Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Drinking & Driving 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Draft Proposes 5-Year Ban for Drunk Drivers

2011-04-19 07:29:19 Shanghai Daily Web Editor: Jiang

Convicted drunk drivers will lose their licenses and be banned from taking a driving test in the following five years, according to a draft amendment to be submitted Tuesday.

Intoxicated drivers who caused "serious traffic accidents" will be banned from driving for life, under the draft amendment to the Law on Road Traffic Safety that will be submitted to the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress, China's top legislature, for discussion, Monday's Legal Evening News reported.

The fine for the offense is also expected to rise from 200 yuan (US$30.63) to 1,000 yuan.

Under current law, drunk drivers are suspended from driving for three or six months and, in serious cases, detained for 15 days.

If drivers offend twice in a year, their licenses are revoked for two to five years.

Foreigners also face losing their residence permit if they offend, according to the Exit-Entry Administration Bureau.

From May 1, drunk driving becomes a crime under China's Criminal Law. Previously it was considered as a traffic violation.

Under the revised law, drunk drivers can be jailed for up to six months

==========

I've already posted about a friend's unfortunate experience after having a beer, being stopped in a road block, and blowing 0.02 into a hand held breathalyzer.

I've no idea about smaller cities, but my guess is that from May 1, Shanghai & Beijing will be actively enforcing the new law.

[rant]It amazes me when I am out for a ride with a group and we stop for lunch that some riders will have a beer, or two, or even three ... and then expect me to ride somewhere near them. Yeah right - and maybe I will just loosen my axle nuts for an even more exciting ride! Frankly, I think the penalties should include torture prior to deportation.[/rant]

2. #2 Re: Drinking & Driving 
    C-Moto Guru
    I already force myself not to go out at night, if I plan on riding the next day. Since it is easy to still blow 0.02 the morning after, like Felix for example has already proved.

I know how it works when your among friends, "ah come on, one more" and then another and another. Then in the end of the night you still drank much more than planned!

Taobao has breathalyzers for like RMB 30 up to RMB 20.000, where does the price meet accuracy?!
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

3. #3 Re: Drinking & Driving 
    This is great news!

4. #4 Re: Drinking & Driving 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
    This is great news!
    Why? Plenty of people here drive like they drank even though they didn't drink
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

5. #5 Re: Drinking & Driving 
    Driving drunk is obviously stupid, but having a single 12oz can of beer with lunch or dinner, I'm not going to judge anyone for that. Personally, I think it's not a big deal, but each person needs to make their own choice based on their ability to handle alcohol. That's why they passed such a black and white law, they don't want people trying to make reasonable decisions. So now there's no need to even think of having even a single beer, not worth risking deportation.

Here's some food for thought for those of you that are into oral hygene:

Listerine Antiseptic" published in the July 1985 issue of The Police Chief (p. 70). Seven individuals were tested at a police station, with readings of 0.00%. Each then rinsed his mouth with 20 milliliters of Listerine mouthwash for 30 seconds in accordance with directions on the label. All seven were then tested on the machine at intervals of one, three, five and ten minutes. The results indicated an average reading of 0.43 blood-alcohol concentration, indicating a level that, if accurate, approaches lethal proportions. After three minutes, the average level was still 0.020, despite the absence of any alcohol in the system. Even after five minutes, the average level was 0.011.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

6. #6 Re: Drinking & Driving 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Here's some food for thought for those of you that are into oral hygene:

Listerine Antiseptic" published in the July 1985 issue of The Police Chief (p. 70). Seven individuals were tested at a police station, with readings of 0.00%. Each then rinsed his mouth with 20 milliliters of Listerine mouthwash for 30 seconds in accordance with directions on the label. All seven were then tested on the machine at intervals of one, three, five and ten minutes. The results indicated an average reading of 0.43 blood-alcohol concentration, indicating a level that, if accurate, approaches lethal proportions. After three minutes, the average level was still 0.020, despite the absence of any alcohol in the system. Even after five minutes, the average level was 0.011.
    Ah - that explains Beijing taxi drivers! They are simply being cautious.

7. #7 Re: Drinking & Driving 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Ah - that explains Beijing taxi drivers! They are simply being cautious.
    Haha. That is funny. Stinky breath.

I have male staff that drink 1 beer and immediately their face gets red and their is some mental incapacitation. There are others that can drink cups and cups of Bai Jou and not show or feel anything at all! Their are individual variations which is another reason the law may be black and white.

8. #8 Re: Drinking & Driving 
    Nice find LJH. Glad i learned my lesson last year. I've been very good since and like Barry i've even avoided drinking the night before rides.

Still though, and i know some will frown at this, i do miss drunk driving. I know that because some people have no self control we need to ban it for everybody. However, it used to be really fun driving home from the bar in the CJ750 with eight people in the sidecar to have house parties, at 20kph, taking my time, paying extra attention and fully aware of my reduced awareness. Frankly it was pretty harmless. But i do understand the reasons for rules and doubt that i'll ever do it again. Oh well...

9. #9 Re: Drinking & Driving 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Still though, and i know some will frown at this, i do miss drunk driving. I know that because some people have no self control we need to ban it for everybody. However, it used to be really fun driving home from the bar in the CJ750 with eight people in the sidecar to have house parties, at 20kph, taking my time, paying extra attention and fully aware of my reduced awareness. Frankly it was pretty harmless. But i do understand the reasons for rules and doubt that i'll ever do it again. Oh well...
    Picturing that made me lol... drunk with 8 people on three wheels, no seriously, what could possibly go wrong?

10. #10 Re: Drinking & Driving 
    As mature adults, reasonably minded and responsibly acting that we all are , I think we tolerate and support the fight against drunk driving and behave accordingly in order not to face the consequences.
    However, I doubt that drivers of vehicles with Jing AG6nnn, Jing A8nnnn, embassy, white and no plates or drivers of Lambos and Ferraris will have to worry about that at all.

Drunk driving is one thing to fight against, but what about all the other other idiotic and dangerous behavior of the rest?
    Andy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast