It's about time I started a ride report about what we've been up to so far.

It's been an intense four weeks and we've had issues getting internet access so I haven't even been able to keep my own blog up to date.

Lulu and I arrived in Beijing last night and we've enjoyed one of the few rest days we've had, at least I know I have. After getting a serious dose of Chinese culture and history, and chilling out in a bar very similar to some back in New Zealand (the Bed Bar for those who know it) and getting my instant western culture fix, I'm well and truly on my way to getting my energy levels back.

So far, over the some 5200kms we've done, we've been averaging just over 220 kms per day on the bikes, with about 8 rest days over the 30 or so driving days. We're still a little behind schedule, so we've decided not to head to Haerbin, and to head into Inner Mongolia through Chengde instead. The Lifans have held up well so far, especially Lulu's bike which has been subjected to a couple of minor crashes.

I've been surprised at how well my bike handles on less-than-ideal roads. I was worried that the bumps it has gone through might dislodge some vital part of the motorcycle and we would be stranded in the middle of nowhere. I hope I continue to be surprised when I get into Inner Mongolia and Xinjiang.

We have both had our ups and downs on and off the bikes, and we are both slowly starting to find common ground regarding what we want this journey to be. It's a learning experience, and the sensory overload can be a bit much at times, but it's always worth it