Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Around China in 100 Days 
    SEE profile pic for new age washing machine
    fantasyic, well done to you and Lulu. its a very good read :-)

2. #22 Re: Around China in 100 Days 
    this is a amazing report cant wait to read more and see the pictures of your adventures

3. #23 Re: Around China in 100 Days 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Kennon,

thanks for bumping this thread, which prompted me to realize that we've not heard from the 100 Days team in weeks.

Time for a search party??

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #24 Re: Around China in 100 Days 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Kennon,

thanks for bumping this thread, which prompted me to realize that we've not heard from the 100 Days team in weeks.

Time for a search party??

cheers
    There Ok.There in Xinjiang.Well they where a week ago.

5. #25 Re: Around China in 100 Days 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Thanks, BD. Glad to know they are still rolling. Are they under your protective wing? Are they posting in some other forum?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #26 Re: Around China in 100 Days 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Thanks, BD. Glad to know they are still rolling. Are they under your protective wing? Are they posting in some other forum?

cheers
    One thousand apologies for my slackness. We're in Golmud, Qinghai, at the moment on a short 200km day in from the 303 provincial highway. Last night we stopped in the last guest house on the road to Golmud, which was a bit lucky.

We've done over 15,000 kilometres so far and haven't had any major issues apart from the battles between our over-stubborn personalities. The back tyre on my bike has been protesting lately for the weight of my bags on the back of the bike, but with a bit of a pump up every now and again, it's running fine.

I've got some serious updating to do here, but we've been finding it hard to grab a decent spot of internet time in the last couple of weeks, so I thought it would be best to save it until I get back to Chongqing so I can do a proper job of it.

I'm not posting on any other sites (If MyChinaMoto doesn't have it, wont be on any other forums) but sub-par blogging can be found at www.aroundchina.org. I'm only up to Day 45 there (and not likely to go much further in the next two weeks) and this is our day 84. I didn't really want to redirect people to my site, as I have received so much information from MCM over the past year or so. However, as the fatigue has really started to set in and right now, finding a local internet cafe comes a distant last after food, sleep, and getting back to Chongqing before my boss comes to hunt me down. The posts will be up as soon as I get back to Chongqing.

Lulu's an internet machine and has many more photos up on her blog than I do on my site - http://blog.sina.com.cn/sgxg1976. The captions are all in Chinese though.

We're leaving Golmud tomorrow morning and will try to find a shortcut to Yushu that's not a gravel road. The roads in Qinghai so far are an encouraging sign, but we may have to drive halfway to Xining on the G109 before we find a road we can do more than 20 km/h on. After Yushu we'll be heading into Sichuan through Serxu (石渠县) and onto the Sihuan-Tibet highway towards Chengdu.

A couple of photos:

DSCN6578.jpg

Heading up to a 3500 metre pass in the Tian Shan mountains in Xinjiang on the G217. Our first experience of driving through snow.

DSCN5393.jpg

Lost on the G314 after Jiayuguan and night driving through water under a railway bridge. Looking for a place to stay after dusk, we missed the gravel detour that all the trucks take and had to find another way to the nearest town.

Thanks for the support guys. It's really appreciated.
    Last edited by Roadrunner; 05-31-2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Photo captions

7. #27 Re: Around China in 100 Days 
    You guys are doing roughly the opposite route as Christine.

South from Golmud is perfectly paved. Then turns left at the Kekexili protection station at bu Dongquan. This is paved and packed gravel road that will take you to Qumalai, then to Yushu. Mostly paved after Qumalai to Yushu.

From Yushu, it will be alomost all tar road to Chengdu, with the usual broken up surface at the passes.

If you're feeling the pain, sometimes even stopping for an extra day can do a world of good. I know posting can be difficult, but even a couple words to let us know where you are and that you're alright would be helpful!

Cheers,
    CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

8. #28 Re: Around China in 100 Days 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Unforgettable trip. Thanks for sharing.
    Now you're torn between stopping for rest because your body is really screaming for it.. and pushing on, well, because you want to. I know the feeling.. Try to do some stretching exercises every 50km..
    I got the idea from Hans and Pete on their ride around the golden triangle...

9. #29 Re: Around China in 100 Days 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    The back tyre on my bike has been protesting lately for the weight of my bags on the back of the bike, but with a bit of a pump up every now and again, it's running fine.
    This is called "Foreshadowing" my friend!

The three of us bumped into each other at a gas station in Shiqu, Sichuan of all places... I had just filled up and was pulling out as they pulled in.. First Jeremy - who I thought looked familiar (from this thread) and then Lulu.. and I knew it was the 100 Days Crew! We rode together for a couple adventurous days in Sichuan and then went our separate ways - me south towards Yunnan - and them east towards Chongqing. Needless to say.. Jeremy is late for work!

They gave me a taste of some of their stories - I can't wait to read the updates once they find time to sit down and pull together the pictures, videos, and memories.

10. #30 Re: Around China in 100 Days 
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    The three of us bumped into each other at a gas station in Shiqu, Sichuan ....
    You just bumped into each other?!? That is just amazing...

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast