Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    i am skeptic about the dealer promising the jing a plate to be available in may 18. still hoping but they still havent ask about my visa, passport, etc... but they say they are processing.. hhhmmm. hey richard, i dont have a rider buddy ,would like to ride with you once i get the plate. even the lone ranger has his kimosabe, hahahah. you can call me sabe.. hahaha - yes I use beijing riders, in the meantime they are good at promising, will definitely know after may 18. waiting sucks. its a pain seeing and using my scooter when the rr is in the storage.

2. #12 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    C-Moto Regular
    I'm also skeptical about the Jing A plates. Not to spoil the party, as it sounds like an awesome purchase, but I rarely trust motorcycle dealers who say they can get such and such a license plate. Until I can actually see the plate on the bike and the paperwork to back it up, I'm leery of making purchases just relying on what some guy says. Unfortunately, nearly 10 years of living in China has made me distrust the "word" of a stranger or acquaintance, unless I know the guy. In other words, I distrust people I meet in China first, and then later trust them as they prove themselves to be trustworthy. This is more or less how the locals do it too.

A few questions that come to mind are: whose name are the Jing A plates going to be registered under, what documentation is required to get the plates, do you need a registered residence in Beijing, if so for how long, how do you prove your residence, and what about a motorcycle drivers license?

3. #13 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    found this from other website posted by setha lee... not sure if it is updated....

DISCLAIMER: I am only sharing my experience here and in no way am I an expert in this area. what worked for me may not work for everyone. I am referencing some websites in this guide, but in no way do I endorse them or guarantee that they will be of use for any purpose. So please don't hold me responsible for you actions. This guide is only a reference. I am only trying to help.

I know a lot of people have asked about license plates and how to buy motorcycles in Beijing so I decided to write this article. I have gone through the process and I hope this basic guide will help answer your questions.
    Foreigners can buy legal bikes and legally register them under their own names in Beijing fairly easily and the process takes only 1 day after you buy the bike. Foreigners can also get a motorcycle license fairly easily as well. It should take about 1 month or so depending on how quickly you can schedule your test with the DMV. let me go through this step by step.

1) Where to get your motorcycle license

To get your motorcycle license you need to take a motorcycle class. It is not really a class, but here is the whole process:

What you will need for the license application:

- valid passport (2 photocopies)
    - valid resident visa valid for more than 90 days (2 photocopies)
    - valid registration form of temporary residence (2 photocopies)
    - 5 x 1-inch photo with white background
    - health check (see below for where to go and get this)
    - 1,560 RMB registration fee (if I remember correctly)
    - Application form (they can fill it for you)
    - Choose a Chinese name (it’s more convenient as most places use Chinese)

Step 1. Do a health check. This can be done at any hospital. There is a hospital right across the subway stop near Lao Shan training school. I did it there before going up the hill to the school. Go directly to the 体检中心 (ti jian zhong xin). They will look at you to make sure you are not missing a leg or an arm, ask to see your passport and one 1-inch photo, make you read a number or two to see if you are colorblind, give you a slip to pay 10RMB at the cashier. You go back, you pick up your health certificate and you on your way. I recommend you do it there because it is always pretty empty so you don't have to wait. Didn't try other hospitals so don't know if it is the same elsewhere.

Step 2. Go to Lao Shan training school (http://www.lsjx.cc/). They are on the west side of Beijing. copy this address 北京市石景山区老山西街15号 and paste in on map.baidu.com and you should know where it is. This is the only place a foreigner can go for motorcycle license. I recommend you take the subway line 1 there. When you get off the subway, just take a cab or ride the two-wheel or 3-wheel motorcycles waiting in front of the station. 5-6RMB one-way for two-wheel or 3-wheel. I suggest you ask the taxi or bike to wait for you or it may take you a while to find one to go down. The school is up the hills. Just give the office them the papers I listed above and they will help you fill the application form. You pay and they will call you in 2 days to schedule a time to go to the DMV and schedule a test.

Step 3. When they call you they will tell you to go to the DMV at a certain time. Just show up there at the arranged time. The place is right at the southwest corner of 十八里店南桥 (shibalidian nan qiao). Again, copy and paste on map.baidu.com to see location. This is the place where you take your driver's test and also where you will process the motorcycle plates (see below). Once you are there the people at Lao Shan will help you schedule the test and pay for it. You will need to come back at the designated time to take the computer test. After you pass the computer test (if you don't, arrange to take it again), give the papers back to Lao Shan so they can arrange a driving test for you. In the meanwhile, you can go to Lao Shan to practice the test course before the actual test. They won’t teach you how to ride a motorcycle, so find someone to teach you or read a book on riding a motorcycle. After you complete the test, you should get your license in about 1 week.
    While you are at the DMV, buy the test booklet/traffic guide book. The English version cost 90RMB and contains all the possible test questions.

NOTE:
    it’s about the same procedure for a car driver’s license if you don’t already have a license from overseas. The classes for cars are more expensive and take longer but you can use Lao Shan training school. If you already have a license from overseas, then it is a lot easier, you just have to take the written test and you get your license a week later. Of course, you still need the documents as listed above.

1) Where to buy a motorcycle

There are several ways you can buy a motorcycle. You can look for shops that sell new or used motorcycles or you can buy them directly from the owner through websites such as http://bj.58.com/danche/ which list a lot of used bikes. It's best if you have a friend that understands Chinese go through the site with you. You can also see http://www.cj750.net for CJ750 bikes. I don't know them personally but they seem highly recommended by a lot of foreigners in Beijing. Whatever you buy, make sure they have all the proper paperwork and include a Jing A or Jing B plate. I will explain the plate type below.

Jing A plates can ride almost anywhere in Beijing except for within 2nd ring and certain restricted areas. Jing B can only ride outside 4th ring. You will see people riding with all types of plates or without plates at all, but they are illegal and risk getting their bike confiscated or being arrested. It goes without saying that Jing A plates are much more expensive than Jing B.
    If you buy a new bike, make sure that the bike already comes with a Jing A plate and that the plate can be transferred (过户) to your name. Beijing technically no longer gives out new Jing A plates. So some people buy bikes from a dealer and the dealer says he will help apply for a Jing A plate, but it may never happen or take months because he himself needs to buy a plate from someone else first and transfer to you. Unless you buy from a BWM, Harley Davidson official dealers who all can get Jing A plates (but will cost you a leg and an arm, and they are still transferred from existing bikes), be careful when you buy a new bike.

Beijing does not make a difference for how big a bike is. As long as it is 50CC or above, then you need a license. It is the same license for all bikes. Same for license plates.

Now, if you buy a used bike from someone who already has a Jing A plate and all the proper paperwork, below is what you do to transfer it to your name:

Step 1. find the bike that you want to buy, make sure they have all the paperwork and can过户. The owner may have to have the bike inspected and have insurance before the bike can be transferred. I suggest you let the owner pay for all costs before transfer unless the bike is really cheap. Then a few hundred yuan won’t matter.

Step 2. go to 北京花乡旧车交易市场 which is a second hand auto market at the North West of 花乡桥 on the south 4th ring. Again copy the name to map.baidu.com to see the location. This is where you process the 过户 which is technically where the seller transfers the bike to your name. You will get an official invoice which says the bike was sold to you. After the bike is transferred to your name, pay the owner. He should give you all the paperwork required to process the license plate as described in step 3.

Step 3. with the invoice, all the other paperwork and the bike, go to the DMV at the location described early (十八里店南桥).

Step 4. Once you are at the DMV, you need to get the bike checked first. This is done in the office inside the parking lot at the right of the main gate. You tell them you need to 过户 to a foreigner (外国人)。 They will check the bike registration number, take a photo of the bike and ask you to take off the license plates. The cost is 20 RMB. For transfer to foreigners, the plate you currently have need to be changed to a new one. You can borrow tools (screwdrivers) from them with a deposit of 100RMB which is returned after you return the tools. Should take about 1 hour or less. After it is done, they will seal everything in an envelope and give it to you.

Step 5. Once you got your bike checked, you take the envelope and your old plates and head in the building in the Foreign Affairs Office. It is on the left side of the building. Have your paperwork checked there at the counter to make sure everything is in order. Once they have checked and the papers are OK, they will tell you to go to windows 18 to hand over your old plates. After you hand over your plates (they will NOT give you a receipt), go back and fill in the application form for plate transfer. If you don't know how to write Chinese, ask some of the staff in the main lobby to help you fill it. Then you go to the counter in the Foreign Affairs Office again and give them the requested paperwork. They will need to see your original passport (make 1 photocopy) and registration form of temporary residence (make 1 photocopy). Once you have handed in the application with all the required paperwork, they will process it immediately. Within 1 hour, they will call your name and give you the new plates (with screws) and the papers back with your name on it. I was told that Foreigners get black plates with white letters, but mine was yellow which is the normal color for locals.
    Voila! you are officially a legal owner of a Jing A motorcycle. Happy riding.

A note on illegal bikes and license plates:
    China has a lot of illegal motorcycles that are smuggled in, usually bigger transmission sports/street/touring (Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Ducati, BMW). They are not registered and cannot get a legal plate. They will usually carry hebei plates or no plate at all. If you buy them, ride them outside of Beijing and don’t get caught or the bike may be confiscated. Beijing is not too strict on motorcycles or helmet rules, but don’t drink and drive. They are very strict on drunk driving.

Drive safe and hope to see more motorcycle friends on the road.

4. #14 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    heres the latest info direct from beijing traffice management bureau
    http://www.bjjtgl.gov.cn/publish/portal1/tab183/

Vehicle Drivers License Procedures and RegulationsSection 3First time application for driver's licenseI. Application
    1. Applicant who meets the requirements applies at Motor Vehicle Administration and receives notice of acceptance by submitting the following:

(1)<Driver's license application form>

(2) Original and photo copy of identification document

(3) Original Health examination certificate issued by hospital of county level and above. Applicants 61 years of age or above apply for driving license for small-size vehicle and people with bad left lower limb apply for small-size vehicle with auto transmission must submit health certificate issued by the hospitals appointed by municipal bureau of medical care.

(4) 8 1-inch color photos with white background

2. First time applicants may apply to drive the following types of vehicles: buses, large freight vehicles, small-size vehicles, small-size vehicles with auto transmission, low speed freight vehicles, three-wheel vehicles, three-wheel motorcycles, two-wheel motorcycles, light motorcycles, trolleys and tramcar

II. Training and testing

1. After the applicant gets notice of acceptance from the Motor Vehicle Administration, he/she should go to Sheng Hua driving school or Shou Feng Driver Training Center(both for motor vehicle only) or Lao Shan Driving School (for motorcycle drivers only) for training on road traffic safety laws and regulations and related knowledge (this training will later be referred to as 'Course 1'). For those applicants who have completed the required training, Motor Vehicle Administration will give the Course 1 test within 30 days from the date in which the applicant makes an appointment. Three days after passing the Course 1 test the applicant will receive the 'Driving Test Permit'.

2. 'Driving Test Permit' is valid for two years after issuance. While the permit is valid, the applicant should go to Sheng Hua driving school, Shou Feng driver training center or Lao Shan driving school (for motorcycle drivers only) to take driving training. For those applicants who have completed the required training, Motor Vehicle Administration will give the applicant a training-field driving test (later referred to as 'Course 2') and a road driving test (later referred to as 'Course 3').

3. Reserving an appointment for the tests

(1)10 days after receiving the 'Driving Test Permit', applicants for small-size vehicles, small-size vehicles with auto transmission, low speed freight vehicles, three-wheel vehicles, three-wheel motorcycles, two-wheel motorcycles, light motorcycles, trolleys and tramcar can make reservation for test of 'Course 2'.

(2) 20 days after receiving the 'Driving Test Permit', applicants for buses and large-size freight vehicles can make reservation for test of 'Course 2'.

(3) 20 days after receiving the 'Driving Test Permit', applicants for small-size vehicles, small-size vehicles with auto transmission, low speed freight vehicles, three-wheel vehicles, three-wheel motorcycles, two-wheel motorcycles, light motorcycles, trolleys and tramcar can make reservation for test of 'Course 3'.

(4) 30 days after receiving the 'Driving Test Permit', applicants for small-size vehicles, small-size vehicles with auto transmission can make reservation for test of 'Course 3'.

(5) 40 days after receiving the 'Driving Test Permit', applicants for large-size freight vehicle can make reservation for test of 'Course 3'.

(6) 60 days after receiving the 'Driving Test Permit', applicants for buses can make reservation for test of 'Course 3'.

4. The test sequence follows in the order of Course 1, Course 2 and Course 3, executed successively. After passing the preceding test, the applicant may participate in the test for the next course. Each test is taken one time, and may be re-taken one time. If the applicant fails the test twice, the current test of course is over, he/she has to re-apply for the test. But the tests for Course 2 and Course 3 must be reserved 20 days later.

5. An applicant who exhibits inappropriate or fraudulent behavior during the test process his/her ualification for the test will be nullified, and all previous results will be invalidated.

III. License issuance

After the applicant has passed test of course 2 and 3, the Motor Vehicle Administration will issue a driver's license within five business days.

5. #15 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by artedesenyo View Post
    i am skeptic about the dealer promising the jing a plate to be available in may 18. still hoping but they still havent ask about my visa, passport, etc... but they say they are processing..
    May 18 seems a little far away, but I do know that the plate-agents that the dealers use are extremely busy at this time of year. I know of one dealer that sold >60 legal bikes last Sunday - and each one of those will be getting plates. Multiply that by the many, many dealers in Beijing ... etc etc. And it seems that most dealers use just a couple of different plate-agents.

We're still waiting for our YBR's "A" plate ... hopefully later this week.

By the way, you can actually ride your bike without a plate for 30 days (I think that is the "rule") so long as you carry a copy of the fapiao & a chopped letter from the dealer. That way, you can get gas, and also not have any problem with the police. You can ask beijingriders about it.

Quote Originally Posted by artedesenyo View Post
    hey richard, i dont have a rider buddy ,would like to ride with you once i get the plate. even the lone ranger has his kimosabe, hahahah. you can call me sabe.. hahaha - yes I use beijing riders, in the meantime they are good at promising, will definitely know after may 18. waiting sucks. its a pain seeing and using my scooter when the rr is in the storage.
    Absolutely! You've got my email address. We can even pop around on scooters until your chick-magnet RR is ready. I always have a blast on my sweety's Suzuki 125 scooter. And those on this board who have ridden with me know that I am an old granny rider, so I will probably be the "sabe" to your lone ranger RR stallion! The point is to just have fun.

By the way, check out this interesting ride report out over on advrider ... and who says scooters are for sissies?

Riding around China on a scooter

6. #16 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
    I'm also skeptical about the Jing A plates. Not to spoil the party, as it sounds like an awesome purchase, but I rarely trust motorcycle dealers who say they can get such and such a license plate. Until I can actually see the plate on the bike and the paperwork to back it up, I'm leery of making purchases just relying on what some guy says. Unfortunately, nearly 10 years of living in China has made me distrust the "word" of a stranger or acquaintance, unless I know the guy. In other words, I distrust people I meet in China first, and then later trust them as they prove themselves to be trustworthy. This is more or less how the locals do it too.
    Hi Steve - I share your concern. But I think that if one uses an established, high-volume, licensed dealer, there are minimal concerns (except that some dealers try to extract an unreasonable profit on the plates). At present, the going price for an "A" plate is around 12 - 13K (but I've heard that this is moving up quickly).

A few questions that come to mind are: whose name are the Jing A plates going to be registered under, what documentation is required to get the plates, do you need a registered residence in Beijing, if so for how long, how do you prove your residence, and what about a motorcycle drivers license?
    You need to have a minimum 6 month visa (any type) in your passport and the Temporary Residence Registration (that little piece of paper from the local police station). Your residence has to be within the 4th ring road to qualify for an "A" plate, or outside for a "B" plate. If you live inside the 4th but want a "B" plate, the dealer can make arrangements by registering the bike in a company's name. You do not need a driving license, of any type, to register the bike in your name. You need a motorcycle license to ride it, though.

Many of the riders I know have Chinese girlfriends/wives - handy for many things, including vehicle registration.
    Last edited by Lao Jia Hou; 04-20-2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: clarification

7. #17 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    C-Moto Regular
    This is extremely useful information, here, thanks a ton!

I only wonder if a similar process can be used for Shanghai where I reside. For example, the ideal situation would be to apply for 'HU C' plates which are used outside the ring road, but I still want to have a downtown residence.

Supposedly this method could work if there are reputable and trustworthy high-volume dealers in the suburbs of Shanghai who could apply for such a HU C plate if I provided proof of a residence in Shanghai and proper visas --- even if it's downtown.

If this method doesn't work, I'd move to the suburbs and give it a whirl, but I'd definitely want to scout out dealers in the suburbs and see what's up first.

It's interesting that the JING A plates only cost 12-13000 RMB or so, because the HU A plates in Shanghai cost almost 50,000 RMB. When you're talking prices that high, the suburban option begins to look mighty attractive.

Then again, this whole thing assumes that Beijing and Shanghai would have similar rules for motorbikes, and I doubt that is the case -- so maybe it's comparing apples to oranges and not worth pursuing. To my knowledge, the Shanghai government highly discourages bikes and has these aggressive crackdowns (for example now you can't get fuel without a plate downtown). It appears that the Beijing government is more favorable towards bikes in a relative sense based on all these posts.

One of the concerns I have about the Shanghai situation is the possibility of a total ban on motorcycles in the coming few years, like what eventually happened with Guangzhou. If a total ban is indeed a possibility, then it would be a waste of money to get a new bike and legal plate right now.

8. #18 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    It's interesting that the JING A plates only cost 12-13000 RMB or so, because the HU A plates in Shanghai cost almost 50,000 RMB. When you're talking prices that high, the suburban option begins to look mighty attractive.

Then again, this whole thing assumes that Beijing and Shanghai would have similar rules for motorbikes, and I doubt that is the case -- so maybe it's comparing apples to oranges and not worth pursuing. To my knowledge, the Shanghai government highly discourages bikes and has these aggressive crackdowns (for example now you can't get fuel without a plate downtown). It appears that the Beijing government is more favorable towards bikes in a relative sense based on all these posts.
    Dear Steve,

To be honest, I think that Shanghai's approach, once you get over the sticker shock, is the most intelligent approach to seriously limiting all vehicle volumes without banning bikes outright. I do not think that Shanghai will ban bikes, but they are getting very serious about weeding out unregistered bikes and unlicensed riders -- which probably comprise about 95% of all bikes on the roads. Having pulled the trigger on the 沪A plate, I'm happy seeing the authorities cleanse the streets of millions of bikes that have no lights or mirrors, are held together with duct tape and baling wire, and are driven by people with absolutely no sense of responsibility for the lives of others.

As for the price, as I've noted again and again, that 48k RMB that you have to fork over for the 沪A plate is not pissed down the drain; rather, it's a pretty decent and highly liquid investment. One MCM member who recently sold a bike had bought his 沪A plate for 42k less than a year ago, and transfered it to a buyer for 48k last month, which is a 14% return on investment. Think of it as a certificate of deposit, and if the high price of admission keeps Shanghai traffic relatively congestion free, I'm grateful. Try riding or driving in Beijing and you'll understand how fortunate we are.

I'd suggest you do what Dewsnap has done and go for the suburban 沪C plate. I see plenty of 沪C bikes here in downtown, and they rarely get popped. When they do get popped, if the plate and your drivers license are legal the worst possible outcome is a 200 rmb fine and a point against your license and you ride home to ride another day. (With a fake plate, or no plate, your bike will be confiscated and you might lose your license and even put your residence permit at risk.) And the 沪C plate is also just as liquid and transferable as the 沪A plate. Your wallet is about US$1200 lighter for the 沪C plate, but you are legal everywhere but downtown, can make occasional forays downtown with only limited financial exposure, are free to head out of town at your leisure -- and can recover the $1200 plate charge if and when you sell the bike.

Let us know how you get on.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #19 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hi Euphonius, good information here! Yes, that C plate sounds like the best approach and is the main goal I'm working on for next year. Will update here. One thing I'm not entirely sure about is whether the new plates are indeed being issued in Shanghai or not. I've heard mixed reports, some say the city stopped issuing new plates after 2006, others say you can still register. When you got your bike registered, what year was it, and was it in your own name?

10. #20 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Steve,

There are no new motorcycle plates being issued in Shanghai -- neither 沪A nor 沪C. There is now ONLY a secondary market. That means for you to have a plate, another motorcyclist has to sell his. So the supply is extremely limited, which partly explains the high price. Worse yet, if a motorcyclist decides to buy a car, he can legally transfer his motorcycle plate to a car, thereby reducing the pool of available plates by one. It does not work in the other direction; you cannot transfer a car plate to a bike. Unless the authorities resume issuing new motorcycle plates, the pool will continue to shrink. It's not a great outlook, but it's better than a ban.

Now you'd think that this would drive the price of motorcycle plates even higher on the secondary market, but for now that has not happened. What does happen is that the price of a motorcycle plate in the secondary market closely tracks the price of NEW car plates issued at auction in the primary market. Because there is intense demand for car plates, but Shanghai authorities -- quite wisely in my opinion -- don't want to flood the market, the monthly auction price keeps rising, and that's why the motorcycle plate price keeps rising. That's what makes a motorcycle plate both a very expensive proposition, yet also a decent financial investment.

Until such time as the policy changes. TIC.

For the record, I purchased my bike new in 2010, and purchased my plate through the secondary market at the going price, which was about 42k. The bike came from the factory in Chongqing, and was not plated in advance. Two entirely separate transactions. There is no Jialing dealer in Shanghai, and I took care of procuring the plates myself, legally, through the standard process. I did have some help with that process -- a handler who lurks at the vehicle management bureau and knows all the ins and outs as well as all the desk jockeys there -- but his services were reasonably priced, and cut the time involved down to hours rather than days or weeks.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast