Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Didn't anyone go out and see the Transorientale rally finish its epic rally in Beijing.
    They gave a fantastic report to the help the Chinese gave them in there part of the rally.

2. #22 Trans Oriental Rally 
    C-Moto Senior
    They didn't come to Beijing. Not sure where the rally ended as there were no news about it here.
    Regds,
    Jim

No, they didn't come to Beijing, the rally ended in the Northeast of Tianjin - here.

Also the Globeriders couldn't start their tour from Beijing in early May as planned. They had to leave from Shanhaiguan instead - here.

Non-track motorsports events in Beijing 2008 - forget it.
    Motorsports in Beijing from July to September - see above.

Andy

That pesky Olympics.

Simon Pavey ended up with 18th overall on what was pretty much a standard
    BMW.
    Read his final report

Pavey finishes inaugural Transorientale Rally - 30 June 2008

Final report

Overall finishing position: 18th

Hi all! Funny enough I am just finishing off the visit to China with a chinese meal in Beijing.

The last day and function of the rally following the final special stage was a bit of an anti-climax really, but then they always are. We were packed into cattle trucks and shuttled for 30km to the Great Wall for a photograph and then that was it.

Yesterday we went down to the port and loaded up the bikes and the van for their long sea voyage home. So Team Pavey have been doing the tourist thing today, finishing with a chinese tonight. It's feels like we've been away for a lifetime, but tomorrow we jump on a plane home.

Overall, it's been an excellent rally and I've really enjoyed it. I've had five top ten finishes, which isn't bad, and proved that when everything was right I could be there with the leaders. We've learnt a lot about the bike and the Touratech parts, so we can go back home and improve the package ready for the Dakar. And we've finished the world's longest rally on what is basically a standard Xchallenge, which can't be bad.

The rally itself was outstanding and it was a credit to the organisers that they managed to get it through China considering the political situation at the moment. The government just shut huge lengths of motorways for us, amazing. The Transorientale and the Olympics are the only two international sporting events allowed in China this year, so it was a big deal for the government.

In terms of terrain the rally was a dream. You name it, we rode on it and in it, well apart from snow, but we had more than enough rain at the beginning to make up for it! We had dunes, gravel, mountains, prairies, sandstorms, motorways, deserts, and mud. I could go on but you get the idea. There was just so much variety in the terrain, unlike the Dakar where you could be just flat on stony desert for ages. My favourite part though has to be the riding through the dunes in the mountains that had lakes between them. It was the most beautiful landscape I have ever seen. I took so many pictures.

Linley and Bernie probably had a harder time on the rally than me to be honest. The rear suspension broke on the van and they had to drive the last nine days of the rally with no rear shocks. Because of the vibration the radiator snapped so they had to stop every 50km or so to fill up the radiator. Bernie was amazing, the guy just worked all night and I couldn't have finished without him. The atmosphere in the team was fantastic, even when things got tough.

When I look back on it now the rally has been an incredible experience for the whole team. The rally has had its ups and downs. The death of two competitors is very sad and lessons need to be learned from that.
    The spirit of all the competitors was amazing though and even when you were racing you know that if somebody is in need, you just stop to help them out. That's just how it is, and that's how you make real friends.

The rally has been the longest in the world and it was tough, and made all of us dig deep, but that's why we do it. Just have a look on a map and see how far we rode, almost half way round the world in just over two weeks, it was awesome!

Pavey finishes Transorientale

Copyright ©2007 Off Road Skills Limited.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123