Summer 2007.

With all the beautiful weather we’ve been having recently, I’ve been seeing more and more Harlies, Yamahas, and Hondas back on the streets of Beijing. You know summer’s on the way when a group of riders tear down crowded capital streets Hell’s Angels-style, setting off car alarms and turning heads. I can’t wait for the next big ride.

The last group ride I was on was back in 2007, a 2 day adventure for charity. The plan, as I understand it, was to drive up into the mountains of Huairou for a couple of days. We’d spend the night in a hotel somewhere and return for a barbecue at the expat organizer’s restaurant, and give donations to a charitable cause which unfortunately totally eludes my memory. I think it was an orphanage? It was definitely for a good cause though.

The big reason for me to join was to ride with my father. He had a bike back in Michigan when he was in his early 20s, but broke his collarbone when he hit a patch of black ice. My dad swore off riding for over 30 years. He reconsidered in 2003 when I said how cool it would be for me to get a motorcycle. Dad shook all that off and taught me how to ride. Now, some of my best memories of China are us going out on our bikes together...Continue reading on My Beijing Stories.com!