Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Fake plates as replacements 
    Hi,

I recently borrowed a CJ750 sidecar from a friend and parked it underground at my place overnight. It is registered in Shanghai with the atrociously expensive 沪A plates, which were gone when i came down in the morning. I don't know if they fell off the previous day while i was riding or if they got stolen during the night, but that's not really the point.

The point is that it's probably hopeless to try and get the legal plate replacements as these sidecar registrations are always a bit shady... so i bought a fake plate to replace the lost one. I picked it up last night and it looks perfect, i can't tell the difference and don't think anyone could from a normal distance.

I'm posting this to see what people think. I can't really see the harm in doing this, apart that some illegal scooter is now riding with the same number. The bike is still legal and registered with blue book and all, the plate is just a piece of metal right?

2. #2 Re: Fake plates as replacements 
    C-Moto Regular
    Really sorry to hear this. My guess is they were stolen, unfortunately. With plates in such high demand and at the price they're at, the theft is a rather common occurence and it's also a deterrent I would have to getting such A plates.

Along with that, you're correct in that it's a difficult process to try and replace the legal plates, and it may not be worth the hassle to bother, what with this being China and all. But the authentic registration book is the most important document, along with the license and fapiao. If the police stop you, they may be concerned why the license plate in the book doesn't match the plate, and they would suspect that either one is a fake. It's a lot harder to fake the blue book, and if they can prove it's genuine, they'd know that the plates are fake and then you could explain they were stolen. Who knows, the police might even help you get the originals back.

3. #3 Re: Fake plates as replacements 
    Both plates were lost? That would definite be on someone else's scooter. Have you tried apply a new replacement at authority? These things happen to 粤B, car owner too. They park outside, wake up the next morning, plates are gone, except a note with cell phone no. is left under windscreen wiper. Sorry your plates are kidnaped. Cunning son of bxxch knew a new replacment plates cost money and hassles like long line of queue.

4. #4 Re: Fake plates as replacements 
    I think part of what Felix is saying here is that it's quite easy to obtain an exact duplicate of the plate that has been stolen or lost via "some dude", so why bother dealing with government bureaucracy when a small fee will get you set of shiny new plates that match your blue book. I would be interested to know why that's not a good solution?

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #5 Re: Fake plates as replacements 
    Not intened to sound like a douchebag. Legit plates equal zero risk and worry. I read the OP post again, that was no the point for him.
    There is scenoary that 2 cars, same model, same colour, 1 owner... I think you already know I'm trying to say... If it could fool the p...., it would fool the friend.

6. #6 Re: Fake plates as replacements 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Interesting topic. I'm surprised no one has raised it before, directly.

Four types of "fake" plates:

1) a fake plate on an unregistered bike;
    2) a fake plate on a registered bike that doesn't match the green/blue books;
    3) a "remanufactured" plate that matches the green/blue books of a registered bike; and,
    4) duplicated plates & books on an otherwise unregistered bike.

I've wondered what would happen if someone swiped my legal A plates off one of my bikes. I asked the Traffic Management Bureau and was told that they can be replaced without too much difficulty (speaking in relative terms). But I agree with Felix that a sidecar's "legal" plate can be dodgy or, worse, you can end up with a counter-guy who thinks it is time to de-register the sidecar.

Re the 1st type - no comment.

Re the 2nd type - I'd be pretty nervous explaining to a cop why my plate doesn't match my legal blue book. I think I'd prefer to ride without a plate until I had it replaced, and more easily explain that my plate was stolen and I am awaiting replacement.

Re the 3rd type - A remanufactured plate from "some dude" seems the best option, IMHO, as they are cheap and a hell of a lot easier than dealing with the bureaucracy. Just yesterday, though, we received the new plates for our little Yamaha 125 and we noticed that the new A plates have a little security tag on them. Give it a few weeks, however, and these tags will likely also be replicated.

Re the 4th type - The one thing that scares me, living in the land of traffic cameras every few hundred meters, is someone duplicating my plate number and using it on the same type/color of bike. I'm hit up for all of the traffic violations - and I can't really think of how one would argue out of it. Duplicate plates/regs are amazingly common, because the police rarely check the VIN/Engine numbers too closely during a regular traffic stop/roadblock.

Not that I'd ever advocate breaking any laws, but if my plates were stolen, I'd seriously consider contacting "some dude" to help me out - I've heard that the charge is about 100 rmb for a plate made-to-order. But that's just gossip, as I've never actually done it. Yeah, that's my story & I'm stickin to it!

7. #7 Re: Fake plates as replacements 
    On my first bike the rear plate fell off and I was riding around on an otherwise registered bike, I went to the Local Gong An traffic department, took a few weeks but my new plates showed up and they helped my fix them to the bike too. Modern plates have anti-piracy holographic swipes that can show up at night and specific bolts and a certain shade of yellow which is easy to get wrong. A few hundred yuan to reduce the chance of being stopped especially at night seems worth it if you live in a bigger city, although fakes might be a good idea as a temporary replacement in the interim.

8. #8 Re: Fake plates as replacements 
    I know that 'this is China' but why not just report the theft to cops (which would help with other issues like crime done using that plate) and get a copy of their report to show other cops if required while you wait for replacements?
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

9. #9 Re: Fake plates as replacements 
    C-Moto Senior
    Had rego plates ("A" Shanghai) stolen last year from one of my import big bore bikes and had the traffic police / vehicle managment bureau reissue new blue book, documents, plates within three days (they handed over totally new rego docs and a different number). Ride safe! Pal

ps: having reliable contacts helps a ton in PRC......

10. #10 Re: Fake plates as replacements 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Felix,

Assuming that you fall into Lao Jia Huo's No.3 category -- a "remanufactured" plate that matches the green/blue books of a registered bike -- I think you and the bike's owner should be fine. If that's indeed what you've done, how on earth did you find someone who could make a plate to order? Oh, and what, pray tell, did this cost?

Anyway, make sure it's attached securely with the special "tamperproof" bolts, and then make sure you stress it up a bit so it no longer looks brand new.

(Jape, the reason I'd not recommend Felix go to the cops is the one that LJH mentioned: Since these vintage CJ750s do not meet China3 emissions standards and are no longer being plated here in Shanghai, there's a substantial risk that some desk jockey in the vehicle management bureau will decide it's time not to replace your plate to to deregister your bike, leaving you SOL.)

Now get that bike back to its owner and wash your hands of the problem!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast