Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Problem with my qingqi 200 GY 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi, I am new to this forum so firstly i guess this is the right place where I can say my thing.

My 200GY ran beautiful last year, but recently i discovered a problem.
    I can start the engine, but i can't ride my moto because the engine dies in about three to five metres...

So, my question is: What is wrong??
    I surely did some spring maintenance such as: cleaning the carbourettor, charging the battery, cleaning the air filter, spark plug..etc.
    What can it be? Why can't I ride my bike like last year??

Please help me..

If any qingqi 200gy wants the owners manual, i have it in .pdf, i can give you this anytime, no problems

cheers!
    Attached Images

2. #2 Re: Problem with my qingqi 200 GY 
    Sounds like you would have bad adjustments in your carburator, but since you probably have not changed the mainjet it is unlikely.

Did you change the sparkplug or did you just clean it?

Can you rev the engine with transmission in "0" position, that is without first gear hitted on?

I probably would reclean the carb very carefully first or use a tool to check the voltage level from somewhere, while revving the bike in zero gear and seeing it stalling.

However I am very far from expert.

3. #3 Re: Problem with my qingqi 200 GY 
    If the engine stops in a short distance I would first suspect a problem with the gas cap vent.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

4. #4 Re: Problem with my qingqi 200 GY 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Sounds like you would have bad adjustments in your carburator, but since you probably have not changed the mainjet it is unlikely.

Did you change the sparkplug or did you just clean it?

Can you rev the engine with transmission in "0" position, that is without first gear hitted on?

I probably would reclean the carb very carefully first or use a tool to check the voltage level from somewhere, while revving the bike in zero gear and seeing it stalling.

However I am very far from expert.
    I just cleaned the spark plug...

The engine runs very good but only in NEUTRAL, if i hit first gear the engine dies in 5 metres...

It just came to my mind that this should be because of the ignition coil...because the spark plug's spark is somehow small if you know what i mean...

*still i haven't solve the problem... so help me with your ideas if you can...

i can tell you that my bike has around 4200 KM, bought in 2004, and i rode it season after season, deposited in my garage, good conditions....

5. #5 Re: Problem with my qingqi 200 GY 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    If the engine stops in a short distance I would first suspect a problem with the gas cap vent.
    Hy! can you tell me what a gas cap vent is? I don't know if I have one... thanks buddy!

6. #6 Re: Problem with my qingqi 200 GY 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Welcome Stefan

As I understand what you are describing ... the engine stops when a load is applied?

The engine runs fine in Neutral?

The engine runs fine in First Gear with the clutch disengaged? (i.e., the bike is not moving because you are squeezing the clutch lever)

When you engage the clutch, and the bike begins moving forward, the engine stops? Is that what happens? If so, does the bike actually move the 5 meters? For example, both of your wheels turn freely, correct? (i.e., with the engine off, can you easily push the bike around, as normal?)

Are you able to fully engage the clutch before the engine stops? (probably not within a few meters)

Are you able to gently "ride the clutch" and increase RPMs to keep the bike moving forward? Or does the engine always stop, no matter how you play with the throttle and clutch?

7. #7 Re: Problem with my qingqi 200 GY 
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan.golinschi View Post
    Hy! can you tell me what a gas cap vent is?
    The vent's primary purpose is to allow air inside your gas tank, as fuel is being removed during engine operation. If the vent is not working, a vacuum will be created in the tank and fuel will not easily flow to the engine.

If your bike can idle in Neutral for several minutes, with you increasing/decreasing the RPMs up and down, it probably won't be the vent. But if it dies shortly after starting (which just also happens to be when you try to move forward), the vent is a good first consideration.

8. #8 Re: Problem with my qingqi 200 GY 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Welcome Stefan

As I understand what you are describing ... the engine stops when a load is applied?

The engine runs fine in Neutral?

The engine runs fine in First Gear with the clutch disengaged? (i.e., the bike is not moving because you are squeezing the clutch lever)

When you engage the clutch, and the bike begins moving forward, the engine stops? Is that what happens? If so, does the bike actually move the 5 meters? For example, both of your wheels turn freely, correct? (i.e., with the engine off, can you easily push the bike around, as normal?)

Are you able to fully engage the clutch before the engine stops? (probably not within a few meters)

Are you able to gently "ride the clutch" and increase RPMs to keep the bike moving forward? Or does the engine always stop, no matter how you play with the throttle and clutch?
    Hi...

The engine runs fine in neutral..also in first gear with the clutch disengaged, but no matter how i play with the throttle and the clutch... the motor stops within 5 meters or so...
    The bike begins moving forward, but in 5 meters suddenly the engine stops and the bike continues to move... tomorrow, if i can, i will record myself to show you the `phenomena`

9. #9 Re: Problem with my qingqi 200 GY 
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan.golinschi View Post
    tomorrow, if i can, i will record myself to show you the `phenomena`
    That would be helpful, because it could still be any of the big three:

1) fuel (delivery/mixture/spark)
    2) mechanical
    3) electrical

Similar things have happened to me over the years, and it has commonly been fuel-mixture-related (although once it was caused by mechanical drag from internal malfunctions, and once by a leaking head gasket that meant there was not enough compression on the power stroke when the engine was loaded). Because you've had the bike a long time, you're likely aware of how the choke works, and you are not accidentally leaving the choke closed? A bike has surprisingly very little power, and will easily stall, if the mixture is not set correctly for the engine's current operating temperature. I have a million-miles-away & via internet suspicion that this problem is # 1 (fuel) and somehow related to the carb cleaning. Those spray cleaners have been known to clean gunk that then lodges itself in a deep, dark and bad place, further inside your carb.

Does the bike's engine sound normal? When you engage the clutch and start to move forward, are there any strange / different sounds? Unusual sounds might suggest something mechanical causing too much drag for the engine.

Hopefully, CC and/or ChinaV can chime in, as they've oodles of experience with this bike, and lots of mechanical knowledge. But it's tough diagnosing something from afar.
    Last edited by Lao Jia Hou; 04-08-2011 at 11:07 PM.