Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Keeping it charged 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Hi Filipu. I've done several of these and have the required tools, including a Dremel to make the hole in the headlight's plastic shroud. If you are just going to use minimal load items with the outlet (e.g., GPS, cell phone sharging, etc) and not things like an actual cigarette lighter (heavy load), it is usually wiser to tap into the wiring harness behind your headlight. It is easy to tap into an appropriate circuit that is "live" only when the ignition is on. In fact, depending on how your bike is wired, you may be able to tap into a circuit that is "live" only when the engine is running. It depends on what you are using the outlet for - that will determine whether you need to go back to the battery.

By the way, there is a great electronics market (actually several) between the Xisi and Ping An stations on Line 4 (West side of the street). You can buy anything and everything, including reproduction harnesses and connectors for vintage motorcycles. I have an old Indian motorcycle and took a sample of an ancient connector to a shop who, amazingly, found an exact copy. They also have marine grade USB connectors for flush mounting, which might be more appropriate for you if you just need a powered USB connection.

The fellow on motorfans used an inline barrel fuse in his connection (you can see it [black tube] on the red wire above the battery).

Give me a couple of weeks to finish the remodel on my shop, and I'll set you up, gratis, and show you a few tricks about installing these things. We need 220 power for the dremel. Be impossible for me to describe it online. I'm a really shitty photographer.

2. #22 Re: Keeping it charged 
    Thank guys for reply, I need it for the holidays so I guess I'll use corporal_clegg s method for now, without the switch as I can't leave my phone outdoor and then I'll come by to LJH's shop to make it for good, when it's open. Do I need this barrel fuse for now?
    I'll be in your workshop every week Lao Jia Hou haha

Good to know about the market, but I don't even know what I should look for now.
    JH-150GY-3

3. #23 Re: Keeping it charged 
    Quote Originally Posted by filipu View Post
    Do I need this barrel fuse for now?
    It is a very good idea if you are going back to the battery. Pop by my home and I'll give you one, as well as any other connectors/wire you may need for a temporary solution.

I'll be in your workshop every week Lao Jia Hou haha
    No problem, bring coffee ... the good stuff ... none of that Nestle 3 in 1 crap! I'm a cheap date ... but not THAT cheap.

4. #24 Re: Keeping it charged 
    Thank guys for reply, I need it for the holidays so I guess I'll use corporal_clegg s method for now, without the switch as I can't leave my phone outdoor
    haha not your phone you goon. the usb cable. although i think maybe it's the socket that drains. When I go travelling again I will leave the usb wire running all the way up to my handle bars then every morning all I have to do is plug my phone in and go. At night I just turn off the switch so it doesn't drain my battery.

I connected straight to my battery so I have the option to play music from my bike when I want, even when the engine is off.

As for the fuse you may find a fuse in the lighter/usb plug when you take it apart. I got creative with the spring inside and kept the same fuse for in my setup

5. #25 Re: Keeping it charged 
    @corporal_cleg: do you think the socket or cable can drain without the receiver?
    @LJH actually I have an amazing coffee source, much better than horrible IKEA organic sh*t
    JH-150GY-3

6. #26 Re: Keeping it charged 
    @corporal_cleg: do you think the socket or cable can drain without the receiver?
    @LJH actually I have an amazing coffee source, much better than horrible IKEA organic sh*t
    Yea. Did you ever leave your charger plugged in at home without the phone in it? It still gets hot. I remember reading somewhere that, on average, 10% of a housholds energy is wasted like this.

7. #27 Re: Keeping it charged 
    I just got my package from taobao. What I thought will be a bag full of tools in incredibly low price turned out to be just the tool bag, I need to translate more often. Is that electric market on line 4 also a tool market?
    JH-150GY-3

8. #28 Re: Keeping it charged 
    I built my ChinaV charging system with an in-line 5A fuse. When i'm leaving the bike for more than a day or two i just take the fuse out so that it cuts the power to the charger. That's why i didn't put a switch in.

9. #29 Re: Keeping it charged 
    I just got my package from taobao. What I thought will be a bag full of tools in incredibly low price turned out to be just the tool bag, I need to translate more often. Is that electric market on line 4 also a tool market?
    Bummer!

The tool market is on the NE 4th ring road, just West of IKEA. If you are driving on the side road, heading West, go past IKEA, through one traffic light, past a gas station on your right, and then it is about another 300 meters down, on your right. If you use Google maps, I think you can plug in:

BTW, the best place to find the tools is to walk through the shops inside the main building. You'll see several entrances (I think there are four main corridors). SATA is a decent brand.

10. #30 Re: Keeping it charged 
    all the answers are on MCM:) I've seen a link to taobao SATA tools, 300 for a set o keys, I don't know how to call them exactly, but isn't 300 much, as we are in China?
    JH-150GY-3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast