Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Simple street bike for the beginning 
    Hi,

I apologize if that's not the correct place, if yes then please move it. The post jumps between different topic so I wasn't sure where to put it (street? beijing? offroad?)

Ok, so first the story :)

I'm searching right now for something simple. What I want is:

- cheap!
    - with gears
    - cheap!
    - not necessary legal
    - used to travel in city - Beijing

I'd like to have a bike that would allow me to go to the office in the morning, that would allow me to go into different parts of the city, that will be basically used inside of the city. I live in the border of 4th ring, office is in the border of 4th ring, so A - plates aren't necessary.

Now, there are couple of factors that I need to take into account:

- legal?
    - bike or bike'ish ;)

As for the legal - if I can get without buying a plate, then fine. Friend from the office has a scooter with fake plates and is fine with it.

As for the bike'ish - real bike (expensive) or something that might fall apart?

Now, as you could probably tell, I'm not sure what I need :D I was thinking about something like this - no plates, bike'ish

http://bj.58.com/danche/5586540929542x.shtml

or

http://bj.58.com/danche/4216080938881x.shtml

Just to be able to travel to office, on weekend to different parts of the city (I still have a lot I want to see in Bj, no need to go outside right now).

The advantage - price! :D
    The problems - well, I'm guessing it's not allowed to run on the streets ;). If I will be pulled over, I will loose my bike. So, question is, what are the chances that I will be pulled over? Also, does it even have a gears? After reading all about buying gas only with plates - will they sell it to me on this bike?

Generally, what do you think about using that bike in the city?

I'm pretty sure I could buy a scooter, run it without plates and be fine with it, but I don't want automatic gear.

My next question (and the one that qualifies post to be in this forum ;) ) is:

What are the options for me having legal bike in Bj? What I'm into is something similar to Suzuki Sv - naked bikes. I've got an sv650 at home, I found that I could buy a sv400 here. Could I register it with B-plates to have legal bike? I could afford to lose cheap, 1,5k bike, but not beloved sv :D. Are there alternatives to sv400? It might be something smaller, 250 is fine. What I would love to do is to learn how to bend properly etc, and it's hard to do (I think) on something smaller than 250.

What is the cost of this kind of bike? I assume 2k for plates? Could I find some bike for 3-5k? It doesn't have to be the best one, just something that I will have fun riding.

So, to sum up - read this part if you skipped everything before ;)

Is is worthwhile to have bike'ish cheap ripoff to travel in the city, without plates?

What is the minimum I need to spend on a legal bike that will feel like real bike (naked, 250+)?

Sorry for all the jumping back and forth, as you can see I still lack knowledge and I'm asking simplest questions :)

Thanks for the answers in advance :)

2. #2 Re: Simple street bike for the beginning 
    Hi and welcome. There's plenty of bike reviews here on this forum. Have a scoot around for more info.

You should defnitely look for a bike which can be registered with legal plates. There's plenty of 125's and 150cc motorbikes out there but the 250 class is limited. I can't really help you with the plate situation up in Bejing, i've heard they're using a lottery system which seems taxing and complicated.

I've recently bought a Regal-Raptor DD250G-2N. It's probably the cheapest road legal 250cc bike available n China so if you're on a budget have a look at that. I'm really enjoying mine.
    Check out this thread. http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ptor-DD250G-2N

If you'd rather a reliable well bult 250 have a look at the Yamaha YBR 250, but that bike aint cheap. Have a look at SoberPete's thread. http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...pete-s-YBR-250

Good luck.

3. #3 Re: Simple street bike for the beginning 
    C-Moto Regular
    I'd suggest a scooter initially, but you want gears, so a light motorcycle may be preferable. If you're at all interested, I'm selling my Yamaha YBR-125 by the end of this year. PM me for details.

4. #4 Re: Simple street bike for the beginning 
    dewsnap thanks for the info. That regal looks exactly like the bike I'd like to have :D. For now, I'll probably stick with the minicross for the work-home transfers. I'll check the reveiws soon, as you suggest, but do you know if there is any of those small bikes?

As for the plates, as far as I know, you have a lottery system only for A-plates. I could live with the B-plate.

Steve_R, 125 is kinda not my style. After riding on 600 and 1100, I'd prefer something bigger. As for the offer - I'm searching for something now :D

Ok, heading to reviews section, brb :)

5. #5 Re: Simple street bike for the beginning 
    pitbike engines for offroad uses that have a healdightslapped on are abit iffy on reliability having such a long stroke in each rotation of the engine

6. #6 Re: Simple street bike for the beginning 
    C-Moto Senior
    What about a Dax clone? There are several makes available, Jincheng, Zenghua, Lifan. They are fairly cheap in the UK, usually under £1000, less if you go for a 50cc, and most are geared. There is also lots of upgrades available for them from internet sellers.

7. #7 Re: Simple street bike for the beginning 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trexuk View Post
    What about a Dax clone? There are several makes available, Jincheng, Zenghua, Lifan. They are fairly cheap in the UK, usually under £1000, less if you go for a 50cc, and most are geared. There is also lots of upgrades available for them from internet sellers.
    You realise you are replying to a 2011 thread... and just because something is available in UK does not mean it is in PRC, despite it being manufactured here. Spend a little time kicking round various posts and threads here and you'll pick that fact up... pretty quick.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

8. #8 Re: Simple street bike for the beginning 
    C-Moto Senior
    Yes I did realise it was an old post. I am surprised you can't get Chinese bikes in China.