Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. #41 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    It will likely only get you so far. Lots of discussion about this bit of legal speak on a number of threads on MCM.
    If they are as blind as taxi drivers (I think all traffic related ppl are here), then I'll have a blast watching them trying to read and "understand".

Thanks for the warning though.

2. #42 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    Kudos to you mate.. You should consider Siming Shan from Ningbo all the way through to Shang Yu and up to Sheng Zhou. Thousands of kilometers of amazing mountain views.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Update :

I wrote in this thread that I would go back to Moganshan by the national roads (no expressways), but this time 2-up, and I finally did last weekend.
    We took the G318 from Shanghai to Huzhou, then the G104 to Moganshan. Exactly 202km from my home to our hotel in Moganshan.

So my comments :
    - 5 hours to do the trip, with a 150cc bike. This includes taking breaks more often than when you're doing it solo, I'd say every 75kms on average.
    - what kills the average speed is mainly the traffic lights and the traffic, around Shanghai and Huzhou. What doesn't help is the hundredths of people and animals wanting to commit suicide by jumping under your wheels. Special mention to the "crazy towns" along the G318, especially Nanxun, where everyone and their mother is crossing the national road without even looking at what's coming...
    - you need to stay calm when all this happens, and to remind your lovely passenger that moving a lot to give them the finger or show them your anger is not helping the balance of the bike. ;-))
    - sudden heavy thunderstorm rains suck.
    - Scala Rider intercom do not suck. At all. ;-)
    - Top speed 2-up with heavy saddlebags : 80km/h.
    - Cruising speed on the national roads when nobody want to jump in front of you : 70 to 75 km/h

But yes, it was really worth it, a weekend in Moganshan is a great way to escape Shanghai. And the roads around Moganshan are sooooo great to ride !

3. #43 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    C-Moto Guru
    I'm on my way to Zhejiang right now. Long ride as usual out of Shanghai. Stayed the night near Hangzhou. I'll cross the bridge mentioned earlier in the post with the elevators later today.
    I'm bumping this post as I also want to find short trips around Shanghai. The escape part is the most crucial.
    I remember a post by bikerdoc which said that there was a ferry from Shanghai to Putuoshan or Ningbo( although I wasn't able to find this post when planning this trip). I went to the south of Shanghai and tentatively looked for this., then decided to go the long way and take a bridge. Unfortunately didn't take the G15 bridge as advised by Prince666.
    Oh well, I'm prsssing on as I'm pretty certain Zhejiang has lovely mountain roads.

One local actually straight up gave me the correct advise yesterday. With a worried expression and after being unable himself to find details of the ferry, he said, "you should just leave your bike out here in rural Shanghai, then when you want to ride,come out and start her." That's actually probably the best way.

4. #44 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    Well done.
    Ride safe and good luck.
    The bridge with the lift to get your bike up onto the road is unique IMO.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #45 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Yep. The bridge compete with elevator 江东大桥 crossing the 钱塘江
    The approach road.
    image.jpg
    Attached Images

6. #46 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    C-Moto Regular
    That's awesome. How are the roads? Also how are you keeping hands warm?

7. #47 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Hok View Post
    That's awesome. How are the roads? Also how are you keeping hands warm?
    Roads are fair to middling. Glad I'm riding a dirt bike. Haha. Gotta say though, simingshan in Zhejiang has a new tarmac road that winds through the mountain scenery. Nice. When I went it was cold and wet with intense fog. 10m visibility. Hairy. But I thought these twistys would be appreciated by many riders.

I didn't keep my hands warm. I've got winter vortex riding gloves but hands still get wet from sweat. Frozen on the last day (figuratively speaking).

8. #48 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    C-Moto Guru
    This thread is about the best escapes from Shanghai. Well zhejiang is in the running. I'd visit 西口 on the other side of simingshan road. Lots of old building s. Apparently the birth place of chiangkai shek. I didn't know before. From central Shanghai. The bridge above was a full day's ride took the S101 out of Shanghai.
    I stopped in a bend in the road town on the outskirts of hangzhou on the way there and back. I got from 西口 through the winding mountain road of 四明山 and back on the g318 over the bridge in one long day. The g329 also took me all the way to beilun district of ningbo on the way out.

9. #49 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    Well done.
    You had ago and got back safely.
    Thanks for posting on MCM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

10. #50 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalmonkey View Post
    Roads are fair to middling. Glad I'm riding a dirt bike. Haha. Gotta say though, simingshan in Zhejiang has a new tarmac road that winds through the mountain scenery. Nice. When I went it was cold and wet with intense fog. 10m visibility. Hairy. But I thought these twistys would be appreciated by many riders.

I didn't keep my hands warm. I've got winter vortex riding gloves but hands still get wet from sweat. Frozen on the last day (figuratively speaking).
    I've tried goretex expensive to heated inners and still got cold... Now have cheap Taobao dirt bike hand guards to deflect the wind and rain and seems ok for 2 hours... but after a few hours still gets cold...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast