Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Newbe, want to buy a JH600 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hello,

I am a newbe her, let me introduce myself. I'd lived in Germany the last 20 years and since 1.5 years in Shanghai. It's going to be some more. I ride an old lady '79 BMW R65 in Germany, old but in perfect and original condition - I like her. In my young years in Poland I rode a '82 CZ350.

I've been reading around a while in this forum since some months already. A JH600 seems to be the choice in China, so I am going to order one most likely. Jialing sent me a quotation last Friday. 20 working days delivery time. I am aware of the Asian and Euro version. Jialing mentioned a '08 and '09 model and sent some info on that. I puzzle on what does it mean:

“08(代号:Z-enduro 老款标准配置:29800.00元(亚版
    30800.00元(欧版)

“09(代号:Z-enduro )标准配置版:31800.00元(亚版)
    32800.00元(欧版)

标配版说明
    主要提升配置点: 新款保险杠、新款后货架(增加捆绑柱)、铝合金圈轮圈、铝合金手把、多功能外接电源、铝合金主脚蹬、铝合金副脚蹬、

“09(代号:Z-enduro )旅行版:待定(亚版)
    待定(欧版)

旅行版说明
    主要提升配置点: 新款保险杠、新款后货架(增加捆绑柱)、铝合金圈轮圈、铝合金手把、多功能外接电源、铝合金主脚蹬、铝合金副脚蹬、新款左右边箱、左右边箱架、尾箱。

especially the mods of '09, where Google Translate tells me:

Major upgrade configuration point: the new bumper, new rear rack (an increase of bound column), aluminum alloy ring wheels, aluminum handle, multi-function external power supply, primary aluminum pedals, aluminum Vice pedal.

What is "the new bumper" and "new rear rack (an increase of bound column)"?

Jialing also had let me download some current pics from their server. It seems the frame is black coated now and the painting of the fearing aside has changed a bit, too. I don't like the stock panniers and read here, the quality is not that good anyway. The alu cases of Pfaelzer are awesome , but the tailor made rack seems a challenge .

Anyway, first of all I have to decide which model: '08 or '09? There is 2k difference in price. Not so much, but is the '09 better at all? Perhaps is a Laser ProDuro a better investment than those stock mods of Jialing?

Ride safely!

macieq

2. #2 Re: Newbe, want to buy a JH600 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Macieq,

Welcome to the forum, and it'll be great to have another JH600 rider in Shanghai! I'm in India for a couple more days, but when I'm back we can certainly share notes about the various Jialing options.

I'm surprised that they are still quoting you for the '08 edition, which is what I have. I was told mine was the last that would be made, so unless they've found some additional stock, there's probably some mistake. The '09 edition is indeed just as you've described, with some design changes and a bit more aluminum to bring down the weight a little. It comes in two sizes -- Asian edition and Euro edition, which is taller. And the more expensive version is probably the touring package, which includes racks and luggage. To see one search this forum for TexasAggie's posts. He's got that model in Nanjing. Otherwise the Z-Enduro II and III are the same bike.

The ProDuro muffler is something several of us have added as a modification; it's definitely the stock pipe, which is a heavy beast that really does "muffle" the bike. We've opted for the ProDuro in the perhaps fanciful hope of a bit better performance. I'll tell you this: It sounds like a better performing bike with the ProDuro, and so you'll at least get a psychological performance boost! But the stock bike does pretty damn well for power and endurance. I've pushed mine fully loaded for hours on end at 120 kph with nary a complaint (except for some antipathy toward bad petrol).

I look forward to meeting up after 14 April when I'm back in China.

Cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Newbe, want to buy a JH600 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Sigh - it looks like the Shanghai boys are taking a wide lead in the #s of foreign-owned JH600s.

Oh well, I guess Barry & I will have to raise the point of beautiful mountain riding just outside Beijing. (rub rub ... sneer, snicker, giggle) And we have prettier girls, too!

Congrats Macieq if you decide to buy a JH600 - I'm quite happy with mine. I was out riding with a Harley group last weekend, who thought they'd leave me in the dust on my Chinese bike. Heh heh ... I stayed with them on the straight stretches, and zoomed ahead of them in the corners! This old dog still remembers a few tricks and the JH600 responded perfectly.

By the way Beijing people there is a brand new JH600 Euro version (black) for sale complete with the 15,000 rmb "A" plate, taxes, insurance, reg fees, shipping, etc., for 48K rmb (all-in & out the door). PM me for details / location. It is sitting in Beijing now. And this is a good price.

4. #4 Re: Newbe, want to buy a JH600 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Macieq,

Welcome to the forum, and it'll be great to have another JH600 rider in Shanghai! I'm in India for a couple more days, but when I'm back we can certainly share notes about the various Jialing options.

I'm surprised that they are still quoting you for the '08 edition, which is what I have. I was told mine was the last that would be made, so unless they've found some additional stock, there's probably some mistake. The '09 edition is indeed just as you've described, with some design changes and a bit more aluminum to bring down the weight a little. It comes in two sizes -- Asian edition and Euro edition, which is taller. And the more expensive version is probably the touring package, which includes racks and luggage. To see one search this forum for TexasAggie's posts. He's got that model in Nanjing. Otherwise the Z-Enduro II and III are the same bike.

The ProDuro muffler is something several of us have added as a modification; it's definitely the stock pipe, which is a heavy beast that really does "muffle" the bike. We've opted for the ProDuro in the perhaps fanciful hope of a bit better performance. I'll tell you this: It sounds like a better performing bike with the ProDuro, and so you'll at least get a psychological performance boost! But the stock bike does pretty damn well for power and endurance. I've pushed mine fully loaded for hours on end at 120 kph with nary a complaint (except for some antipathy toward bad petrol).

I look forward to meeting up after 14 April when I'm back in China.

Cheers!

Hi Euphonius,

Thanks! As for the touring cases they told my Chinese colleague on the phone they are not included in the 31.8k but come with 3k extra.

I went through the TexasAggie's thread about the oil change. It's a scary story, brrrr. I had some issues with a damaged thread in an aluminum alloy body on my R65. Used Helicoil to fix it. You need a special tool for that which I left back in Germany . I live in a 15/F in Shanghai, same situation like some of you guys in China... No place to wrench and poor B&Q...

5. #5 Re: Newbe, want to buy a JH600 
    Dear Macieq,

I live in Shanghai as well and commute to work on my JH600 almost everday weather permiting.
    As far as those 2 09 versions of JH600 go, the touring cases are just about the only things differentating them. I have a very inexpensive Adlo tail box, which seems to be sufficient for most of my riding and does not hinder my lane splitting in city traffic. It is also in color black to match my JH600. :-) You may find a few pictures of my JH600 with the box in my recent ride report at http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...peseed-Blossom
    By the way, you can fit 2 helmets in that Adlo box.
    Welcome to the forum and look forward to some riding together in the future.

Cheers!
    Last edited by milton; 04-11-2011 at 11:27 PM.

6. #6 Re: Newbe, want to buy a JH600 
    For the money, I am pretty happy with my JH600. While it is certainly not a BMW or KTM, it is not bad and while there is no local support for the bike in Nanjing, I have to admit that the factory had no issue sending someone over from another province to help me in a very timely fashion. It was my screw up and they still took care of it. Made up for the broken oil filter cover bolt. (To be fair, I think the local clown I first used turned the bolt the wrong way. I am still using two bolts to hold the cover on with no leaks or issues. I tried to remove the bold with some tools I brought back from the USA but no luck. I will have to drill completely out and Helicoil it or something similar. Until then, I am mobile and confident in the two bolts still there. (I did replace the two bolts with avaition grade bolts brought from USA) If you are in China and just cannot justify the same amount of money for motorcycle that a luxury car costs in the USA, go with the JH600. I went with the Euro fully decked out because of my wanting to minimize trying to find support. Not sure it is best for you to go that way but not a disaster either way. Hope some of you guys make it to Nanjing someday.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

7. #7 Re: Newbe, want to buy a JH600 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi Milton,

Great pics! I did not expect such a nature close to Shanghai. As for my JH600 purchase idea, it's gone for this month as my tooth broke away and another one had to be fixed as well. Both together is 50% of the JH600. Waiting till next month.

Take Care!

8. #8 Re: Newbe, want to buy a JH600 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    ... I am still using two bolts to hold the cover on with no leaks or issues. I tried to remove the bold with some tools I brought back from the USA but no luck. I will have to drill completely out and Helicoil it or something similar. ...
    Hi TexasAggie,

I had this kind of trouble with broken venting bolts in a caliper about 20 years ago. The special tool broke as well since it was too hard and brittle. I think this kind of tool does not work in practice.

Cheers!

9. #9 Re: Newbe, want to buy a JH600 
    I came from the automotive industry. The company I used to work for manufactured warranty exchange engines for Ford, Nissan, and GM. We used several different types of thread repair kits with basically good results. You are correct that you need the right tools.
    I prefer the insert type repairs but they take more material.
    www.ezlok.com
    www.timesert.com

Helicoil requires very little material for oversize but they are a pain without all the correct tools for sure.
    I will probably bring both back to try from the USA in a few months.

Like you, I live in a 30 story building with limited access to decent workspace but I am learning after 6 years of riding here that it is what it is and I move on until I find an opportunity.

Anyway, I digress. Let us know when you get the JH600. You will like it. Especially when you look at your checking account vs a BMW bought here in China.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido