Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
  1. #191 Re: ! 
    You're reading in my mind !
    I plan to post a new thread about this, to show that it is possible (I hope anyway !) and how to do it.
    To be completely honest, I don't see that as difficult, and yes, I've been living in China for a while. ;-))

The Yamaha store should take care of the plate registration for me, I will provide to them all the necessary documents.
    What is unknown to me right now is the process to change the insurance to the new bike, and the procedure to sell the Honda when I'll find a buyer. I especially want a document proving that I'm not the owner anymore of the Honda after selling it, not to have any liability if the buyer does something stupid with it. ;-))

2. #192 Re: ! 
    Quote Originally Posted by soberpete View Post
    Marco and Barry: Thanks for the info about cleaning the chain. I have WD40 and a brush at home, just need to get around to doing it.
    Fred: I don't see it as hijacking, it's more of an addition that interests more people so I'd like to say "thanks"!
    No problem!

Just take care to brush with a metal brush and WD40 ONLY on the sides of the chain (where is dirty and rusty), and absolutely not on top and bottom of the chain.
    If you brush in that direction the metal brush may damage the O'rings and that's no good.

One thing puzzles me though, you and Barry talk about oiling the chain, I would normally use grease back home, you use oil? what's the advantage?

Cheers

3. #193 Re: ! 
    C-Moto Guru
    Don't brush the top or the bottom... got it. I noticed that the top and bottom of the chain remained shiney silver while the sides of the chain went rusty. Naturally I would have left that part alone but thanks for the info.

Greasing/oiling the chain: Whenever I ask the local mechanics to lube up the chain they always grab a little metal pot containing a dark liquid and lay it all over. I've never seen anyone using grease over here. You use a thickish sort of grease and rub it on with your finger or what?

4. #194 Re: ! 
    Local mechanics often simply use engine oil to lube the chain.

My opinion is that if you use "a thickish sort of grease", it will quickly become a "paste" full of sand and dirt with Chinese roads. The chain and sprockets would be damaged by it over time (grinding) and the chain will not be as "flexible" as it should (rigid spots).

5. #195 Re: ! 
    Yeah, always diverse opinions on this and it depends on conditions and type of chain. I live and ride in very gritty, muddy or dusty road conditions. I use grease but the usual hosing down after every few rides or after a long ride certainly takes most of the destructive crap with it and the grease melts with friction heat and penetrates where it should so it still doesn't rust as quickly. You have to get suitable o ring stuff anyway if you use them.

The thinner 'cleansing protectants' such a swd 40 and the modern sticky sprays work brilliantly, although some are wary of them, but they need very regular application and my overall decision for me is grease works fine. Yes, you have to maintain but less than you do with thinner stuffs i have tried out. Build up hasn't been a problem because I do hose down now and again or purposefully take a trip through a puddle with my feet up high ... more like.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

6. #196 Re: ! 
    I would normally use WD40 only as a cleaner, after it's clean I put grease on it, I would spread the grease with the aid of a toothbrush in order to put as less as possible of it, but that was some time ago back in old Europe.

I think I'm going to invest a 100 quai in a spray lube for chain available on taobao, I've see there are several seller for Motul products. Will see how it goes, anybody uses these products already?

Oh, Peter, please let me know if that rust on the exhaust piece come from the nut and the bolt or it's that piece of metal welded to the exhaust that is rusting in the inside.

Because if it's the nut that is rusting I want to change mine to a stainless steel one before it starts rusting.

Cheers

7. #197 Re: ! 
    I used the spray lube, a whole can lasted a couple of years, but grease, well I still have the can I got fifteen years ago and it is working just as well. Spray is easier is all.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

8. #198 Re: ! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Whatever you do, don't run your chain unlubricated, which not only will shorten the life of your sprockets and chain but also subjects you the rider to increasing risk of the chain jamming or jumping off the sprockets, which can cause a crash. WD-40, the subject of endless debates as to whether it should be used to clean your chain, definitely should NOT be used to LUBE your chain. WD-40 is a solvent, not a lubricant.

Get yourself a can of spray lube and lightly lube your chain before every ride. Here in China you can get your bike spray washed almost anywhere for 5 or 10 RMB, which will knock all the gunk and crap off the chain. Do that, then pull out your spray lube and hit her again.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #199 Re: ! 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by marcomagica View Post
    Oh, Peter, please let me know if that rust on the exhaust piece come from the nut and the bolt or it's that piece of metal welded to the exhaust that is rusting in the inside.

Because if it's the nut that is rusting I want to change mine to a stainless steel one before it starts rusting.

Cheers
    The last time I looked, it seemed as though there was no rust at all on that nut and bolt; it's purely the backside of that piece of metal. I'd like to get that rust on my exhaust sorted out soon.

10. #200 Re: ! 
    Pete, I guess you solved the dented rim problem by now, but if it may help : http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3089796117

Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast