Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Help my choose a China-bike in Australia! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Japonly,

Thanks for taking the time to express your views in MCM.

I think if you spend much time in these threads you'd find that the vast majority of us who own, ride and wrench China bikes are pretty much in full agreement with you. Those of us who live in China have little choice in the matter because import duties and other restrictions make imported bikes almost impossibly expensive to own; we own China bikes because they are what are available. Those of us who live outside China and still buy these bikes do so for various reasons, but price is a big factor, along with perhaps a sense of pioneering or adventure. Those who bought Chinese thinking they were getting a "great deal" are actually few and far between, or have long since thrown in the towel.

Anyone who has done their homework by reading about any particular China bike here in MCM will have heard many honest and sometimes brutal assessments of the bikes' shortcomings, as well as, in some cases, their improvements over time.

Some of us dedicate a lot of effort to working with China's manufacturers to improve quality and service, but it's a long and thankless task that we do more out of necessity than choice. I'd rather ride my Jialing than not ride at all. It would not be my first choice of bike if I were living outside of China.

Bottom line: China bikes are a fact of life in most of the world now, including Australia. The same could be said for China's role in the Australian economy, for better or worse. You clearly are finding a way to deal with these facts, and your expert comments are appreciated.

Best thanks, and warmest regards!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #22 Re: Help my choose a China-bike in Australia! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennon View Post
    that is the most long winded rant iv ever reade but the simple fact is you pay little cash you get little back its how things are in life you want quality you have to fork out for it i would of gotten a Sinnis apache supermoto if i hadnt got my spanish bike for a very good deal, most people only buy chinese built bikes for a year then have there full license done so there is the markety for cheap bikes, you want rubbish you pay under £1000 you want something that will last 2 years + you have to pay more for it
    Rant really? Like so many Chinese bike buyers you seem to have only commented on the price factor (only one of the important points I raised) Surely Safety should be the major concern when hitting our roads? I thought I made myself quite clear that my intention was purely an attempt to open peoples eyes to the reality of buying cheap Chinese motorcycles, and to make them a little more aware of the regular oversights of naive buyers. I could have taken your approach and just said "cheap=crap" and you have to pay for real quality, however I thought most intelligent readers would appreciate a little "real world" information from industry experience to back-up the claim. Remember my sharing of information was in reply to the threads request, of course buyers make their own choice when spending their hard-earned money, but surely being armed with more info first is a good thing? If you think my post is long you should see our list of disappointed customers who wish they had known what they were really buying before finding out the hard way! I stopped short of saying don't buy one, and merely said do it with your eyes open and with realistic expectations!!

3. #23 Re: Help my choose a China-bike in Australia! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Japonly,

Thanks for taking the time to express your views in MCM.

I think if you spend much time in these threads you'd find that the vast majority of us who own, ride and wrench China bikes are pretty much in full agreement with you. Those of us who live in China have little choice in the matter because import duties and other restrictions make imported bikes almost impossibly expensive to own; we own China bikes because they are what are available. Those of us who live outside China and still buy these bikes do so for various reasons, but price is a big factor, along with perhaps a sense of pioneering or adventure. Those who bought Chinese thinking they were getting a "great deal" are actually few and far between, or have long since thrown in the towel.

Anyone who has done their homework by reading about any particular China bike here in MCM will have heard many honest and sometimes brutal assessments of the bikes' shortcomings, as well as, in some cases, their improvements over time.

Some of us dedicate a lot of effort to working with China's manufacturers to improve quality and service, but it's a long and thankless task that we do more out of necessity than choice. I'd rather ride my Jialing than not ride at all. It would not be my first choice of bike if I were living outside of China.

Bottom line: China bikes are a fact of life in most of the world now, including Australia. The same could be said for China's role in the Australian economy, for better or worse. You clearly are finding a way to deal with these facts, and your expert comments are appreciated.

Best thanks, and warmest regards!
    Thank you for understanding both sides of this debate, of course I accept that Chinese bikes are here to stay and they are improving even if at what seems a snails pace. I have tried to work with our local distributor for a brand we did sell for a while however trying to get those guys to appreciate and understand our concerns is near impossible, as they have a totaly different motivation and grasp of what should be before it's put on sale in our market. They want their retailers to correct the factories shortcomings as they have no technical understanding or appreciation themselves. A Chinese brand along side a Japanese brand is a major gamble of your dealerships reputation and the daily issues encountered cause no end of stress for the staff and technicians also who can't help but ask why are we envolved with these lesser bikes. For me the real worry is the safety concers I have for the rider, as I see shocking assembly and poor materials which would not be allowed or accepted if the bikes were built anywhere else.

4. #24 Re: Help my choose a China-bike in Australia! 
    im not a chinese bike buyer though, im on this forum because i have dual nationality for the UK and hong kong, i have a spanish built bike Rieju marathon Pro supermoto with a yamaha engine in the cheaper version they use a chinese built zongshen 125 engine which they deem good enough to put into a european product, i dont know what its like in australia but dealer support even on chinese bikes is very good even better than a aprilia dealership down the road most even come with 2 years warranty for piece of mind now.

some people say having a cheap aka crap bike means you have more fun theres a sense of character and learn how to do things yourself which does also sound like having a 2 stroke bike that requires allot of attention iv owned 2 stroke enduro's so iv been there rebuilding it and seen the bad buildman ship even from new from a japanese bike built in japan there ment to deal with jumps and abuse but still a distinct lack of lock tight on the bolts,

5. #25 Re: Help my choose a China-bike in Australia! 
    C-Moto Senior
    To me motorcycling is about having fun,,,Riding some brand new SuzKawaYamHon costing tonnes of wogger is no fun,neither is spannering an old wreck!!! But buying a Chinese bike (Faults and all) was great fun for ME,,,My bike cost £1299 for a 233cc dirt (Bashan 250 ) just like thousands of others.I thrashed it for 7000 miles over hill and dale and had some great times,sure the cycle part are crap,but it felt safe ,stopped ok,and the engine was a peach!!!!! I really enjoyed the bike and it was value for money...It was so good it was stolen,Dam Scroates!!!!!! As has been said time and time again "you pay for what you get" it worked for me!!!!!just recently I looked at a CF moto jet max,,with a view to buying ,,but at a cost of £2799,,,it did not look value for money so I passed by...Now the CF moto 650 is selling for £4000.I going to take a peek and try to wrangle a test ride,,who knows maybe I will ,maybe I wont,,,,,all the best

6. #26 Re: Help my choose a China-bike in Australia! 
    Quote Originally Posted by japonly! View Post
    Thank you for understanding both sides of this debate, of course I accept that Chinese bikes are here to stay and they are improving even if at what seems a snails pace. I have tried to work with our local distributor for a brand we did sell for a while however trying to get those guys to appreciate and understand our concerns is near impossible, as they have a totaly different motivation and grasp of what should be before it's put on sale in our market. They want their retailers to correct the factories shortcomings as they have no technical understanding or appreciation themselves. A Chinese brand along side a Japanese brand is a major gamble of your dealerships reputation and the daily issues encountered cause no end of stress for the staff and technicians also who can't help but ask why are we envolved with these lesser bikes. For me the real worry is the safety concers I have for the rider, as I see shocking assembly and poor materials which would not be allowed or accepted if the bikes were built anywhere else.
    I thought the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers would never allow a Chinese brand motorcycle to be sold in the same dealership.I've seen Honda pull their brand from my friends shop because he was selling Yamaha as well.They gave him the choice though one or the other.

A reputable motorcycle dealer who is selling Japanese or European motorcycle's must have rocks in their head to take on a Chinese motorcycle brand as well.

Interesting to note how the Australian public is coming to terms with Chinese car manufactures establishing their market in Australia.

7. #27 Re: Help my choose a China-bike in Australia! 
    C-Moto Senior
    I just read this track test on the CF moto 650 by Alan Cartright. He pretty well the top racing bike tester in the UK and has been since Genesis chapter 1..take time to read,,,,all the best http://cyclenews.coverleaf.com/cycle...000&pg=83#pg83

8. #28 Re: Help my choose a China-bike in Australia! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by lipsee View Post
    I just read this track test on the CF moto 650 by Alan Cartright. He pretty well the top racing bike tester in the UK and has been since Genesis chapter 1..take time to read,,,,all the best http://cyclenews.coverleaf.com/cycle...000&pg=83#pg83
    Dear Lipsee,

Amazing post, and an amazing, compelling review. I've repeated this review in the CFMoto 650NK thread.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #29 Re: Help my choose a China-bike in Australia! 
    Changzhou Kawasaki and Kwang Yang engine co., ltd, that is were Kawasaki in china is located?
    Hangzhou and Changzhou are both in the same region.

http://www.khi.co.jp/english/company/pdf/group.pdf

There is obviously some technology sharing going on in Jiangsu province, the above Kawasaki facility manufactures engines and was established in 2009.

I would not be surprised, Kawasaki partnered with KYMCO in that facility and likely struck a deal with CFMOTO…formally I would hope.

10. #30 Re: Help my choose a China-bike in Australia! 
    I think Japonly has risen two other issues, false promises and irresponsible to owners.
    同志仍需努力

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast