Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 pondering carbs and sprockets and new (old) cars 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    Attachment 4033 its a daihatsu 'terios' and the reviews i found go from 'awful' to 'don't get one'. But then they say that about chinabikes too ...
    I test drove a brand new one of those many years ago ! Them and the little Suzuki 4x4s are quite common here - fuel is expensive but roads are poor with lots of potholes and speed bumps etc so they make sense . Thought he seemed quite attached to it really - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...icle824049.ece

My CCM is advertised as having a top speed of 72mph - given a few more miles it would probably get there with someone smaller and less mechanically sympathetic ! But I couldnt see it making the 75mph the Bobber guys seem to be getting out of theirs. I have a taller section rear tyre going on soon so that might give a bit of a more relaxed feel at "speed" but even so at the moment you have to use a fair amount of clutch to pull away in first on the rough tralis - I do weigh about 95kg though....... I have just sold my 604 CCm though and have been used to bigger bikes previously but I do get a kinda perverse satisfaction from my little bike !

Think mine is "derestricted" now but not looking at "tuning" it for more performance - silk purse and cows ear come to mind !!
    Last edited by bojer; 04-30-2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Too many keys - too few fingers.......

2. #2 Re: pondering carbs and sprockets 
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    I don't see what is laughable on that car mate.
    review:
    http://www.topgear.com/uk/daihatsu/terios

and video: DAMMIT, I show other people how to do this but can't get it right for myself today so use Moilami's link below please
    (thanks very much mate)
    Last edited by jape; 04-30-2011 at 11:00 AM.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

3. #3 Re: pondering carbs and sprockets 
    Ah, well but I guess it still works. If it works, it can't be too bad.

Edit: video fix.

4. #4 Re: pondering carbs and sprockets 
    Have to say that video is the best car review video I have seen. Would be great to do similar of a china bike

5. #5 Re: pondering carbs and sprockets 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Jape, if I had to have a car, that's the kind I'd have. Last week I drove halfway across Shandong in a similar, but surely lesser, Chinese-made minivan (they're called breadbox cars in Chinese), and it did fine for hours on end at 110 kph with six people and a load of gingko fruit inside.

Bigger is not better, though you need to drive even more defensively, and stay away from congregations of aggressive speeding SUVs -- i.e., the expressways.

Nice choice. Is that your actual vehicle, or a facsimile? As you yourself are wont to say: Without pictures it don't exist!

How's the writing project going?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: pondering carbs and sprockets 
    From jape,
    "The hardtail boys seem to be getting more with that size donk, maybe because they are lower down in profile and more aerodynamic (and the USA mile is shorter or something)!" Or the speedometer is off by 10%.

Take all internet claims regarding MPH,MPG, sexual exploits, and fishing with a large grain of salt.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

7. #7 Re: pondering carbs and sprockets 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    From jape,
    "The hardtail boys seem to be getting more with that size donk, maybe because they are lower down in profile and more aerodynamic (and the USA mile is shorter or something)!" Or the speedometer is off by 10%.

Take all internet claims regarding MPH,MPG, sexual exploits, and fishing with a large grain of salt.
    Thanks for that - will sleep easy tonight then !

8. #8 Re: pondering carbs and sprockets 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Nice choice. Is that your actual vehicle, or a facsimile? As you yourself are wont to say: Without pictures it don't exist!
    How's the writing project going?
    The writing is on stop for the moment Jeff, been preoccupied with cars and finances and all that crap, anyway after I edited it to take out the stuff I am under oath not to write about, then took out the rude stuff, then took out the sex scenes ... there was nothing much left ...

terios 1.5.11.jpg terios2_1.5.11.jpg

A grey day but it looks OK for a nine year old. It has four inches of headroom left and I am 6'2". Bouncy ride though, coils all round and narrow track.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

9. #9 Re: pondering carbs and sprockets 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    The writing is on stop for the moment Jeff, been preoccupied with cars and finances and all that crap, anyway after I edited it to take out the stuff I am under oath not to write about, then took out the rude stuff, then took out the sex scenes ... there was nothing much left ...
    Please restore the rude stuff and sex scenes. Why on earth would you take those out?

A grey day but it looks OK for a nine year old. It has four inches of headroom left and I am 6'2". Bouncy ride though, coils all round and narrow track.
    That little Daihatsu looks even more fun than the (two-door) Jimny! Why would anyone need any more car than that? Clarkson said he's 6'5" and he only banged his head once or twice. Looking at those two pix, all you need now is a nubile woman draped over the bike. Or not. A barkbusted chinabike and a nimble 4x4 and a cabin in the woods -- what more do you need?

Now we need to start thinking about mods for the Daihatus!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #10 Re: pondering carbs and sprockets 
    'Nubile' doesn't matter, 'ambulatory' would do ... but probably not a bad idea to stay without the company of females for a wee while, I need to start to save again now I bought this thing, so I can get over there asap!
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast