Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
    So with that in mind, what happens if the former owners just decide to destroy the bikes and not bother selling off their registration or transfering to a car?
    Euphonius is correct - it would be an exceptionally rare event, IMHO, that an owner of a legal plate on a junker, or the owner of a plate that is at the end of its 11 year lifespan, would be unaware of the plate's market value.

The "rule" in Beijing is that when you destroy a bike, you have a 6 month timeframe to register it on a new, legal bike (i.e., meeting C3 emissions standards). If you don't, the plate lapses (i.e., then the total number of legal bikes would be 99).

This happened with many sidecars in Beijing (including one of mine). Sidecars are a 3-wheel vehicle (different type of registration). Most in Beijing were a 1997 registration, expiring in 2008. Unfortunately, in 2008, there was not a replacement sidecar being manufactured that could be registered. Therefore, if you destroyed your sidecar, there wasn't a new sidecar available to put the new 11 year plate on. Many sidecar riders in Beijing are riding around without legal plates.

You also come across the situation where a legal junker has not been tested/inspected for several years. The penalties & fees add up very quickly, into the thousands of rmb. Additionally, a person's traffic fines have to be cleared before a plate can be transferred - some people have outstanding fines in the tens of thousands of rmb - there was even one case that hit the news of a guy who had several hundred thousand rmb in outstanding fines. Damn traffic cams! So, those plates would obviously lapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
    If there are multiple bikes destroyed in this way, does this increase the quota of available license plates that could be potentially re-transfered to a brand new bike?
    The two main agents in Beijing used to have a large inventory of plates within this 6 month timeframe. With the tremendous recent demand in Beijing, however, the agents now need to find legal bikes that can be destroyed (hence, the several week delay for many new purchasers getting plated). But there are lots out there, as is evidenced by the many online ads for used junkers with legal plates. Best price I've recently seen is 10K for an A plate on a junker - but add in the scrapping fees, reg fees, time, effort, etc., and you're up around 12K.

I asked a senior policeman, once, how many 京A plates are out there. He wouldn't tell me the exact number, but said it was less than a hundred thousand. A tiny number compared to the several million cars in Beijing.

2. #32 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    Having some problems with the dealer now, the plate they say is available now but I cannot come with them as I am very busy so they just get my original passport and residence permit with them to make the plate transfer.... Now I check the bike in they're stock room it has 20 km on the speedo ! I consider this now as a second hand bike as a new bike has 0 km .... Do you guys think 20km on a new bike because of transfer plate reasonable! I find it unacceptable. If so what should I do.?

3. #33 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    If you trusted them enough to hold your original passport and permit you may as well trust them the next bit!
    Does the bike itself have to be inspected? They do here in Aus.
    It may have been 10 km away to get the registration sorted and they wanted to use your fuel? Maybe someone took the bike to be registered and went home for a bowl of soup on the way back, just ask them I reckon. I don't think you can easily refuse it and get all your money back can you?

I wouldn't worry, they saved you a trip and some time, be grateful for that. In Australia I had to arrange to borrow car and trailer and take the bloody bike 70 km on the trailer to be inspected for registration as it is illegal to ride it into the registration office unregistered of course! And I had to pay extra fees so you got off lightly. And I have to pay hundreds of dollars each year for registration. Not that I do ...
    You lot get off easy!
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

4. #34 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by artedesenyo View Post
    Having some problems with the dealer now, the plate they say is available now but I cannot come with them as I am very busy so they just get my original passport and residence permit with them to make the plate transfer.... Now I check the bike in they're stock room it has 20 km on the speedo ! I consider this now as a second hand bike as a new bike has 0 km .... Do you guys think 20km on a new bike because of transfer plate reasonable! I find it unacceptable. If so what should I do.?
    Well in some ways count yourself fortunate that they can get you the plate without you being present (I assume it will be registered in your name?). Here it used to be possible for my local dealer to register my motorbikes/scooters in my name without me being present at the traffic police station, but that changed and I have to attend, even if all I do is sit there in the registrations building and let the dealer handle the paperwork, and not do, or utter a word except to sign the registration form as required.

I'd also not be too overly concerned nor critical over some mileage on the display, after all they'd have to get your bike to and from the dealership to the traffic police (maybe even more than once), so I'd cut them some slack. I'd hasten to add, to do otherwise will likely result in increased sense of frustration and a tainted experience. You'll likely want/need the dealers assistance one way or another in the future - just saying... no when to pick you battles TIC, this is likely not one of them.

5. #35 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    If you trusted them enough to hold your original passport and permit you may as well trust them the next bit!
    Does the bike itself have to be inspected? They do here in Aus...
    Yes, the motorcycle will be photographed, inspected and plated. New motorcycles, motorscooters and cars are inspected same day they apply for registration/plate. The next inspection is two years thereafter, followed by another two years after that, then yearly. Good to go up until 11 years then the vehicle has to be scrapped irrespective of condition. Them's the rules!

6. #36 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Yes, the motorcycle will be photographed, inspected and plated. New motorcycles, motorscooters and cars are inspected same day they apply for registration/plate. The next inspection is two years thereafter, followed by another two years after that, then yearly. Good to go up until 11 years then the vehicle has to be scrapped irrespective of condition. Them's the rules!
    artedesenyo, it appears that that 20km was consumed during your dealer's trip to the registration office. The guy who helped me through the process, 刘志东 in Shanghai, was more cautious. Since I couldn't make it in the early morning for the event, 刘志东 hired a small truck to get my bike over to the registration office at the cost of 40 RMB. So I had 0 on the speedo when I first got my hand on it. Jeff was more venturesome and rode his bike himself for the event without a plate, which technically speaking was not legal and therefore involved a certain amount of risk. Take a look of Jeff beaming from his new JH600 on its illegal virgin trip: http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...00-in-Shanghai
    The dealer must have thought that you wanted him to make the trip for you when you passed him your passport and permit. Not that many people in China are willing to pay the extra 40 rmb for hauling the bike to the registration office.

7. #37 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    what should I do.?
    Go pick up your bike and enjoy it. 20km is nothing, and they did all the reg work for you. Amazing they can do that without you being present at the registry and photographed.

Unless you build the bike yourself, most dealerships assemble the bike and test ride it to be sure everything is OK. Pretty much standard practice.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

8. #38 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey artedsenyo, can you give us an update?!.. as I am also considering getting a Daytona with jing-A plates from BJRiders... and I would like to know the end to your story??!!

9. #39 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    well i got the bike and the plate but not so happy with it, it was delivered to me with 170km, a big and small scratch at the right side fork, told me it was because of the box but i know it was not as i have seen it before and dont have it, they said i bring it in their shop and they will paint over it. also the battery have problems just 1 day of use then i need to change battery and charge me for it, not covered in warranty even the scratch, one more thing as my wife is chinese she was angry at the insurance card as it was not in my name, they said i can change the insurance beneficiary after 1 year. sucks. the assembly of the electronics is not good as electric tapes are wearing off and clutch wire is too tight when you make a right turn,. theres one good thing though, the sales service is good i guess his name is paul. all in all not recommended, try richards advice, go to qili.

10. #40 Re: just ordered theregal raptor DAYTONA 350 
    C-Moto Noob
    Think i'll pop down to Qili tomorrow!.. cheers for the info... I used a similar beijing bike website previously and basically got a piece of junk. I am not looking to get shafted again... But the Regal Raptor Daytona does look like a lovely little cruiser if you can get your hands on one from a decent dealer!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234