Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: from China to Europe 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    @slabo - a misunderstanding between us, i know that the Yamaha can do the trip. Was wondering about the Shineray.

after all whats been said here it seems like ill be getting Yamaha (humanbeing i cant read chinese so dunno what is that thread about)

Does anyone know what are the differences between YBR125G and YBR125 apart from the front mudguard?
    YBR125G supposed to be dual sport but im not sure if it has stronger suspension and things like that

2. #12 Re: from China to Europe 
    That Yamaha looks like a good choise for him.

3. #13 Re: from China to Europe 
    Quote Originally Posted by modron
    after all whats been said here it seems like ill be getting Yamaha (humanbeing i cant read chinese ....
    translate.google.com will give u a basic idea . That unlucky man bought a new '10 Apr made (sum1 stole his good old YBR) "G". After sales can't slove those ???
    #33 is a famous bike mechanic that pointed out parts quality aren't as b4 due to his personal experience.
    #43 also report similar issue in '10 Mar made !!!

4. #14 Re: from China to Europe 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Our household has a few 125s, including the recent acquisition of a Yamaha YBR125 (pics to come after we pick up the plates). Not the "G" model, as it is my sweety's second learner motorcycle.

We are replacing an older, basic, Honda 125 which has been an incredibly durable bike. I personally didn't like the Honda because it has a drum front brake and a 5 speed circular gearbox, but the thing was a real workhorse. After 6,000 kms of pretty hard riding, it still runs and looks like new! I'm impressed. I doubt this thing can die, despite my best efforts.

Honda 125.jpg

Also have a Suzuki 125 scooter that I've had up to 110 km/h (yes, it was dangerous and scary on those little wheels) - amazingly peppy engine in the Suzuki.

Zipped around a little on the YBR125 before purchase, and it seems like it is going to be my main ride when sweety isn't looking. It is definitely a fun bike.

Although not my first choice, I'd be comfortable taking either the Yamaha or Honda long distance in China, as long as I stayed away from expressways. Don't know about the roads in other countries, though. The "G" model looks like it might be better for the task.

5. #15 Re: from China to Europe 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    ...an older, basic, Honda 125 which has been an incredibly durable bike. I personally didn't like the Honda because it has a drum front brake and a 5 speed circular gearbox, but the thing was a real workhorse. After 6,000 kms of pretty hard riding, it still runs and looks like new! I'm impressed. I doubt this thing can die, despite my best efforts.
    Those Honda machine are tough as nail Many bike can round the odometer w/o top end rebuilt
    That body style is called 五羊款 . Every bike maker copies it but using pushrod machine. Honda make "CGL" finally...
    Made in Guangzhou

There was a saying 北五羊,南CG
    The REAL anscstor 五羊A (Search kiwi site for GL145) assembled using CKD (NO jv yet) since late 80s. http://motorcycle.sh.cn/t_58311.htm.
    Tibetans loves these bike style
    http://motorcycle.sh.cn/t_16860093_1.htm due to good old experience on that legend "A" http://motorcycle.sh.cn/t_429875_1.htm
    -
    Those "copycat" pushrod machine isn't too bad 40k km w/o rebuilt is "norm". A 杂牌车 finish it 1?K km trip w/o ???
    http://motorcycle.sh.cn/viewthread.p...=163526&page=1
    Last edited by humanbeing; 04-07-2011 at 09:43 AM.

6. #16 Re: from China to Europe 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Thanks for help guys,
    this honda looks great but yamaha is more popular so it will be easier to find parts in other countries.
    Ill didnt decided yet, still have some time, fist I have to get Chinese license :)

7. #17 Re: from China to Europe 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hey guys!

Just thought I'd chime in. I would second ChinaV's post. My piston exploded in Thailand after 5000~km, but it was because of a lack of oil, not anything wrong with the bike. I have had only to replace the fork seals and wheel bearings on the GY7 so far at over 10000km. A pretty solid bike, especially considering a lot of the terrain that we've been over!

However, GRF_Pete's bike has broken and broken and broken. Plenty of issues, but I may chalk it up to the fact that he lays it down a lot more. However, again back to ChinaV's post: I would go with anything he says :D. I love my bike and would recommend it to anybody, but again, it seems like the experiences are quite varied.

Also, thanks to Felix for giving us a bump. Best of luck with your prep and I will definitely be following!

Best of luck with the Yamaha, though. Hooray for motorcycle trips!\

Edit: ~19 liter tank is good for about 500km a fill for me at about 20 to 25 USD per tank. Also, forgot to mention, as for parts, the GY-7 is pretty much a 1990s XR-250 knock-off. The engine and chassis parts are pretty easy to come upon, the only difference being a shorter stroke. I'm not really sure where the swingarm design is lifted off, though...

Anyways, I feel like I'm kinda derailing the thread because you've already made up your mind, but I thought I'd rep the Green Monster a lil bit!

8. #18 Re: from China to Europe 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Thanks for the info. Helpful.

I didnt make up my mind yet. Still have time as im having loads of problems with paper work needed for Chinese Drivers License. Will buy a bike once im all legal to use it. Ive ridden around 20000km in Latin America without license but i dont wanna risk that in China, simply cos i dont want to be kicked out from the country.

Quote Originally Posted by GRF_Hans View Post
    as for parts, the GY-7 is pretty much a 1990s XR-250 knock-off.
    you got me thinking here.....
    I will try to find and buy this honda engine and put it on a Chinese frame like this http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=9273219038
    Does anyone know where i can find engine like this?

p.s. Hans, great trip you are having!!!!! im following your site ;)

9. #19 Re: from China to Europe 
    That taobao seller u quoted can build this http://yueye023.com/read.php?tid=1182 to ur spec

10. #20 Re: from China to Europe 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    Thanks for the info. Helpful.

I didnt make up my mind yet. Still have time as im having loads of problems with paper work needed for Chinese Drivers License. Will buy a bike once im all legal to use it. Ive ridden around 20000km in Latin America without license but i dont wanna risk that in China, simply cos i dont want to be kicked out from the country.

you got me thinking here.....
    I will try to find and buy this honda engine and put it on a Chinese frame like this http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=9273219038
    Does anyone know where i can find engine like this?

p.s. Hans, great trip you are having!!!!! im following your site ;)
    I think it's difficult to find original Honda engines here in China, at least not brand new. But have a look at a discussion I had with ChinaV 2 months ago. he was reccomending this engine, but I didn't have the balls to go through with the whole transplant... Too much bike gut goring for me to handle now, bike is just sitting in the corner rotting now. But if you go through with this, I'll follow for sure.

Having said that, putting a new engine does not solve reliability problems, it just solves the power problem. Since I'm staying in China for a long time, this mod if a good investment for me. But for your trip, I think you are concerned about reliability more than power. Think camel or horse to cross the desert? I vote for the Honda 150. Humanbeing knows Chinese bikes in China better than anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    yamaha is more popular so it will be easier to find parts in other countries
    Why do you think so? For small displacement bikes, Honda is #1 from what I see. I can't back this with real figures, I just remember reading this somewhere.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast