Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: A Tale of Stupidity 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    http://www.msgroup.org/articles.aspx
    Another good read, well, 266 reads.

2. #12 Re: A Tale of Stupidity 
    He Dewsnap, sorry to hear about your incident. I've had a several of those before. Forgot to kick the kickstand up a few times and made a left turn only to find my kickstand dragging. Stupid. Take care of yourself and see you on the road soon!

3. #13 Re: A Tale of Stupidity 
    Thanks for all the replies. I felt a lot better after reading through them all this morning. MCM rules!

The links from Euphonius and Slabo are also VERY useful reading for both newbies and experienced riders alike. Reading through them made me realise just how little i learned from doing the motorcycle testing here in China. It's frightening to think that i could now go out and legally buy and ride an R1 or Fireblade without restrictions. It's a bit like giving a kid a loaded gun.

The ribs are still agony 4 days later. Euphonius pointed out quite rightly that laughing, coughing, and sneezing brings about pretty much the sharpest pain imaginable. Broken ribs suck. I've also got another bloody dose of fire and needles to enjoy this afternoon. It's not all misery tho, i sneakily went out on the bike for half an hour this morning. That was another big mistake. I wont be doing that again with a broken rib. Everytime i squeezed the front brake it felt like someone was slamming me in the chest with a baseball bat. It's just the thought of waiting 100 days for the bone to heal is killing me as the sun is blazing here in Shanghai.

4. #14 Re: A Tale of Stupidity 
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune dewsnap. The first thing i thought was weird, just like slabo, is why your bike would even start in gear with the clutch out. I though every bike bike had that safety switch on the clutch to prevent this from happening. Perhaps yours is broken? The rest has already been covered by everyone, so i'll move straight on to my last point:

Our darling chinese better halves will always attempt to cure all your illnesses with traditional chinese methods. Sometimes it is worth resisting. Last time i had a sore back for some reason or other, i finally gave in to my panda's requests to go and have my back scraped. Seriously. For the modest sum of 150RMB, i sat there for 30 mins while some lady dragged bits of wood down my back, ripping little pieces of skin as she went along. Then i got 5 minutes of those weird suction cups that make you look like a dinosaur for the next two weeks to 'suck' the sore-back-ness out of me. At the end i was feeling pretty raped already, but she calmly explained to me that it would take another 19 sessions to cure me of my problem. It could only presume that she perceived my problem to stem from a heavy wallet. After i finally managed to restore my middle finger to its natural position, i vowed to not trust chinese medicine again. My girlfriend was very understanding and thankful that i gave it a shot.

Sticking needles in your arms does not heal broken ribs, but then again if it made sense it wouldn't be china...

Heal soon buddy

5. #15 Re: A Tale of Stupidity 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune dewsnap. The first thing i thought was weird, just like slabo, is why your bike would even start in gear with the clutch out. I though every bike bike had that safety switch on the clutch to prevent this from happening. Perhaps yours is broken? The rest has already been covered by everyone, so i'll move straight on to my last point:

Our darling chinese better halves will always attempt to cure all your illnesses with traditional chinese methods. Sometimes it is worth resisting. Last time i had a sore back for some reason or other, i finally gave in to my panda's requests to go and have my back scraped. Seriously. For the modest sum of 150RMB, i sat there for 30 mins while some lady dragged bits of wood down my back, ripping little pieces of skin as she went along. Then i got 5 minutes of those weird suction cups that make you look like a dinosaur for the next two weeks to 'suck' the sore-back-ness out of me. At the end i was feeling pretty raped already, but she calmly explained to me that it would take another 19 sessions to cure me of my problem. It could only presume that she perceived my problem to stem from a heavy wallet. After i finally managed to restore my middle finger to its natural position, i vowed to not trust chinese medicine again. My girlfriend was very understanding and thankful that i gave it a shot.

Sticking needles in your arms does not heal broken ribs, but then again if it made sense it wouldn't be china...

Heal soon buddy

6. #16 Re: A Tale of Stupidity 
    C-Moto Noob
    Please stop! between the two of you I think I just got a hernia from laughing so hard! I apologize about the rib, embarrassment, and subsequent anguish, but the delivery of the story was simply ingenius as was the reply. Thank you for a real good laugh.

7. #17 Re: A Tale of Stupidity 
    C-Moto Noob
    No, Really, Please stop, I need to breath! You guys are hilarious.

8. #18 Re: A Tale of Stupidity 
    Quote Originally Posted by dewsnap View Post
    I decided to start this thread as I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself and wanted to share my stupid story. Last night i dropped my bike and ended up with a broken rib.

Imagine the scenario. Friday night i do a demo class for a new one to one student at his home. He's a stock broker and lives in a 4 floor mansion tucked away in a beautiful compound in Shanghai. His wife is the senior HR manager for Coca-Cola China and last night i nearlly killed them both on their doorstep with my bike.
    Very funny, lol, I can just imagine it, haha... sorry (see me laughing nest month when I do the same)

Did you get the student?

9. #19 Re: A Tale of Stupidity 
    Haha, yeah i got the student in the end... He doesn't talk to me on his driveway anymore though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12