Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 First big Ride (planning)... 
    I'm planning a heavy ride on Friday, about 200 mile round trip and about 5hrs total ride time. This may take longer because I'm planning on stopping for a bit here and there, to rest up, grab a bite and take some pics. Nothing as nice as some of the scenery that the rest of you post but I'll try (This is New Jersey after all).
    I've been going over the bike and making sure that everything is solid and I'm cofident that this first big run should be fine and the Widow will perform in all her awesomeness.

I'll post a detailed ride report the following day, wife permitting

Wish me luck!
    Gardo northern NJ/NYC
    CCW tha Heist tha Widow
    CCW tha Misfit (tha Wraith)
    50 State legal and Worldwide
    CCW Heist Riders

2. #2 Re: First big Ride (planning)... 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardo View Post
    I'm planning a heavy ride on Friday ... I'm planning on stopping for a bit here and there, to rest up, grab a bite and take some pics ... New Jersey
    Hey Gardo - first off, good luck on your first major ride.

NJ? Ain't that Tony Soprano's turf? How about some pics from inside Bada Bing? I'm sure we'd all appreciate that fine scenery!

Safe riding on your cool mount - arrive home safely, without any spilled blood, and you're still a "made" wiseguy!

3. #3 Re: First big Ride (planning)... 
    Sounds good. Enjoy your time and reserve some more you have planned. After that toss the clock on the road like in Easy Rider

Every good trip start with that ritual.

4. #4 Re: First big Ride (planning)... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Hey Gardo - first off, good luck on your first major ride.

NJ? Ain't that Tony Soprano's turf? How about some pics from inside Bada Bing? I'm sure we'd all appreciate that fine scenery!

Safe riding on your cool mount - arrive home safely, without any spilled blood, and you're still a "made" wiseguy!
    Ayyyye forgettaboutit Ohhh Marone dis guys want badabings, but der aint no badda bings anymore LoL

its actually Satin Dolls and I live 15 minutes from there. Most days it looks like the Ukrainian Uglies championship
    Gardo northern NJ/NYC
    CCW tha Heist tha Widow
    CCW Heist Riders

5. #5 Re: First big Ride (planning)... 
    C-Moto Regular
    Haha the Bada Bing, I pass by it everyday on my way to work and Gardos description is right on. Once you get away from north Jersey it's actually really nice, they do call it the Garden State afterall.

Good luck with the ride Gardo, my butt would go numb after about 125 miles on my Dyna with the Bare Bones seat so make sure you take some good breaks and keep well hydrated. The best part about going with other dudes with bigger bikes is you can store all you crap in their bags

Have fun, looking forward to how the Widow performs. If she does well on this trip it would set aside some of my reservations. I'm done blasting around on the highway around here, it's just way too dangerous. I really like the slower 50ish back roads, the heist should do well on those, it would probably keep me out of trouble too without having all those ponies and torque of my other bike.

6. #6 Re: First big Ride (planning)... 
    thanks JK3, I readjusted the seat tonight and WOW what a difference. Took it around for 20min or so to get the feel of it and man its better.

i'm planning on back roading it to bloomfield and jumping on the GSP for 25mls (40.23km) then down Rt.1 for another 10mls (16km) and stay on Rt130 for 53mls (85.3 km) then though some of the side streets to Pit so its really 97 miles total (156.1 km total) one way

the way I recon it should be a nice clear day and there's just enoug on those roads to keep me from getting bored on the ride. I also am cheating, since I plan on doingthe Americade run this year i picked up some padded Super moto shorts to slip on under my Jeans, as an experiment
    Gardo northern NJ/NYC
    CCW tha Heist tha Widow
    CCW Heist Riders

7. #7 Re: First big Ride (planning)... 
    I think you should hit all the spots in 'Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle'

8. #8 Re: First big Ride (planning)... 
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    I think you should hit all the spots in 'Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle'
    I love White castle have one 5 minutes from me might need to make a run over there later
    Okay just got in from my ride and trip to PIT Motors. Tougher than I thought. I'm really worn out so I'll post my report tomorrow.
    the batteries in the camera gave out half way through the ride but I still have great video more tomorrow.
    Gardo northern NJ/NYC
    CCW tha Heist tha Widow
    CCW Heist Riders

9. #9 the Big Ride 
    On the way out

Below is some of the mapping of the ride I did yesterday

I clocked just about 100 miles on Heist in one direction. It was an interesting day, it was colder than the weather reports stated off the bike, kept warming my hands by the engine when I would stop at a light or in traffic, and the ride took longer than I expected.
    During the ride I hit traffic which slowed me down do to road work, I had a road crew guy blow debris at me and the bike (not fun). I hit a section of highway that felt like they put in a speed bump every 50 feet, one caught me un aware riding to the top of the hill and it felt like I was airborne for a few moments. And a woman on a cell phone nearly tanked me when she swerved into my lane. One other thing I didn’t account for was wind. I was pretty buffeted at times but I just tucked in and rode through.

I did manage some video but my batteries died on the camera about half way through the trip. I still managed some good video.

The total ride time was 3 hrs with 2 breaks, one for gas, about 10 minutes, and the other for a bite to eat and rest, 30 minutes. Needed to relax the hands and legs, this was by far the longest I have ever been on a bike.

Some of the things I did before my trip down was checked the bike and did a once over on everything, didn’t help my heat shield which rattled off on the ride down.
    I had to wear my half helmet and goggles since my full face was over my brother’s house.

List of my gear:
    Long sleeve winter grade mock neck under armor
    Full padded kidney belt (The bike is a ridged frame)
    Leather jacket
    Heavy denim jeans
    Helmet/goggles/gloves
    Kidney belt
    Fork bag (contained another camera and my new tail light, and tools)
    Carmex lip balm (if you have an open face you know how those lips start to feel)
    Blackberry (the all important mobile, to let folks know I was okay)

I left at 11am and got to the Shop at 2pm. I did quite a bit of highway driving and the bike preformed much better than I could have hoped for I was cruising at 60 – 65 mph and the bike had more to give. At one point I looked down and I was hitting 80, slowed that iron pony right down. I was surprised that I wasn’t getting much or any vibration from the bike. Al from PIT told me the motor has a counter balance.

I had made my first stop about 35 minutes into the trip, for gas and a bottle of water. My next stop, I stopped at a BK for a quick burger, fries and some much needed rest and a Bio break, and more water. This was almost 2 hrs into the ride and that was about 2/3 of my trip down. Now the camera was locked in the fork bag and I totally forgot to take it out to snap some shots. But the video will collaborate my story.

The final leg of the trip, the sun was coming out and felt I pretty good. The stop to rest really paid off. It was a nice stretch of Highway, open and fairly clear. When I arrived at the shop Brett just shook his head and called me a mad man. Al was smiles from ear to ear.
    Here on my 250 heist ridged frame I did this ride in non optimal conditions and the bike performed very well. Now at some point I lost my heat shield

After BSing for a bit we put the bike on the lift and checked it out and she was as sound as a crystal bell.

Then I got to work on her and cleaned up the engine area,

replaced the heat shield

and got to working on the rear light.

That was a pain in the @$$ that was. The light is SAE on a metric bike so with the help of tom from the Weaver group I modified the stock bracket to make it fit sanded it and repainted the piece.

I also got to play around with some of the custom Heists that they are building and checked out the Misfit, Hooligan and Ace.

By the time we were done it was getting late and time for me to go home. The trip back was longer and exhausting, but I got it done and was home by midnight, half frozen and road weary.

All in all I would do it again.
    Last edited by Gardo; 04-16-2011 at 10:44 PM.
    Gardo northern NJ/NYC
    CCW tha Heist tha Widow
    CCW Heist Riders

10. #10 Re: First big Ride (planning)... 

Way to rock it madman.
    Kevin
    CCW Heist
    Shitwizard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast