Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Stolen scooter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Stolen scooter 
    I'm using a new 2 month and a week old electric scooter with 909 km on the speedo park in front of my apartment at pingod chaoyang with security guards and gate with very strict no key no entry f### bs.. I just come from chaoyang hospital as I'm having fever then go home after 2 hours my wife ask me to buy fruits for her even I'm sick then I can't find the god damn scooter.... I suspect the van with open doors just also in front of my apartment security guards are f###### useless. The van is movers of families which is my new neighbor.... I have the plate number of the van and have given it to the police.... Hope to hear from them soon. ,.... If any of you so a white van moving a bikebplease call the police!!!!!

2. #2 Re: Stolen scooter 
    C-Moto Noob
    i am sorry to hear that ,but it is a commen thing ,just be carful next time /

3. #3 Re: Stolen scooter 
    C-Moto Regular
    Unfortunately it happened to me also with a gas scooter. This was in the fall of 2008, and the scooter was parked right outside my front door, inside a gated compound. It was locked also. I suspected a bao an was involved, and this was proved later on when I got a new scooter and put an alarm on it. Using the scientific method, I parked it in the same place as before, at the same time as before. Sure enough, I was in my room and the alarm went off and I saw a bao an running away from the bike.

Later on I rented an underground storage space for the scooter and just parked it there, including with the locks. More effort to park it further away, but it was more secure that way.

4. #4 Re: Stolen scooter 
    C-Moto Guru
    I've been parking my bike outside the main gate at work lately cuz there are some lovely trees there that provide some much needed shade. On Wednesday a couple of my colleagues (who go out regularly for cigarettes) scared away some dubious characters that were sitting on it. They just started walking towards them with their cell phones out taking pictures. Apparently the would-be-thieves ran back to their own car and took off.
    Sure enough, when I checked the bike out later that day I found that they'd been trying to take off the side panels to get at the battery. I now bring it inside the main gate.

5. #5 Re: Stolen scooter 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I have no first-hand evidence, but it's said that there are rings of thieves here in Shanghai who target valuable bikes in the field, then follow the rider to find out where the bike lives. then they can plot their strategy for nicking it. it's also said that some of these thieves, operating out of scooterville in Jiaoji Lu, will steal bikes to order.

Needless to say, exotic bikes are high-value targets, and countermeasures are essential. But at the other end of the spectrum, commodity ebikes in good condition are almost guaranteed to get stolen because they are outside the VIN registration system and can be easily resold without any risk of being traced.

I'm assuming this is pretty much universal across China. Pretty sad. TIC.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: Stolen scooter 
    C-Moto Noob
    I had a different experience with my first scooter. I was on my way to get some grub (around 9-10 P.M.), when a motorcycle with 4 chinese guys cut and stopped in front of me. I braked hard to stop and as soon as I stopped, there was 2 other guys already holding me by the shoulders. The other 3 guys came down and surrounded me, one pulled out a knife about 1.5' long and pointed at my chest. The knife was only sharp on one side so I grabbed it on the other side, forced it aside and tackled the one holding the knife which created an opening in their circle that allowed me to run away. The robbers might have been taken by surprise by my actions and didn't run after me until I was about a few meters away. They even used my own scoot to go after me. I ran toward the nearest police station when they saw that I was almost there they gave up and went another way. I reported it the incident to the police and they took me for a ride around town to try and find the culprits (which I know was all for show) so after a few minutes of riding around getting nowhere I told them to just drop me off and I took a taxi home. There was quite a number of people that saw this happen and none of them lifted a finger to help, there was even a policeman on a motorcycle about 20 meters away.

7. #7 Re: Stolen scooter 
    sorry about that graphs, this thing looks like it was planed beforehand. maybe need some practice, maybe they target you only and not your scooter or you may be at the wrong place at the wrong time, your lucky you went through it unhurt . which part of china this thing happened?

8. #8 Re: Stolen scooter 
    C-Moto Noob
    This happened in Shenzhen.

9. #9 Re: Stolen scooter 
    Hello, and sorry to hear of your dilema, I am told that a lot of the chinese are envious of the foreign man as they are very rich (so i a to believe), it is also said if they like your bike they also watch you to see where you park it, s i park mine in the underground carpark if possible , or secure security gate where there is a visible security man, and also pay him a little extra to do so, much cheaper than losing the bike and having to replace everything, like fitted lock ,plates, alarm, and such.
    Here is another question, an important one at that ( if anyone knows) If you overcome your assailent and beat him up because he drew a knife or other kind of weapon, and you win this fight , then what happens if the police are involved ? is it self defence if you beat the crap out of a would be theif, an interesting thought

10. #10 Re: Stolen scooter 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I am sorry to heard about a your scooter was stolen, i feel very bad for your scooter, i think its a fault of security guards they should have to take attention on duty, i hope that your scooter should get back to you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast