Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Beijing - Out again, West again 
    This time I decided to explore known, as well as new areas around national road G108 in Beijing.

I planned to ride to Shidu first and then cross the mountain range North, towards G108 on three different roads, two of them dirt and gravel paths.

After riding the 4th Ring and G04 I reached a country road with two small but nice to ride passes, ideal as a strater. I got to Shidu after 90 minutes refueled the bike and made my way to enter the first mountain road.

On the way to Shidu

Remember 2.7 meters

I was totally surprised to find that charming 31km dirt road has been transformed into a 31km, perfectly paved, twisty mountain road. I was on this road twice before, in 2004 with my black Santana and in 2005 with the bike. Did'nt find any pics from 2005, but some to compare road conditions from 2004 and 2011.

A picture from 2011 ...

... and one from almost the same spot in 2004

Tunnel 2011 ...

... and tunnel in 2004

Vehicle used in 2004 ...

... and in 2011

But back to the present now. They built a road which provides perfect riding for everyone who considers a straight being the useless connection between two bends or for those who want to rub off the outermost tiny rubber strands of their tires.

About 8kms into the road, I stopped for rider refill and discharge and to take some pictures. After that break I moved on to enjoy this new road, not without stopping many times for more pics. After these increadible 31kms, I reached national road G108 for the first time that day.

Tunnel in the distance

twisty

Looking what's coming up

Picture without road

I headed Westbound on G108 for about 10kms before I would have to start searching for the hidden turn off to my next target, the canyon gravel pass and I got hit by surprise again. A large and brand new sign indicates the turnoff to what once was an idyllic dirt road ride across a mountain and down a snaky path into a canyon. I couldn't believe they had built that road - they did. The outcome is another increadible twisty ride, ideal to intensively use the flanks of your motorcycle tires

I was on that road in 2007. Here some pictures to compare now and then.

The cut in 2007 ...

... and in 2011

The bike 2007 ...

... and 2011

Turns 2007 ...

... and 2011

Needless to say another road with perfect riding conditions, 19kms long and crossing a very twisty pass. I was left speechless on the descent to the bottom of the canyon. Unfortunately every road has two ends and I reached the southern one way too early and met local road X020, which would lead me back up to national road G108.

The way up to the pass

Panorama - click for the huge version

View into a side valley

Breathtaking views

Another side valley

Turns

A view to the bottom of the canyon

A look back up

Too good to be true

I had to ride about 20kms up on twisty local road X020 to reach G108. For the first time that day, road conditions were bad as the road is being prepared to receive the final layer of asphalt, after which it will be as perfect as the other two roads were. No quick riding was possible due to grinding patches and chippings all over. Shortly before I met G108, I stopped for rider refill and picture taking.

X020 - will be perfect with the new coating, maybe before the summer.

My loyal companion and ...

... see the antenna on top of the mountain? - my next destination, Baicaopan

I was back on G108 and had to ride East for about 20kms before reaching the turn off to Baicaopan at Longmentai. The next 35 kms or so will bring me up to over 2000m asl!!
    The road has a concrete surface, coal-dust slippery for the first half but not bad to ride. Shortly after the coal dust ends, the toll gate appears and I had to buy a 40RMB ticked, well spent I have to add. The last 15 kms to the summit were also on concrete with good grip due to, what I believe, glass dust.
    I reached the summit at 2024m asl and it was windy and chilly up there. I saw two cars on the way up and maybe five people up at the top. I soaked the scenic views, took some pictures, refilled the rider and finally made my way down towards national road G108.

The last turns of the cooal dust section

Ticket gate

Half way up

Nice road

Still some turns left

Turns and turns and turns

View from the top

View to the West

East view

Summit parking

Antenna

Man and machine

2024 meters

Road, wherever you look

On the way down

Didn't expect to meet this guy here

I reached G108 and headed East, towards Beijing and therefore home. I passed the turn off to increadible new road no. 2 and 10kms later the one to increadible new road no.1, where I stopped. 66 minutes later I stood at the same spot, but with the trip counter mystically showing 77kms more I thought it was a good idea to ride the two roads again, the other way round, without stopping for pictures just to burn fuel and increase tire wear A final rider refill before riding nonstop back home.

Signboard at the turn off - I love the 2nd one from below

And finally, a black Santana
    Last edited by chinabiker; 05-08-2011 at 10:18 AM.
    Andy

2. #2 Re: Beijing - Out again, West again 
    Maps, Statistics and thoughts

The link to all pictures.

Overview map

Map Movie

The first increadible new road

The second increadible new road

X020

The road to Baicaopan

Some statistics

Here the track for GE viewing

I've noticed that the (illegal?) coal mining in the area along G108 from some years ago has almost stopped. All side roads have the 2.7m height limit now. Is it really the end of this dirty business out there? Hopefully yes. I also saw an inrease in tourist traps ...eeh sites.

A serious problem in this area, and the region around Beijing, is the lack of water.

I still cannot understand why they built these two roads. Not that I don't like them, but for my sense, two mountain crossings within 10kms in a very low populated area where obviously no industry is located or mining is going on, are waste of funds. Building these roads must have cost a fortune.
    Last edited by chinabiker; 05-08-2011 at 05:55 AM.
    Andy

3. #3 Re: Beijing - Out again, West again 
    Wow, thanks. A spectacular and very interesting report.

4. #4 Re: Beijing - Out again, West again 
    Completely awesome ride report again Andy. Seems the road crews have been very busy, as you said, can't imagine what those roads could possibly be for. You would think they were planned by a motorcyclist, but TIC, so we know better

I wish they would send a few engineers down south to teach the locals here about the proper use of asphalt. We get endless ribbons of concrete, but the black stuff is so rare. Even though we never get snow or frost, twisty mountain roads like that end up destroyed in 3-5 years. They really build things much better up north, I wonder if it's because they monitor the corruption in the construction industry more tightly.

Thanks again for sharing another great ride

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #5 Re: Beijing - Out again, West again 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Which is more expensive? Asphalt or concrete? The logic would be: Whichever is more expensive provides the bigger kickbacks.

Andy, I am hoping that this series of three rides ranks up there among your most memorable in China, and all the more so having been done (two out of three) solo and in the space of just a few days. I'd like to think that if I once again lived full time in Beijing I'd be out there doing it like you, day in and day out, methodical but relaxed, soaking it all in. But then I remember how rare those gorgeous sunny days can be. But just about anything beats being trapped in Shanghai.

thanks so much for these brilliant reports and pix!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: Beijing - Out again, West again 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Completely awesome ride report again Andy. Seems the road crews have been very busy, as you said, can't imagine what those roads could possibly be for. You would think they were planned by a motorcyclist, but TIC, so we know better
    Actually I don't see any other reason for these roads than

I wish they would send a few engineers down south to teach the locals here about the proper use of asphalt. We get endless ribbons of concrete, but the black stuff is so rare. Even though we never get snow or frost, twisty mountain roads like that end up destroyed in 3-5 years. They really build things much better up north, I wonder if it's because they monitor the corruption in the construction industry more tightly.
    The two new roads seem to be built really good. Not only the new black top, but also the base layer and breast walls seem to be really solid work. However, up North isn't up North, as one will notice when crossing from Beijing into Hebei. Road conditions literaly change from one meter to the next.

Thanks again for sharing another great ride
    Andy

7. #7 Re: Beijing - Out again, West again 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Which is more expensive? Asphalt or concrete? The logic would be: Whichever is more expensive provides the bigger kickbacks.
    Concrete is easier to "produce" Two fellows with shovels, sand, a bit cement and a barrel of water - you can mix it anywhere you want

Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Andy, I am hoping that this series of three rides ranks up there among your most memorable in China, and all the more so having been done (two out of three) solo and in the space of just a few days. I'd like to think that if I once again lived full time in Beijing I'd be out there doing it like you, day in and day out, methodical but relaxed, soaking it all in. But then I remember how rare those gorgeous sunny days can be. But just about anything beats being trapped in Shanghai.

thanks so much for these brilliant reports and pix!

cheers
    For sure these rides will be ranked very high on the list. Two reasons to ride alone. Firstly, not so many people I would take with me have time during the week and secondly when I am alone I can ride when and as much as I want. I don't mind starting early and riding 400km, 500km or even more in a day. Sure, to share such rides with friends on the road would be perfect.
    Andy

8. #8 Re: Beijing - Out again, West again 
    Andy, i'm having trouble here describing my feelings without using some extremely rude words, so i'll just say Holy fucking shit that is the most beautiful thing i have ever seen! (in china)

Last year after coming back from my big ride through zhejiang i made a bold claim to have found the best biking road in china. I think you are the first to present me with evidence that would revoke that claim. Amazing, amazing stuff...

9. #9 Re: Beijing - Out again, West again 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Andy, i'm having trouble here describing my feelings without using some extremely rude words, so i'll just say Holy fucking shit that is the most beautiful thing i have ever seen! (in china)
    That was exactly what I was murmuring under my helmet when I saw it
    Andy

10. #10 Re: Beijing - Out again, West again 
    Hats off to you Andy, amazing ride and pics, thank you.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast