Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1. #51 Re: Yunnan, Sichuan, Gansu, Qinhai, XinJiang (YSGQX) Ride 
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    I friggin love boulderland!!! It's about 90kms of the best high altitude crazyness around and probably a lot of fun to backpack

The whole plateau you crossed before getting to Litang was once the ocean floor that uplifted to 4500m and then eventually got covered in glaciers. The glaciers dragged those massive boulders around and put them in all kinds of whacked out places. You were lucky to go through there with such nice weather.

In 2008 a couple from Australia went through that pass and has to spend the night in a snow storm at 4600m before reaching Litang. Snow was so deep, it was over the axles. Can you say sleeping bags and good tent???

Did you see the Rabbit Ear Mountain (TuEr Shan) on that road?

CC
    THAT day Carl, was the highlight ride of the trip. It was magical....I loved the mountain views too but passing the wetlands and the rocks were phenomenal. And I am so happy you explained how the rocks found their homes there....the whole time I was thinking about it but I never suspected it was glaciers...and was going to forward the photos of that area to geologist friends to ask what they thought. So now I don't have to! Although hearing more would be great too.

2. #52 Re: Yunnan, Sichuan, Gansu, Qinhai, XinJiang (YSGQX) Ride 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    Don't leave your travels to Xinjiang to late it is changing fast.My favorite little town population 500k is getting more apartments and factories built by the month taking away farms to provide the land.Don't they know they need the farms to feed the people?
    Oh, so sad. I know.....I will try to do what I can. I need to find a bike first!!! From there, I can work my way toward it.

3. #53 Re: Yunnan, Sichuan, Gansu, Qinhai, XinJiang (YSGQX) Ride 
    Dear Ting Ting, I think you are very brave and have good joss, the bike should have been set up better. I do not agree you needed more riding experience, you got it the quick way but have the good luck which is also an important part of life, as important as mechanical skills. People liked you and helped you, that is what counts.

The flowers in your Chinese thread are the flowers of the potato, they are pretty but poisonous too, as are many things we meet on our journeys.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

4. #54 Re: Yunnan, Sichuan, Gansu, Qinhai, XinJiang (YSGQX) Ride 
    I am unsure of whether these videos can be seen by my China compadres. Possibly not.... : /

Just a quick video riding in Shangrila after spending a day with my friend, Yen Zi. She's riding on the back. More interesting toward the end, I think.

Shorter vid.....such a beautiful ride. This one is a bit uneventful but you can see a bit of the wide, open space. I miss it so much already...

Another short vid..I was actually just testing it to play with the positioning of the camera but had to stop because the camera was starting to fall off the bike. Had to keep it on my head...but I still thought it was a funny angle to see the buildings from below.

ANd last but not least.....my bunny, ZongZi. Named after his favorite food. I had to leave him in Chengdu and feel sad about it. If you know ANYONE that wants a bunny and will take care of it, please let me know. I had to leave him at the hostel but I saw that they aren't taking good care of him. :( Smartest bunny ever.

5. #55 Re: Yunnan, Sichuan, Gansu, Qinhai, XinJiang (YSGQX) Ride 
    Dear meow, removing a photo won't help you with a name like that! I am glad you are well, looking forward to the future and more of your impressive photos'
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

6. #56 Re: Yunnan, Sichuan, Gansu, Qinhai, XinJiang (YSGQX) Ride 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    Dear meow, removing a photo won't help you with a name like that! I am glad you are well, looking forward to the future and more of your impressive photos'
    Kind thanks Jape!!! :)

7. #57 Re: Yunnan, Sichuan, Gansu, Qinhai, XinJiang (YSGQX) Ride 
    C-Moto Regular
    This is an great, great thread - thanks for sharing so much of your adventure and yourself with us. You did 1200 km the way it should be done - meeting people, sharing in their lives and their culture, and savoring the landscape you were riding through. It's really perfect.

It would have been great to have met up on the road somewhere, but based on what I'm reading here, there's a good chance you'll be back!

8. #58 Re: Yunnan, Sichuan, Gansu, Qinhai, XinJiang (YSGQX) Ride 
    Thanks of the report and of the time spent writing your thoughts, was very interesting and enjoyable to read. Freedom experienced by travelling solo with a bike is so very lovely and addicting it can feel it breaks your heart after you lose it, that is the trip ends. At least that's the way it feels for me :) On the other hand they say that a shared joy is the best joy. Who knows xD

I was thinking about buying a D7000 but after reading your report I think my current old DSLR and SLR cameras shall do as long as they work and I should instead do some touring in Finland, the country I love :) That is the highest compliment and praise one can give to a ride report.

By the way I am loving this photo below :D

9. #59 Re: Yunnan, Sichuan, Gansu, Qinhai, XinJiang (YSGQX) Ride 
    Wow MZD, awesome RR with epic pictures, thanks for sharing with us!

I am mulling the plan to do a trip from Chengdu via Qinghai Lake to Dunhuang, then Lanzhou and Xi'an. Would be nice to get some input on your experiences regarding roads (blocks in Northern Sichuan around Aba?), availability of petrol, climate and the likes. MZD, CC and all the others, any input? What do I have to prepare for in respect of high altitudes with my 150cc Jialing. Any changes in carb adjustment reccomended? I heard I should try to get through the northern mountains of Sichuan before Mid-June to avoid the rainy season. Is mid-June still ok?

Would be grateful for any feedback!
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

10. #60 Re: Yunnan, Sichuan, Gansu, Qinhai, XinJiang (YSGQX) Ride 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by fahni View Post
    Wow MZD, awesome RR with epic pictures, thanks for sharing with us!

I am mulling the plan to do a trip from Chengdu via Qinghai Lake to Dunhuang, then Lanzhou and Xi'an. Would be nice to get some input on your experiences regarding roads (blocks in Northern Sichuan around Aba?), availability of petrol, climate and the likes. MZD, CC and all the others, any input? What do I have to prepare for in respect of high altitudes with my 150cc Jialing. Any changes in carb adjustment reccomended? I heard I should try to get through the northern mountains of Sichuan before Mid-June to avoid the rainy season. Is mid-June still ok?

Would be grateful for any feedback!
    Yes there are blocks, but you can go through, i think they are only for locals or for people who want to sneak into Tibet. The most they will ask is your id + registration of your moto.
    Whats the name of that golden thing inside your carburator? You have to get a bigger one, then everything is ok.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast