Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: What to get?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What to get? 
    C-Moto Noob
    I'm a first time rider and have been researching these Chinese bikes. I am looking for something like the Hi-bird Regular Style 250 V-Twin. I am 6'2" tall and weigh 245 lbs, would that be a good bike for me? I want something 250-300cc and the chopper look. I don't want to look like a giant on it. I live in Detroit, Michigan and wonder if there is a dealer around town. I would like to look at one. Please help

2. #2 Re: What to get? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by roncreewall View Post
    I don't want to look like a giant on it.
    If you're 6'2 and looking at a 250 that requirement may be difficult to meet. That being said, you should really try it out yourself to see how it "fits". 250 is an excellent place to start for a new rider. I'm just shy 0f 6'2 myself and with some modifications to the seat and rear shocks of my 250 I've got a half decent daily driver.
    Going to need some other members to chime in on Hi-Bird in terms of quality. I am very impressed with the looks of their XR1200 clone though.

3. #3 Re: What to get? 
    Nice link Nuhaus. It's funny, being only active on this forum it's easy to forget what the rest of the world thinks of china bikes and china. A quick browse through the comments on that page is a good reminder...

4. #4 Re: What to get? 
    I do not think the standard V-twin ever got past the artists rendering. I think the article brought out comments that are not that well founded. A copy of a Rolex watch is not the same as a watch that looks like a Rolex. Its not a XR1200 it just has the same lines, far from a copy, totally different actually from the engine to the frame.

This is not the same as the Hi-Bird Chopper but similar, Hi-Birds may have been imported but you would have to find one lurking around they are not to the best of my knowledge being formally distributed. I think they have a Zongshen version of that V-twin.

These I believe have a Lifan engine and the entire bike I believe is manufactured by Lifan.
    http://www.rhinomotorcycles.com/prestock_flm003.php

The Rhino is a Lifan similar to the Hi-bird but not exactly the same.
    Last edited by MJH; 05-06-2011 at 01:33 PM.

5. #5 Re: What to get? 

6. #6 Re: What to get? 
    I personally would like to see a website offer the V-Twin 250 in the standard form and also the V-twin 400 that Lifan also manufactures.

I do not care if they have the same lines as the XR1200, I personally prefer that they did and not be copies of the V-star Yamahas which Lifan is currently offering for sale in the USA.

http://www.americanlifan.com/

They instead choose to set up a different website for the Chopper and hire some strippers and take some pictures of the choppers. That’s fine they are after a certain market…but what about the market for standards? It’s just is not there?

Given a choice the market takes the cruiser or the chopper and not the standard? HD is moving its line toward cleaner looking bikes, not stopping the old styles just introducing some cleaner looking bikes.
    The least cost of which is the Iron 883 it has an MSRP of around $7,500.00.

Iron 883

XR1200

The Chinese can make a 250 and 400cc Sporsters as far as I am concerned, I would prefer they did.

7. #7 Re: What to get? 
    It's not a copy...its an artists rendering.

8. #8 Re: What to get? 
    If you want one of these here is a link.

Last edited by MJH; 05-06-2011 at 02:07 PM.

9. #9 Re: What to get? 

10. #10 Re: What to get? 
    For what you would spend for a new china Bike you could get a slightly used Jap bike of Craigs list that may fit your needs.
    I ride a CCW Heist Bobber. Single cyl thumper but it hauls. i ride to work on it ever so often but had put about 500 miles on her in 10 days.
    you ned to really find a bike that will fit you where you will be comfortable on it.

You may also want to look at the Johnny Pag bikes which are also known as Regal Raptors
    http://www.johnnypag.com/motorcycles/
    Gardo northern NJ/NYC
    CCW tha Heist tha Widow
    CCW tha Misfit (tha Wraith)
    50 State legal and Worldwide
    CCW Heist Riders

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast