Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Not Really a China Bike but... BMW 750 Airhead question 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    I think your problem is that the engine has fallen over onto its side?

Would be handy for keeping your feet warm on I suppose.
    Lol.

Thank you very much of the pics of the old BMW.

I was very close to buy BMW R75 like this:

She had front disk brake and original side bags. The seat has been changed too to awesome comfo seat.

She was so beautiful and perfect I had to use all will power I had to not buy her and get a real adventure! Only after reading how much it would cost to rebuild transmission and cardane I managed to give up.

Man, don't really want to memorize it. It was more like once in a lifetime chance I missed.

2. #12 Re: Not Really a China Bike but... BMW 750 Airhead question 
    C-Moto Noob
    Very common on carburetors. The carb is over flowing due to either a stuck float or the inlet needle valve has been damaged. I suspect the latter..

What you need to do is to dis-assemble the carburetor and clean it thoroughly, and then possibly adjusting the float level. You should buy a carb rebuild kit (not expensive) and rebuild it to be 100% sure it is fixed.

What has probably happened is the fuel has gummed up given that it has been sitting for quite a time and the fuel inlet needle valve (controlled by the carburetor float) either has some varnish build up on it causing it to not seal, or the rubber itself has deteriorated to a point that the float bowl valve will not close once the float bowl is full or there is some crud from the fuel tank (rust usually) that has gotten in there and is not allowing the carb fuel inlet valve to shut once the float bowl is full.

If in Beijing, I'll offer to clean it and rebuild it for free as long as you buy the rebuild kit and a couple beers along the way. 2 to 3 hours of work to do it right and adjust it. Not an expert...but I like tuning and playing with carburetors for some reason ....

papadad

3. #13 Re: Not Really a China Bike but... BMW 750 Airhead question 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by papadad View Post
    ...If in Beijing, I'll offer to clean it and rebuild it for free as long as you buy the rebuild kit and a couple beers along the way. 2 to 3 hours of work to do it right and adjust it. Not an expert...but I like tuning and playing with carburetors for some reason ....
    Now that's a post with style! You'll have a lot of friends in this forum, especially our friends in Beijing!

This also gets me thinking: In California I was privileged to join several "tech days" organized by buddies who, like me, ride a KLR650 but, unlike me, know a whole lot about that very wrench-friendly bike. Now that we have a quorum of JH600 owners here in Shanghai, I'm thinking we should be organizing regular tech days to share info and teach each other about mods and maintenance. It would seem there is similar potential in Beijing.

This forum is great for sharing knowledge, but there's nothing like doing a procedure on your bike under the watchful eye of someone who's done it before.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #14 Re: Not Really a China Bike but... BMW 750 Airhead question 
    papa, thanks for the info, if i was in beijing i would take you up on that offer, esp the Beer LoL
    Gardo northern NJ/NYC
    CCW tha Heist tha Widow
    CCW tha Misfit (tha Wraith)
    50 State legal and Worldwide
    CCW Heist Riders

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12