Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 250cc Street Legal Outlaw Chopper 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey everyone. My name is John and I bought a 70cc dirt bike for my kid this week for his bday today. I had no clue that 3/4 scale bikes where available and I have talked about a moped for years and just couldn't get over the dork factor of the moped . Since my main car is a Tohoe (13mpg at best) and I have a 4 mile drive to work the gas saving just seem to make sense to me. Started doing some research this week and wham here I am. Thanks for all the good info on this site too!

And here it is......

cp_df250cha.jpg

http://www.extremescooters.biz/250cc...w-chopper.aspx

I've looked high and low for information about this ride on the internet. Even see in the big thread where a guy bought one and never said a word about it again. Guess that's good since people love to complain and never say anything when things go good. So here goes I just pulled the trigger on it and I'll let everyone know how it goes. Best info I got about it was from extreme scooters, they said they had one returned and it was damaged in shipping by a forklift. They never heard back from anyone else that has bought this item. Everyone else said the same thing, no one ever complains about it and they sell a ton of them? Not sure if I buy that since there is so little info on the internet about them. But here we go:

Contacted extremescooters.biz via online chat. (found about that site here and want to go with a midwest seller over one on the coast.) Asked if they would match others price of $1999 delivered on the bike. Also confirmed that it is liscensable in Missouri which they confirmed. After sometime and verifing that others offer it at that price they agreed to match it complaining that there is only $75 profit at that price. They gave me a coupon code for $200 off to match the price and an ordering I went.

Order completed and confirmed and paid via credit card. Will keep everyone posted on how the process goes and give a full review once i get it up and running and plated.

Any suggestions on where to get insurance?

Wish me luck

2. #2 Re: 250cc Street Legal Outlaw Chopper 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Interesting indeed, though as is the usual practice, pictures and photoshop are the best friends of the locals aside from influential people in connected positions. They sell by the tonne, though you can't find any info and reviews tells me rule number 3 is in play most likely... anyone can claim anything they want in any colour and flavour one wishes for all delivered in the convenience of your own home, office, cubicle, internet cafe desk-share, in other words the internet is the great information highway full of bogus and bogans (an Australian slang term).
    You asked for luck, so I'm sending you a virtual bucket load, with a set of steak knives thrown in for no extra cost.
    Absolutely curious to how this pans out for you

3. #3 Re: 250cc Street Legal Outlaw Chopper 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Day 3 Saturday

The web site claims "sameday or next day shipping".......

Well no tracking number yet... But not to big of a surprise since yesterday was Friday and it is Spring.

4. #4 Re: 250cc Street Legal Outlaw Chopper 
    C-Moto Noob
    hope ou can get what you need.

5. #5 Re: 250cc Street Legal Outlaw Chopper 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Day 5

Dealer responded to my emails on ship date said
    Importer is shipping a 1000 units a day and slow to enter tracking numbers. Gonna try and manually get it and email it to me.

6. #6 Re: 250cc Street Legal Outlaw Chopper 
    They claim that Dongfang motorcycle cannot be registered in Pennsylvania, but all that is required in Pennsylvanian is a MCO/MSO and a VIN that is traceable.
    http://www.padmv.org/pacarregistrationkit.html

The Ningbo Dongfang Lingyun Vehicle Made Co., Ltd. has a WMI of LXD but they do not have a file for tracing the VIN number with the NHSTA.

Technically all of the Dongfang motorcycle are not legal to register in the USA. None of them are legal all of them are being imported in violation of federal laws.

Every state that allows them to be registered is in violation of federal law.

All that Dongfang has to do is submit a VIN decoding document to the NHSTA and they have not.

The vehicles are listed as EPA conforming….but the way to identify them is by a VIN number, in the VIN is coded information, the engine type make, model etcetera.

They are also required by federal law to define a course of action in the event of a recall, responsible manufactures code the VIN with series numbers so that if one production run has a fault that can be life threatening they can be identified and then registered owners notified of that defect.

Below is the link to the NHSTA and the file for Dongfang

http://204.68.195.151/cars/rules/manufacture/
    enter LXD into field for WMI.

The Rhon (CCW) motorcycles are all within federal regulations
    http://204.68.195.151/cars/rules/manufacture/
    enter L4Y into field for WMI

(see the link for ORG6369) it is the required document.
    ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/mfrmail/ORG6369.pdf

All states that title and register motorcycle outside of federal regulations will allow the motorcycle to be registered. However those states are all in violation of federal laws.

7. #7 Re: 250cc Street Legal Outlaw Chopper 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I found some good info finally. Guy says he has had it a year and is in good shape still. He has last years model but very similiar in style and design. Most of the changes are improvements from what i can see.

Still no tracking number

8. #8 Re: 250cc Street Legal Outlaw Chopper 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Shipment Comments and Updates

05/17 Freight picked up from shipper location
    05/23 Projected Delivery Date of 5/23/2011
    05/18 Trailer Closed - ready for dispatch
    05/18 Trailer dispatched to terminal

YAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

9. #9 Re: 250cc Street Legal Outlaw Chopper 
    congrats, and good luck with it. remember pictures lots and lots of pictures
    Gardo northern NJ/NYC
    CCW tha Heist tha Widow
    CCW tha Misfit (tha Wraith)
    50 State legal and Worldwide
    CCW Heist Riders

10. #10 Re: 250cc Street Legal Outlaw Chopper 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Yes, congrats on your new purchase!

I've only ever seen one of these "in the wild" in Beijing. It went past me on the street & I initially thought it was a chopped Harley (seeing more and more of those around town). I caught up to it at a traffic light and had a better look. Quite decent looking, but it is somewhat smaller than a full-size mammoth Harley. Nevertheless, it is a cool bike that will undoubtedly be a LOT of fun.

Hope it arrives soon.

BTW, tx for the videos - made me homesick for Canada (no traffic ... just a few moose, now and then!)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast