Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Pulse Adrenaline won't start 
    C-Moto Noob
    Evening all, finally managed to get my registration to go through, have been using the site for info for the last week or two and now a proud member.

I've recently bought a 2008 Pulse Adrenaline which was a spares and repairs job from Ebay. I managed to get the bike started today with a celebratory whoop, and decided that I would clean it all back up again before completely reassembling. Having cleaned the frame I put the fuel tank back on to find that the carb is not pulling any fuel through the pipe from the tap.

I also have a black tube with was attached to a feed next to the fuel pipe at the carb end which has dropped down and I can't find any reference anywhere to where it should be attached anywhere or whether its just a breather.

I can't understand why the carb won't pull fuel through, if I pull the fuel pipe off from the carb end then fuel trickles through but as soon as it is attached to the carb its a dead stop. I've checked the spark plug end and its as dry as a bone. Pulling the choke makes no difference at all. The bike kicks over but with no fuel its obviously not starting.

I have to add that I'm a complete newbie to motorbikes, so any advice that can be given would be greatly appreciated.

2. #2 Re: Pulse Adrenaline won't start 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Daddy,

Welcome to the forum, and to motorcycling! A bit surprised you've not received any responses, as we've got quite a number of Adrenaline owners here in this forum. Use the search function and read through the various Adrenaline threads. There's a lot of knowledge here; I hope you find what you need.

I think if you post some pix of your bike, and report a bit more about where and how you plan to ride, you'll have a better chance of getting some support!

I look forward to seeing pix of your bike and reading your first ride reports!

where is basingstoke?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Pulse Adrenaline won't start 
    I'm not surprised, many forum members here only bother with their own interests. Especially the narcissistic younger generation who often own such bikes. They only yelp when they want help themselves. But only 30 members read it and ignored it!
    One post like this getting missed is one too many posts.

I don't know your bike but I would guess the black pipe is to the emissions unit. The blurb I read says one pipe (from under head) to carb, one to air box.

You could also need that pipe to make a vacuum to suck the fuel or something similar which could cause your problem. Hopefully now Jeff has said g'day some of the mechanically-minded members will assist you. Sorry it took so long. Thanks Euphonius for picking this one up.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

4. #4 Re: Pulse Adrenaline won't start 
    daddyfina,
    The carburetor does not pull fuel out of the tank, it is a gravity flow system.
    Did you open the fuel drain screw on the carburetor to see if fuel will run out of the float bowl?
    That test will tell you if you have fuel in the carburetor.

5. #5 Re: Pulse Adrenaline won't start 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    I'm not surprised, many forum members here only bother with their own interests. Especially the narcissistic younger generation who often own such bikes. They only yelp when they want help themselves.
    If you don't have anything nice to say....

I see that your time away from the boards didn't afford u the opportunity to learn manners.

Welcome daddy, hope you get your bike sorted!
    Beijing: 2008 125cc Qingqi

6. #6 Re: Pulse Adrenaline won't start 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    many forum members here only bother with their own interests.
    I dunno jape, could it just be that 30 people read it who didn't have the technical knowhow to help? I'm one, 29 to go. Not everyone here is a bike mechanic. Thanks for bumping this topic though, it might actually help!

7. #7 Re: Pulse Adrenaline won't start 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I don't have the same bike as OP, but I had a similar problem a few months ago, here's the thorough troubleshooting MCM guru's walked me through.
    post #6 is another good explanation of what barnone is asking you to try. Keep us posted, i'm sure you'll figure out if you do.

Since you say it's been cleaned recently, I suspect water in the carburator. Look at some videos on carbs on youtube.. there are small pipes, or needles .. i don't know the name. Anyway, you don't want water in there.

8. #8 Re: Pulse Adrenaline won't start 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I'm no expert, but searching on howto clean carbs really got me drunk. One easy and safe way to try to clean carb is to spray liberal amounts of carb cleaner in intake hole, the one on top in case of my bike, and try to start the bike. One push at a time, then spray and try again. You can do this with the hose disconnected so you can spray more in. Make sure you get (and use) the small red straw the connects to the spray header when you buy the carb cleaner, otherwise you'll be cleaning the outside of your carb instead!

If you're talking about the pipe that connect to the bottom of the carb, or float bowl (again, bottom in case of my bike) then it's just a breather. Closeup pics of your carb help identify what kind it is.

9. #9 Re: Pulse Adrenaline won't start 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi,

If you post a bit more info on what happens when you try and start it. (spluttering, weired noises ect) I will do my best to help :)

First things first. Make sure you have a strong spark from the plug and have check at the colour (color to you guys over the pond as windows keeps telling me :D)

10. #10 Re: Pulse Adrenaline won't start 
    I would suggest posting pictures of your current carb and fuel delivery system setup. If you have a vacuum actuated model, then it needs vacuum from the engine/carb to open up the fuel delivery system.

If you have a straight gravity fed system, first check to see if fuel comes down the tube from the tank before it reaches the carb. If it pours out.. not trickles or drips, then the tank is providing fuel properly. If it only tricles or drips, take the gas cap off the tank and try again. Sometimes the tank vents get clogged and can stop fuel from flowing.

If fuel pours out of the tube form the tank, and there's no problem with the tank, then unscrew your carb bowl drain and empty out whatever's in there. check what comes out for lots of grit, a reddish color or other particles.

Take pics and report back.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com