Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 pondering carbs and sprockets 
    The sprocket change from 45 to 36 has improved top end but not by enough. Two noticeable effects:
    1: the rev limiter doesn't get a chance to kick in now in fifth but if I forget to change up it still works OK in fourth.
    2: the bike just doesn't ever wind up to top revs with throttle fully open in top gear.

and finally after a couple of months my brain got working and logic says that must be a lack of power, it just hasn't got enough to carry the weight of me plus machinery even when wide open.

So is this a case where a jet change would work in my favour, i.e. more fuel? I assume just a larger main jet would probably do it and I will look that up and do it but I am wondering if experienced tinkerers amongst you think I would need a larger carburettor set-up all round, ie inlet size as well (and probably a muffler)? That lot wouldn't be worth the expense.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

2. #2 Re: pondering carbs and sprockets 
    C-Moto Regular
    Bigger main jet is only going to help if its running too weak at the minute - do a plug chop and have a look at the colour of the insulator . Full throttle run - hit kill switch - pull in clutch - glide to side of road - pull and examine plug !

Suspect as you say just not enough power to pull that new high gearing - overall you get best performance when you can hit max revs in top gear - not restful etc but gives pretty much best overall performance .

If you go for a bigger carb and higher gearing you might end up with a mini Gold Star - ie all clutch slip and revs to pull away and will need careful balancing of gear selection/revs/throttle opening to get the best out of it - PIA !

I'd suggest something like a 40T and settle for the performance it gives ...........

3. #3 Re: pondering carbs and sprockets 
    Thanks bojer, I had a feeling just squirting more fuel in wouldn't be enough! The plug is perfect, nice coffee colour.

I like this bike but it just doesn't feel safe in traffic. I enjoy riding slowly on country roads (not that 90 - 95 kph on GPS is all that slow) and it is OK on bush tracks as it has enough poke still. It gets to top speed in fourth still and then the rev limiter starts to cut in, so it is a good feeling to have another gear and then it cruises well with less strain. Now the exhaust is rusting it sounds good too, a low growl like a bigger bike! Then I still have a quarter turn of throttle in top and it will very slowly gain another 5 kph if the wind isn't in my face, but that is it, no more. Hmm, so just a lack of power in a 200 cc.

On the freeway it just feels unsafe because everyone else is faster and I have no 'zoom' if danger shows up. I don't like to ride full throttle all the time and I have to stay right to the side and everyone cuts in front and comes much too close to me, and the wind of their passing is often dangerous. I want to keep up or overtake, will have to be a 400cc or more next time.

Some people have mentioned a lot more speed with a larger jet but I can't really see it, maybe their speedometer is out.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

4. #4 Re: pondering carbs and sprockets 
    C-Moto Regular
    Yep - performance sounds much like mine - and much like my previous Gy200 . First impression is that the gearing is too low , I have just gone up 1Tooth on the front and bike will buzz along at 50mph/80kmh on very little throttle BUT get to 55mph and you find you are at 1/2 throttle and opening it up fully gives little extra speed .

I think we are just short of Horsepower really - with higher gearing , losing a few kg/lbs and height(rider!) , bit of a tailwind and a downhill higher gearing would give more speed but it would not be "real" ! IE going in the opposite direction up the hill , into the wind , sitting up etc would mean changing down and a struggle to keep up a decent speed.

I think that with a roadbike with less frontal area etc you can get away with substantial higher gearing/bigger carb etc but I think on a trail/adventure bike there is too little to gain . Even 600 singles are hard work on fast dual carriageways with a headwind !

I have gone from a 104 main jet to a 120 with the airbox mod - bike feels a lot stronger in the midrange etc and will lift the front wheel on the throttle but has done little for the top speed - and I dont want to rev it much more than whatever the revs are at 55mph anyway .

For me at the moment I just choose my roads and time of day with care ! Even with the price of fuel as it is most everyone is in much more of a rush to get somewhere than I am !

5. #5 Re: pondering carbs and sprockets 
    Well the fuel thing hasn't quite got to them yet. they are hurrying toward hell which is just around the corner. The 'first world' round here is certainly doing OK, the gap between rich and poor is increasing and I notice it all around me but most still run at least two cars, own their houses and buy things I see as insane. Talking to some neighbours today who just put in a $40,000 swimming pool, the designer 'chairs' round it cost $3000 each. It will be used perhaps ten days a year and they are in their 60's. Well if they make it to 100 that is still $100 a day. I find that obscene. Up to them I guess, their money.

It will all collapse soon, most couples now cannot afford to buy a home any more so they spend the money on disposable Iphones and so on and on high monthly data-plans, just to twitter and yap on facebook. I see it as fiddling while Rome burns. Fuel here is now nearly $1.50 a litre and rising fast.

Any way, back on topic, the 200cc will have to do me for a while longer, the car wiring loom decided to burn last week so today I decided I couldn't fix it and went up to town and bought a second hand 1300 cc car. First time I have had such a small engine, I usually like big cars with some power. My Nissan Patrol was 4 litre so it had to go. Stupid having it when I couldn't afford to go anywhere any more!

I'm not so much in a rush either these days but it is dangerous in Australia to ride slower than the traffic, probably the least courteous drivers in the world I have ever met. Oh well, car for freeways again, bike for sunny days in the bush and winding country roads. Nice talking to you, thanks for your experience and thoughts.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

6. #6 Re: pondering carbs and sprockets 
    C-Moto Regular
    Sadly much the same here - petrol £1.39 a litre but loads of Audi Q? and BMW X? type devices flying around - I never go out in the car now unless I specifically have to but cycling puts you in the crosshairs of the aforementioned loons .

Was a good day out on the roads today though - some sort of event going on in London that seemed to have everyones stuck in fron of their TV

My bike has only just done 800km but out of scientific interest I found: Will "cruise" at 90kmh if it has to , I prefer 80kmh as quieter and more comfy if on little used roads , full throttle at 60kmh gets you to about 90kmh quite quickly and eventually gets you up to about 110kmh (without lying on the tank etc!) After that its really struggling to add much speed .

Bit sad to hear its nearly as bad there as in the UK Jape - sounds v similar - who buys all the £40000 cars you see on the road ? - 6+ year old cars are often worth very little......?!

Take it easy

7. #7 Re: pondering carbs and sprockets 
    I think it is the last gasps of the paid-up and retired, plus the credit rich but puzzled middle-class, who will soon find they cannot eat designer clothes and furniture, that are buying the expensive cars. Six-year-old cars just don't last any more and in Aus often have 200,000 km on them. For a decent second hand car you pay though, I spent $8000 on my secondhand 9 yr old because it has only 70,000 km, new windscreen/tyres and a year's tax and a new roadworthy certificate! In the State of Victoria, you don't have to do that yearly, you pay a registration fee yearly but don't have to do a MOT type test or any repairs so getting one that is newly passed is quite a bonus. I'm not telling anyone what it is because so far everyone has laughed at me for buying one .... but if you think Jeremy Clarkson and a fox hunt you would be close! Its a compromise between my dying macho need for a 4WD in the bush on potholed, gravel roads with floods and so on, and the need for a cheap ride! I went looking for a big Chinese one, a 'Great Wall' as they are called here, but the secondhand market doesn't exist yet, too new in this market. Oh well, this has a working radio and CD player and air-conditioning too which is an improvement on my lifestyle! It also has a towbar so I can take the bike behind in a trailer if I ever get enough petrol money saved to actually go anywhere. Trouble with Aus is that to visit your mates you may need to drive 2,000 km each way!

I am surprised you didn't get a bit more from your CCM with the 230 cc. You get a more powerful response and smoother ride up to the top end though it seems, but not a lot of top end and you did your jet and sprocket. That definitely stops me going to a replacement engine of that size later then. The hardtail boys seem to be getting more with that size donk, maybe because they are lower down in profile and more aerodynamic (and the USA mile is shorter or something)!
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

8. #8 Re: pondering carbs and sprockets 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    I'm not telling anyone what it is because so far everyone has laughed at me for buying one ...
    Jape you are with friends here. So if you care of us you tell and we can get good laughs

9. #9 Re: pondering carbs and sprockets 
    terios.jpg its a daihatsu 'terios' and the reviews i found go from 'awful' to 'don't get one'. But then they say that about chinabikes too ...
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

10. #10 Re: pondering carbs and sprockets 
    I don't see what is laughable on that car mate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast