Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Dongfang

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Dongfang 
    I would not confuse Dongfeng with Dongfang the former is Honda joint venture the later is not.

2. #12 Re: Dongfang 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Amen, brother. Exactly my problem right now with a new Dong Fang 150cc scooter. I have parts all over the garage.

3. #13 Re: Dongfang 
    The importing of motorcycles into the USA is done under or within the context of procedural regulations. These would be referred to as federal regulations, a list more or less of the necessary requirements related to the federal regulation on importing vehicles.

Federal laws are the laws of the nation and every state in the USA must honor them, states cannot discount federal regulations, they can only expand on them.

Each state receives funding from the federal government mainly DOT funds used to maintain public roads the funds are all subject to each state honoring existing federal regulations.

The regulations are related to the EPA, DOT and NHSTA. They are written in the Executive branches, proposed as a bill in the either houses and passed into laws by both congresses and the white house.

They are administered by the federal agencies but enforced at the state level.

The NHSTA regulations require defined agents for foreign manufactures, that would be a legal business entity in the USA that is administering the distribution and sale of the vehicles. They require diligence in tracking and recording consumer sales and also the identification of the OEM of all motorcycles.

Filing and following NHSTA guidelines, impart demonstrates that the import agents have action plans in place in the event that a product may have a life threatening defect, and in that they have to file a recall action plan with the NHSTA.

Getting a vehicle without defects is not too much to ask, in fact in degrees it is actually required by law.

Some states, actually all states have their own laws, they often require licensed dealers and that to ensure products actually are supported in the consumer market. In that also that consumers have a path back to and all related liability of the sale through agency law back to the manufacturer and its legal USA agent.

Many states also have lemon laws and in those problems must be resolved or the consumer is refunded. State laws are for the resident of that state and even companies outside of the state selling into the state are subjected to those laws.

In the event of an accident related to a products defect, states that registered vehicles that are not within federal regulations are in violation of there fiduciary responsibility. They are liable for damages, they and the agents are and also open for penalty for violating federal regulations.

“Ignorantia legis neminem excusa”

4. #14 Re: Dongfang 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    C-Moto Guru,

The CA outfit is where I bought my Chinese - NINGBO DONFANG LINGYUN VEHICLE MADE CO., LTD - DF150STD scooter. They are called Sunny Sports. Their customer service is atrocious. Based on the voices on the other end of the phone, the company is run by a bunch of kids who are quite lacking in customer service skills. Their tech department, however, is very helpful. When I received the scooter, I, like many of you, had no assembly instructions. When I called, they told me, "Well, the Chinese company doesn't send them to us either." After shaking my head, I was able to get the tech guy to send me a few of their videos (youtube) and managed to assemble the bike. Now, I've been trying to resolve another issue with a helmet that I had ordered along with the scooter. It's been two months and still no helmet and no answers to either my email or phone calls. I'm getting ready to contact what ever CA agency regulates these Internet on line outfits. If I don't get any satisfaction there, I'm going to the FTC, who regulates Internet websites who sell goods and products. This is ridiculous. Having said all this, caveat emptor when dealing with these people.

5. #15 Re: Dongfang 
    Deal with the California BBB, or the Calif. attorney general's office, or both. California, unlike Arizona, are very pro-consumer and will put the fear of the law into them. I guarantee, you will get some sort of satisfaction after dealing with the proper authorities.

6. #16 Re: Dongfang 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Culcune,

Thanks for that info. I figured the attorney general's office was the place to start. I don't know how long these goof balls have been in business, but, I'm surprised they still are. They get one more chance and then the heat gets turned up. Thanks again.

7. #17 Re: Dongfang 
    The Dongfang are legal now....
    ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/mfrmail/ORG7330.pdf

They filed a VIN decoding doc.

ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/mfrmail/ORG7331.pdf

8. #18 Re: Dongfang 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    MJH - Thanks for that info. I guess I never knew they were illegal, and, if so, how were they able to do business here in the states? Jeez, it's confusing enough with those peeps over there.

9. #19 Re: Dongfang 

10. #20 Re: Dongfang 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    MJH, yup. My scooter is on the list. Thanks again.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast