Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
  1. #101 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    Hi Sober, How much is the dealer price of the YBR 250?

2. #102 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by marcomagica View Post
    Hi Sober, How much is the dealer price of the YBR 250?
    Hey there... Marco? You can call me Pete.
    The full price for the delivery + assembly and the 2011 YBR 250 itself altogether was 23,600rmb.I paid almost another 300 for the Zibo 淄博 number plates but that was it.

This price was offered to me through a friend of mine who had some sort of connection/relation (guanxi 关系) with the Yamaha dealer. I think that i got a very fair price but may have been charged around 26k without my friend's help.

3. #103 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Price in Shanghai is in the same ballpark, closer to 26k than 23k. And of course that's before the legendary worth-their-weight-in-platinum Shanghai plates....

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #104 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    C-Moto Guru
    Dear God... Shanghai plates sound like a nightmare but then I would never dream of trying to own a vehicle in that area.
    Poor old Dewsnap paid a fortune for his Raptor's numberplate and he doesn't even live in the city center, right? I wonder how much it would be to plate a little 100cc scooter in the middle of Shanghai. If I were there I would probably invest in a good quality e-bike.

5. #105 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    Hi Pete,
    Nice to meet you!

They asked my friend 26K at one dealer and 28k at another, which seems a bit steep to me. I guess the new emission regulation may have had an impact there.

Anyway Cheers, I'll tell my friend (which is purchasing the bike for me) those prices, hopefully it will give him an edge in negotiations.

And yeah, Shanghai plates are really crazy, but it is an investment as you can later resell, that is, of course, if policy doesn't change from one day to another (as it is often the case in China)

Thanks,
    Marco

6. #106 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Wow thats really pretty cool stuff, its features are great and comfortable to ride on these bike, YBR 250 is really very nice bike, are you happy with your bike.

7. #107 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jamewatson View Post
    Wow thats really pretty cool stuff, its features are great and comfortable to ride on these bike, YBR 250 is really very nice bike, are you happy with your bike.
    It's cool, got great features, a very comfortable ride and a whole load of fun plus more. I am very happy with this bike. It was made by people who really knew what they were doing and I never get fed up with it. You thinking of getting one? I'd say it's one of the few best bikes one could get out here in China (legally) but over in the USA the options are far greater. I don't know what I'd buy if I were there.

***YBR 250 UPDATE***

I haven't abandoned this thread. I let it go cold for a while and I didn't let anyone know why. What happened was that on the 23rd of May I dropped the bike for the first time, denting the front wheel into an unusable form. I had to wait about 5 weeks for the Yamaha dealer to order me a new one. During that time I couldn't ride the bike and had no idea how long I was going to have to wait for the new wheel. Every time I asked them, they said that their contacts in Jinan were ordering from contacts in Shanghai who were ordering from... god knows where. They were very apologetic but honestly had no idea how long it was going to take.

I was devastated by this little accident. There are two main reasons for this. Firstly, I dropped it while trying to pop a little wheely:
    I'd pulled dozens of wheelies before but this time was different: I had a friend on the back who I was trying to impress. He wasn't an experienced biker so he had little understanding of balance. He moved at the wrong moment and we ended up speeding sideways into a curb causing us to ramp up and fly through the air for a split second before the front wheel landed directly on the corner of another curb with the full weight of the bike and two fools behind it, hence the big dent in the front wheel. I was angry at him for this but I have nobody to blame but myself. The important thing was that nobody got hurt.
    Secondly: I had to wait until the 26th of June before they finally got the new wheel and I got the bike back. I counted every second of every day while not being able to ride that bike. It felt like an eternity and I just kept thinking about how foolish I was to have brought it on myself, putting my mates health at risk at the same time. At least I chose to try the stupid little stunt in a very quiet area. No other people or cars were around to get involved in the accident.

Well, I began riding the bike again as soon as I got it back. I had to straddle the front wheel, lock it between my knees and bend the handlebars back in line. It was tough but also flexible and went back into shape nicely. I'm riding in a straight line again and there are not odd feelings from the bike while on the road.

There is a small scuff on the right-hand mirror, right-hand indicator, the forward fender and the end of the handle bar but they are barely noticeable. There is a slightly larger scuff on the right side of the speedo and a number of scratches on the plastic plate that covers the exhaust. These are slightly noticeable but only if you are looking closely. Each of the parts seem easily replaceable. I may wait for a while before buying replacements though. I don't know when I might drop it again but it won't be while popping a wheely.

The wheel is unusable but besides that I'd say that the bike dealt very well with the accident. I paid 900rmb for a new wheel and tire and I think that the old tire is still in fine condition so I'm going to keep it until the current one needs replacing. I'm storing the old wheel at home.

DSC01109.jpgDSC01112.jpg

8. #108 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    Might be better to leave the stunt riding to the experts..
    Just checked out the prices for a new YBR250 on http://www.goobike.com/motorcycle/?rt=gbtop in Japan and it's very similar to China.

9. #109 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    Hi dude was reading all your threads and sorry to see that your wheel was damaged beyond repair, or looks damaged beyond repair.

Like your bike, i was going to by a shinray motard but bought a wuyang honda instead, its a 150cc as is my other bike a Zongshen GY-10 Fly 150cc too, only bought it last saturday got my plates this friday past and done a short run, only 20klms, but have not really tested it yet nor have i had it up to speed, still running in.

Good luck on your new wheel , as long as everything still works fine , then fine for you, take care of your speed as there are a lot of crazy drivers out there who think nothing less than turning into your path without looking and your speed of 120 or more there will be nt a chance in hell of stopping in time, even on the so called quiet roads, there is always an idiot that will pull out in front of you without hesitation, i am not lecturing you i took my ZS up to 95klms and on a dual sport high in the riding pos feels weird, and that was on a seemingly quiet road until a truck came charging out of the side road without stopping at the junction or looking luckily for me it was 2 or 3 hundred meters away, or i would have been toast.

Its not the same as being home, most people are sensible, unlike here, anyhoo here are my bikes, enjoy the pics as i have enjoyed yours.

10. #110 Re: Soberpete's YBR 250 
    Hi Pete,

I'm very sorry for your bike, luckily nobody got hurt and everything is repaired.

Ride safely!

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast