Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 2011 May Day ride, Shanghai edition 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    May Day! May Day!

Sadly, this year's May Day holiday in China is no longer the seven-day national shutdown that it was for so many years, but rather is only three days in duration. This has good aspects and bad. Bad that it's too short, especially for those of us who need at least a day to get to anyplace with nice riding. Good in that it's perhaps too short for every newbie motorist in China to hit the streets (in search of motorcyclists to run over).

Anyway, for MCM Shanghai denizens, I've heard that a local club is organizing a three-day ride out to Yixing, a somewhat scenic pottery-making town on the other side of Taihu (太湖 -- Lake Tai) from Suzhou. I'm still nursing an injury, so this could be an ok first ride of spring for me. Yixing is starting to get into the mountains, but it's semi-urban and only semi-mountainous, and I think the ride will be more about group fun and sightseeing than excellent rural motorcycling.

Anyone else have anything up their sleeves? Milton? MotoKai? Wrangler? Dewsnap? Bikeless Felix? (Oh, wait, you've still got your CJ, right?) Nuhaus? Yangtzepete? Nostalgie? Others?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #2 Re: 2011 May Day ride, Shanghai edition 
    C-Moto Regular
    I may or may not be in Taiwan this holiday, will know by midweek. If I'm still in Shanghai, a short ride around the local area would be awesome. A few ideas on some good rides worth checking out

1. Chongming island and northern Jiangsu province loop. Never done this one yet, and it sounds awfully enticing. There are ferries that would shuttle between Baoshan district and Chongming island. From there, it's a much shorter ferry ride into northern Jiangsu province through what looks like nice rural scenery on the map, quite likely good wide and fast roads. To get back, maybe go through Nantong on the bridge or another ferry across the Yangzte River if bikes aren't allowed on the bridge.

2. Zhejiang mountain foothills around Hangzhou. Moganshan comes to mind, but I think it's worth avoiding during the holiday as it would over-run with Chinese tourists. Other areas have mountains around Hangzhou, would be worth exploring.

3. Zhejiang Islands. Ferries also run to the other islands in the archipelogo such as Putuoshan, Zhoushan, and so forth. The more famous ones would be overbooked with tourists, but there may be some alternatives. For example, a friend gave some rave reviews of a less-touristed island within Shanghai province jurisdiction. It wasn't Chongming but another island that is visible from flights going into Pudong airport on certain flight paths. Can't remember the name of that island off the top of my head.

3. #3 Re: 2011 May Day ride, Shanghai edition 
    I might not be available during those day unfortunately. But believe me, i'd hold you guys up on the CJ unless i actually detach the sidecar, which is awesome fun. Ill let you guys know, it might be a last minute decision.

I rode out to yixing a couple of years ago. Nice enough area but some way better stuff just a little further south. Would be fun in the right crowd, which the suzhou bikers are! (be warned though, they have expensive taste)

Steve, are you talking about Sheng Si island? Ride report here:

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...for-a-weekend!

4. #4 Re: 2011 May Day ride, Shanghai edition 
    Count me in for a short ride out of Shanghai. Wrangler and i were recently scheming about a short May holiday trip somewhere but we haven't made plans yet.
    I don't think the missus will allow a full 3day ride but i could possibly do an overnight run.

Felix's ride reports through Zhejiang look the dogs. That has my vote but i'm easy whatever.

5. #5 Re: 2011 May Day ride, Shanghai edition 
    C-Moto Regular
    Turns out I've never heard of Sheng Si Island until now. Looks awesome, that there'd be such kind of beach this close to Shanghai. The one I just remembered now was Changxing Island, basically it's connected to Chongming by the long bridge.

6. #6 Re: 2011 May Day ride, Shanghai edition 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    May Day! May Day!
    Anyone else have anything up their sleeves? Milton? MotoKai? Wrangler? Dewsnap? Bikeless Felix? (Oh, wait, you've still got your CJ, right?) Nuhaus? Yangtzepete? Nostalgie? Others?

cheers
    Is this the local club event you are referring to? http://bbs.750.com.cn/showtopic-4375.aspx
    If it is, you may want to connect with the organizer and get youself a room if it's not too late. The camping arrangement is also available. Nostalgie is the best person to contact I believe.
    You get this in YiXing:

7. #7 Re: 2011 May Day ride, Shanghai edition 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    A few of us planned to head to the very southern reaches of Zhejiang, we've been to many times before. Even discussed perhaps going across the border into WuYiShan, which would be the second time this year for that trip. Those of us on that excursion had planned to take our big (1000+) cruisers, though I'd be just as happy and in some ways more comfortable on my maxi scoot. The rest of the group (another 4+ guys) that we'd normally ride with have bought some new (used) BMW's with the typical questionable histories, plates and such like and want to head into Anhui, so the usual group of riders is split into two camps so to speak. Not sure about the rest of you guys, but the last couple of afternoons have seen some gnarly winds and a sudden heavy downpour from the heavens above, only to clear up within thirty minutes or so, while the previous part of the days have been bathed in brilliant warm sunshine. Talk about changeable weather, though the maxi scoot is blessing to ride during such occurrences, remaining for all intense-&-purposes... dry! I'd be drenched through even with ATGATT on the Dragstar. Just sayin...
    Today I've had to put in an appearance at the work place, which has worked out well since the forecast is for rain Sat & Sun, confirmed with showers between 8:00-9:30 this morning, though there are high clouds which are still enticing me to go for a ride in the mountains out my windows, with dry bitumen and concrete to boot.
    If any of you lot find your way, or have plans to head south of Hangzhou, then drop me a note here... I'm happy as a wet toddy to share some of this areas best kept riding secrets.

8. #8 Re: 2011 May Day ride, Shanghai edition 
    BTW, one of you mentioned the islands just off the coast of Beilun, Ningbo (PuTuoShan, ZhouShan et al.) Some of our great riding islands include... ZhuJiaJian Dao & TaoHua Dao
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 04-30-2011 at 11:03 PM.

9. #9 Re: 2011 May Day ride, Shanghai edition 
    Hey Doc, u seem to know your rides around our part of the world. I'll very much hope you can show me your favourite runs in the future.
    I went on a simple 100km run yesterday, got lost and ended up covering 180km's trying to get home. I'm a liability riding on my own. Lol.

10. #10 Re: 2011 May Day ride, Shanghai edition 
    Quote Originally Posted by dewsnap View Post
    Hey Doc, u seem to know your rides around our part of the world. I'll very much hope you can show me your favourite runs in the future.
    I went on a simple 100km run yesterday, got lost and ended up covering 180km's trying to get home. I'm a liability riding on my own. Lol.
    Absolutely, more than happy to. :)
    Lots to choose from too which is both a blessing and a curse!
    Ha! the getting lost part, I can relate to that... roll back 6 or so years when I moved down yonder from the big smoke aka Shangers, I got my first 125cc bike down here (jinjian startrek scooter - black with the fold in mirrors at about hip height) and attempted to ride/find my way from Beilun Ningbo - Shanghai - Ningbo, when there was a scarcity of decent maps and GPS was just 3 letters of the English alphabet. I'd ride out on a Saturday explore a route then return home that night, then repeat the exercise on the Sunday aiming to extend the destination a little. Essentially that's what I did multiple weekends to a multitude of destinations and places in-between. I've ridden many many places, and Ningbo-Shanghai-Ningbo a good couple of dozen times over the years. It took me an age to get to a point where I'd not get lost in Hangzhou on each transit through that hell hole for motorcyclists (motorcycle BAN), where invariably I'd end up in a multiple sections of Hangzhou in areas I shouldn't have been only to chase my tail for several hours trying to find my way out of the place!
    So, I can relate and sympathise with you. Great part is getting all lost and confused on the journey, often allows one to find some special and otherwise hidden gems.
    Give me a shout any time you want to drop by these parts (and just to wet your appetite, think - many mountains, rivers, dams, tea plantations, beaches etc).

Addit:
    me and a mate have decided we're going to leave our Dragstars' at home and take our Jetmax's instead for an overnighter (Sun-Mon) down to south Zhejiang destination unsure at this point. We'll make it up as we go along. Will try to get photos and post a wee report, or at least something to make you city dwellers (Shangers & Beijingers) a little envious of my back yard!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast