Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    You are right Steve, let's no kid ourselves here. When i said 'best road in jiangsu', the 'in jiangsu' was important. It's pretty dire that the best road in this province is a 7km stretch on an island, and isn't even allowed to traffic. Let's face it, this is what we're working with:

So we've established that zhejiang is the place to go. Sure Moganshan and Anji are nice, but as a result of their relative proximity to shanghai they are are becoming more and more overrun with the shanghai weekenders. Those are the worst drivers of all. They ruin all your corners by either driving at 10kph or worst yet driving on the wrong side.

South east of hangzhou looks good except we're not allowed allowed to cross that lovely bridge they built. There's another bridge that bikerdoc mentioned in this thread which might make the best compromise for us. Here's an example of what we can get to using that bridge. It's a 750km route, which is pretty hardcore in one day, maybe a weekend trip is more worthwhile. Perhaps Bikerdoc could chime in here and recommend some good in the area?

2. #32 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    South east of hangzhou looks good except we're not allowed allowed to cross that lovely bridge they built. There's another bridge that bikerdoc mentioned in which might make the best compromise for us. Here's an example of what we can get to using that bridge. It's a 750km route, which is pretty hardcore in one day, maybe a weekend trip is more worthwhile. Perhaps Bikerdoc could chime in here and recommend some good in the area?
    Yes, good riding SE of Shaoxing.

Last September I took a 3-day ride thru this area.
    Photos are here.
    Attached Images

3. #33 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    Maybe we should start another thread with title like "How to un-trap from Shanghai". Well, on second thought, that thread would probably quickly take a different tune like "How to get on the expressways from Shanghai".
    Actually there is another way of attacking this problem of being "trapped" in Shanghai. Ordinarily I don't do nights on motorcycle, but G318 is just so well lit at light, all the way from Shanghai to just a bit short of reaching HuZhou 湖州, starting out the night before is definitely an option. The plan is to set out on Friday night, ride for about 3 hours and find a BinGuan 宾馆 at the end of the lighted part of G318 (right around BaLiDian bridge 八里店桥, where I usually get off the G318 anyway to avoid the HuZhou city traffic). One gets a fresh start the second day and leaves the Shanghai/G318 traffic nicely behind. It also makes the first day ("real" trip) 3 hours less tiring.
    I have tried this approach once before and found it highly workable. G318 at night is very quiet with excellent visibility. I was able to be on HuaLang path (华浪线)3 hours later after leaving the BinGuan (in HuZhou at that time, by mistake). I may give it another try this coming Friday. (However, expressway is definitely my preference if I can find company to do it together regardless if we do it the night before or on the same day. Riding on expressway at night does not count as night ride to me.)
    Last edited by milton; 05-12-2011 at 12:00 AM.

4. #34 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hi guys, as an escaped shanghaier, I must ask, anybody thought about PutuoShan?

There is a night ferry (with sleeping cabins), leaving in the north of Shanghai from the Yangtze Terminal, in the morning 7am you arrive PutouShan Island. Blast around the island which has mountains - its ZheJiang netherless - then there is a road connection to ZheJiang mainland, not sure if its any good for bikes. But sounds good for an weekender with friday night departure by boat...

5. #35 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by andre555 View Post
    Hi guys, as an escaped shanghaier, I must ask, anybody thought about PutuoShan?

There is a night ferry (with sleeping cabins), leaving in the north of Shanghai from the Yangtze Terminal, in the morning 7am you arrive PutouShan Island. ...
    Sounds great. Less hassle than shipping our bikes by train. I will definitely look into it. Many thanks.

6. #36 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    Wow now that sounds interesting, thanks Andre! Milton, i'd love to hear your findings! Could be cool, boat friday night, then two days to ride back to shangers. Sounds like a good weekend!

Edit: Damn the maps show the land connection to zhejiang to be all highway. Of course. There are ferries but i don't know how long they take...

Edit 2: According to googlemaps the ferry takes an hour.

7. #37 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I've just read this thread (again) and note that Zhejiang has been mentioned and I meant to reply before now (so apologies for those that asked me to chime in here). Couldn't agree more that there is some pretty spectacular rides down here as far as China goes. There are just too many routes for me to even begin... so when I have a minute I will attempt to write some of my favourite ones down with some GPS co-ordinates, and perhaps throw some of them up onto goggle maps too. About PuTuoShan, forget it guys, it's one of the busier of the islands here, tourist orientated, and there is a charge for everything - access onto the island itself, charges for each and every attraction, every temple and so on, and private vehicles are discouraged. They have buses and private vans with drivers, and even one has to pay for taking a bicycle. It's been ages since I have been there, so while it may have changed, I doubt private vehicle access would be encouraged.
    Incidently, the ZhouShan bridge is part of the expressway network, so bikes are banned. I just came back on a ferry yesterday (1hr 10 mins) from there having been to TaoHuaDao over the weekend (the ferry from BeiLun - TaoHuaDao is direct (1hr 20mins but runs 2-3 times per day depending on traffic flows).

To get to ZhaoShan bikes go via ferry at BaiFeng (near BeiLun) 1hr 10min each way cost is about 30-40 kuai for a bike plus rider, there are multiple sailing per day to from ZhaoShan. One can also then ride down to ShenJaiMen fishing port to catch a passenger ferry to TaoHuaDao (11kuai for a passenger then pay on ferry for bike) where bikes are loaded ridden onto the stern via a ramp. This is a longer and more expensive option but there are more ferries this way and run later in the day.
    To get to TaoHuaDao direct bikes can go via vehicle ferry from XinQiTou (near BeiLun). Ferries this route run, around 8am, 11am & 4pm weather and traffic volume dependent (one needs to confirm on day of sailing).

ZhaoShan is also too touristy, with loads of traffic having easy access across with the bridge. The far west side of ZhouShan is another island ZhuJiaJianZhen connected by bridge (accessible by all traffic) that is less congested, and there are some interesting rides over near the western side of this small island. TaoHuaDao though is better which is why we go so often, also has a large sandy beach which is free (well at least it is for us lot when we go there -but we've gotten to know the guys that run it). If any of you northern riders want to do a weekend down this way, a few of us would only be too happy to be hosts for ya's.

8. #38 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    Update :

I wrote in this thread that I would go back to Moganshan by the national roads (no expressways), but this time 2-up, and I finally did last weekend.
    We took the G318 from Shanghai to Huzhou, then the G104 to Moganshan. Exactly 202km from my home to our hotel in Moganshan.

So my comments :
    - 5 hours to do the trip, with a 150cc bike. This includes taking breaks more often than when you're doing it solo, I'd say every 75kms on average.
    - what kills the average speed is mainly the traffic lights and the traffic, around Shanghai and Huzhou. What doesn't help is the hundredths of people and animals wanting to commit suicide by jumping under your wheels. Special mention to the "crazy towns" along the G318, especially Nanxun, where everyone and their mother is crossing the national road without even looking at what's coming...
    - you need to stay calm when all this happens, and to remind your lovely passenger that moving a lot to give them the finger or show them your anger is not helping the balance of the bike. ;-))
    - sudden heavy thunderstorm rains suck.
    - Scala Rider intercom do not suck. At all. ;-)
    - Top speed 2-up with heavy saddlebags : 80km/h.
    - Cruising speed on the national roads when nobody want to jump in front of you : 70 to 75 km/h

But yes, it was really worth it, a weekend in Moganshan is a great way to escape Shanghai. And the roads around Moganshan are sooooo great to ride !

9. #39 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    An official version of the traffic law at: http://www.mps.gov.cn/n16/n1282/n349...78/493316.html
    Chapter 5 regulates driving on the expressway. It is clearly stated that motorcycle has a speed limit of 80 kmph and is not allowed to have pillion. Obviously this implies that motorcycles have as much right to be on the expressway as any passenger cars.
    This is brilliant. I have printed a copy, and put it in my MC jacket. This is going to be fun.

10. #40 Re: Best scenic road, the closest possible from Shanghai ? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wittrup Sport View Post
    This is brilliant. I have printed a copy, and put it in my MC jacket. This is going to be fun.
    It will likely only get you so far. Lots of discussion about this bit of legal speak on a number of threads on MCM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast