Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 31 1231121 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Soberpete's YBR 250 
    C-Moto Guru
    Gentlemen... and any ladies who are interested... this is my thread about the much talked about Yamaha YBR 250.
    With a little help from an old Chinese friend and motorbike mechanic I was able to find a Yamaha dealer in the middle of Zhangdian, Zibo, who would sell me a 2011 YBR 250 for 23,600 + 350 for number plates.
    This thread will begin small but shall grow to be all that I have to show and tell you about this bike.
    I am honoured to say that ZMC888 will be riding my YBR 250 and giving his full run down of it on this thread also. He knows his bikes inside out and can provide a critical analysis on the Yamaha whereas I, on the other hand, have never ridden anything other than the worst quality Chinese rip-off of a cruiser and I have only really good things to say about it.

DSC00796.jpgDSC00798.jpgDSC00802.jpgDSC00812.jpg
    Last edited by soberpete; 04-17-2011 at 12:00 AM.

2. #2 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    C-Moto Guru
    Until now I've only had a day and a half with this bike. I did about 20km on it around the city today and I am dying for a chance to get it out of the city and onto the open road. I shouldn't be riding it at all until the plates are on but I had to ride it a little. The number plates are due to arrive on Monday so I may have to wait until the weekend after next before I have time to take it out on a proper ride.

I only have a small bunch of photos for now (which many of you may have already seen) but there will be plenty more to come. I love a good photo or two and want to put a good number of decent ones up on this thread for all to see.

DSC00831.jpgDSC00830.jpgDSC00832.jpgDSC00833.jpg

3. #3 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    Thanks of the report.

Are you going to do some longer trip? Would be a pity to break that kind of bike on it

4. #4 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    C-Moto Guru
    I originally believed the small rubber coated orbs on the underside of each peg to be grinding orbs for when you want to lean the bike right over around corners but ZMC888 pointed out that they are most likely protectors for if and when the bike gets dropped. The pegs are also spring loaded so that they can flex right up to the side of the bike but will spring back down if unobstructed.

DSC00818.jpg

The welding could be better but it's not bad and I'm not that fussy. ZMC888 reminded me that this YBR 250 is still made in China and only costs 23,600rmb vs the same bike back in the UK which is currently selling at around 35,000rmb/ 3500 GBP. I am much happier with the Chinese made one . The important things are all in the right place and it works just fine.

DSC00804.jpg

The engine looks pretty small to my untrained eye. It seems to be about the same size as my JD150-15 engine. I like the fact that it's nice and compact. Maybe my JD150-15's engine was just made to look big.
    It's very quiet, smooth, feisty and fast! I got it up to 110kph coming home from class on a big road this evening and it was only at 7000rpm. It simply flies through all of the gears and I'm in 5th before I know it.

Engine 3.jpg

Yamalube anyone? I don't know what it is but I know that I like it.

DSC00806.jpg
    Last edited by soberpete; 04-20-2011 at 10:05 AM.

5. #5 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Thanks. We don't have a proper review of this bike here on MCM, it's about time. Ironic, now seems this is one of the few bikes you could legally buy in China.

6. #6 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Thanks of the report.

Are you going to do some longer trip? Would be a pity to break that kind of bike on it
    Of course! I will be taking it on plenty of long trips in the future. First step: Wait for the plates.
    I'm sorry but I don't quite understand your second sentence... "Would be a pity to break that kind of bike on it"

7. #7 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    Thanks. We don't have a proper review of this bike here on MCM, it's about time. Ironic, now seems this is one of the few bikes you could legally buy in China.
    It's legal and that does wonders for my peace of mind. It also seems to be a more financially better option for a 250 in China as time goes on. Reports are that Dewsnap got a great offer just in time as his bike model is now at about 18,000 in most places. ChinaV's Yingang has also been made more expensive (around 17,000 or more I think) since the EURO3 induced change to fuel injection. So now there is a much smaller gap between the price of some less reliable Chinese models and a very trustworthy Japanese model that has been made famous by it's company's reputation.

8. #8 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    Yahmalube is Yamaha's brand of oil, it’s a very good oil.

9. #9 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    C-Moto Guru
    I'm going to take more photos tomorrow of the bike's bits and pieces that I want you all to see. I'm sure that you're all going to like the little things and how it's all conveniently laid out.
    As for my ride report until now I can only say that it's such a comfortable ride . It's the first 250 I've ever ridden and it feels powerful to me. I could be in low or high revs in any gear and it'll always throw me back when I whack the throttle on... especially in the lower gears, of course .
    I haven't leaned more than about 30 degrees on it yet but I have thrown it around and done so with ease. It feels lightweight and is just so easy to use. Some might call it a beginners bike and I wouldn't disagree but I believe that it's also desired by those who know how to ride.

10. #10 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    C-Moto Guru
    One last post for this evening. Got to go to sleep soon.
    ZMC888 told me that it would come with Sakura tires and it certainly did.
    I haven't measured them but the rear tire is only an a cm (the width of my finger) or so wider than the forward tire despite the rear tire looking much fatter.

DSC00810.jpgDSC00800.jpg

They handle wonderfully but I wouldn't hesitate to get a set of western tires for this bike when I get the chance.
    Last edited by soberpete; 04-20-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Page 1 of 31 1231121 ... LastLast