Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
  1. #141 Re: YBR 250 needed URGENT!!! 
    C-Moto Regular
    if i had no "pissed you off" i would have mentioned earlier that i more and more belive (or lets say I BELIVE) that the ybr250cc is manufactured in china. especially since i saw the prices in brazil are about the same as in europe (roughly double china).
    @ bmw/loncin : read that in papers as well. sources with bmw munich say that is not entirely true, they are getting parts of the engine from loncin/china. but maybe they just do not want to admit they are sourcing in china. hope the will built the whole bike in china soon so it is available for a reasonable price.

2. #142 Re: YBR 250 needed URGENT!!! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by heiri View Post
    @ bmw/loncin : read that in papers as well. sources with bmw munich say that is not entirely true, they are getting parts of the engine from loncin/china. but maybe they just do not want to admit they are sourcing in china. hope the will built the whole bike in china soon so it is available for a reasonable price.
    That's nonsense about the bimmer 650 single engines not being made by Loncin. I know a guy from Loncin who confirmed it to me, and there have been plenty of posts on the web, including some cited here in MCM, showing photographic evidence of the 650 single being made lock, stock and cylinder in Chongqing.

I can understand why BMW would not want people to know this, but it's a fact. It's probably also a very good strategy.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #143 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    I thought of such a situation before I started using the lock, so I got one of these cord things on Taobao for 5 or 10 rmb, but it was too short, I never used it. Maybe you can try to find one.

Could you tell me how to call that "cord thing" in chinese? I'm trying to find it on taobao but I can't find a suitable translation for an effective search....

Cheers

4. #144 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    I went to 'taobao focus' and input 'cable lock' which found dozens including this combination one http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8...cm_cat=0&pm1=1

I have one for my m'bike here in Oz alongside a chain and padlock - but be careful, the cheaper cable ones can be forced or cut easily enough, and the thinner ones are for laptops not 'bikes.

http://s.taobao.com/search?q=cable+l...d=tb.index&rt=
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

5. #145 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by marcomagica View Post
    "cord thing"

Cheers
    This "碟刹锁弹簧提醒绳" term yielded one result, bought >> http://s.taobao.com/search?q=%B5%FA%...=1311347225406 << last year, was too short, never used it.
    One day I started the bike, first gear, and then I heard something snap.. I look down and seems my disc lock snapped! That was last year, I still didn't buy a lock.. this is the lock I that snapped >> http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=974061053

It was locked on the rear disc.

C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    That's nonsense about the bimmer 650 single engines not being made by Loncin. I know a guy from Loncin who confirmed it to me, and there have been plenty of posts on the web, including some cited here in MCM, showing photographic evidence of the 650 single being made lock, stock and cylinder in Chongqing.

I can understand why BMW would not want people to know this, but it's a fact. It's probably also a very good strategy.

cheers!
    could well be. dont know how far my bmw friends are involved there. stays to hope that we will see this engine (or at least an engine with similar quality) in a china made (and priced) bike soon.
    english is not my native language but i guess "lock, stock and cylinder" means the complete engine? correct? thanks ::: ok, just googled confirmed!

7. #147 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    Thank you very much Slabo!

I will buy 2 of those since you say it's too short and they are real cheap.

I've bought this but I don't want to endanger my manhood on the gas tank by forgetting that on the front disk.

I plan to use that on the front wheel and pull the cord thing till the handlebar.

8. #148 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    Quote Originally Posted by heiri
    If i had no "pissed you off" i would have mentioned earlier that i more and more belive (or lets say I BELIVE) that the ybr250cc is manufactured in china. especially since i saw the prices in brazil are about the same as in europe (roughly double china).
    Now you are making up lies to prove me wrong, sheesh! The F650 engine is famously completely made in China, Loncin are very proud of it and have massive billboard posters of it in their advertising. I really can't understand why you have such difficulty being a nearly-noob!
    Last edited by ZMC888; 07-24-2011 at 12:19 AM.

9. #149 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    Quote Originally Posted by marcomagica View Post
    ...I've bought this but I don't want to endanger my manhood on the gas tank by forgetting that on the front disk...
    Dear Marco, anyone using a rotor lock like this makes the stupid mistake -- at least once -- of riding with it still on the rotor. Not pretty. I got one of those slinky cords in bright red from Simon at Qiyi in Shanghai, and I put the long end around my ignition key cylinder so I see it when I put the key in.

But I also take one other precaution: Rather than putting the lock on the most easily accessible part of the rotor, i.e., the top, thus giving it at least 270 degrees of rotation before collision, I make sure to put it on just below the caliper assembly so that if I do try to ride with it on the lock can only travel 1-2cm through 10 degrees of rotation or less. In other words, not enough distance or time to build any momentum at all.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

10. #150 Re: ! 
    Quote Originally Posted by heiri View Post
    could well be. dont know how far my bmw friends are involved there. stays to hope that we will see this engine (or at least an engine with similar quality) in a china made (and priced) bike soon.
    english is not my native language but i guess "lock, stock and cylinder" means the complete engine? correct? thanks ::: ok, just googled confirmed!
    “Could well be"???

Heiri, now I'm beginning to understand why ZMC888 finds your posts so exasperating! What is it about facts that you find so difficult?

Your BMW buddies may be in denial, but that Loncin-built BMW engine is famous here in China, and very widely known. People who have visited the factory have posted pictures of the production line and the BMW engine for all to see, including this guy from India.

Here's another thread, alas in Chinese, though you can use Google's Chrome browser and accept its offer to translate the entire post into English, or German, in 2 seconds. The main poster is a Loncin employee. Even without translating, you can scroll through a few pages and see from the pictures alone that Loncin indeed builds the BMW 650 thumper (not to be confused with the BMW 650 twin, which is actually closer to 800cc) in its entirety and is very publicly proud of this fact, as are many chinese forum posters. Here are a few images:

I won't translate the whole thing, but the text where you see "2007" translates as: "In 2007, the first Loncin-manufactured BMW 650cc engine comes off the production line, and, in fact, 1200 Loncin-manufactured BMW 650cc engines are OEM'd ("wholesale sold") into Europe, and, from this point Loncin becomes the principal manufacturer of the BMW 650cc engine."

The sign in Chinese reads: "Ceremony marking the 1,000th BMW 650 engine to come off the (Loncin) production line". The Maotai they are drinking may be fake, but this is indeed the Loncin factory and the engines are real!

Still not convinced?

Perhaps you'd like to buy one of these Chinese-made BMW engines. Prepare 12,000 RMB and browse to this link on Taobao (again, use Google's Chrome browser), which is where I found this image:

I do share your hope that we'll see that BMW engine in Chinese bikes, though I doubt BMW would be happy about that. No matter, Loncin has the technology and ability and perhaps already is doing this. The engine in our 600cc Jialings, which was designed by AVL of Austria, is a very close cousin of that BMW thumper. It's entirely possible that Jialing, rather than making them in house, outsources them from Loncin, which a just few miles across town in Chongqing.

The problem with the China market is that it's too restrictive and too small for anything above 200 or 250cc. Until motorcycles lose their stigma as farm vehicles and "the poor man's automobile", and become cherished for recreation and commuting by the middle class, demand for mid-sized and large displacement bikes in China will remain too limited to drive such innovation.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast