Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Started this week ...

http://beijing.auto.sohu.com/20110517/n307643318.shtml

Although it is probably focusing more on cars, it is possible that motorcycles might also be caught in the net.

Basically, the Beijing police are going to go after fake / copied / expired / absent plates. Always an issue with motorcycles, it is becoming more common with cars now that Beijing has the car plate lottery system. When people can't get plates, they get "creative". No surprise there.

The game changer is that the new May 1 Traffic Safety law (the one that changed the drunk driving law) makes it a criminal offense to operate a vehicle with a fake/modified/copied/absent plate. Previously, it was a traffic violation. Now it is 10 to 15 days in jail, a 2,000 rmb fine, an impounding of the vehicle (unregistered vehicles will likely be tough to get back) ... and the nasty consequences of your visa/job with a criminal record.

Well, perhaps like most "campaigns", it may last a few weeks and then be "business as usual".

Hmmmm - I wonder what might happen to the Chongli bike event, in Hebei? There is a police check / road block when one enters Beijing. I guess many riders will be finding obscure mountain trails to get back home!?

2. #2 Re: Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    C-Moto Regular
    Thanks for posting. Can someone run the Chinese article through a translator and do a 'touch-up' job?

I wonder what the difference is (in terms of enforcement) between riding around with no plates as opposed to fake plates.

Also, is this a national law, or city-specific? Generally speaking, enforcement varies from city-to-city anyways.

3. #3 Re: Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
    Thanks for posting. Can someone run the Chinese article through a translator and do a 'touch-up' job?
    Sorry, my Chinese sucks ... someone else?

I picked up this article on the H.O.G. forum, where you have to be a registered Harley owner (i.e., legal bike) to be a member. Therefore, the discussion / comments were rather tilted towards "it is about time".

I wonder what the difference is (in terms of enforcement) between riding around with no plates as opposed to fake plates.
    My guess is it depends on which officer stops you. Tough luck if you get an officer whose daughter was just dumped by a laowai. Good luck if the officer's son just got into an overseas university on a recommendation from a laowai prof.

Although I am not a lawyer, nor a cop, nor do I have any inside policy info, the way I read the situation is that it no longer matters (fake versus none). The expat rumor-mill used to claim that no plate was better than a fake plate, but it seems that either is now a criminal offense.

Also, is this a national law, or city-specific? Generally speaking, enforcement varies from city-to-city anyways.
    National law, but I've only heard about Beijing's campaign. However, if the drunk driving campaign (post May 1 law) is any indication, this plate campaign will be gung ho and probably migrate elsewhere later. Beijing is really going all out re the drunk driving these days.

Be interesting to hear what happens to fellow riders. Can one post from jail?

4. #4 Re: Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I can say that there have been a lot of check points in the past month or so, and I have been stopped at some of them and asked for my license, bike license and or asked to speak into a breath analyser. One of my riding mates asked why I didn't bother to take an alternative route or avoid the check point all together or else do a 'runner' - however since I'm all legal I don't see the need, and it's kind of ok to just have some small banter with the local traffic police, since I might need them one day - which having met one or two previously may work in my favour.

I've just returned from a trip around a couple of mountains as well as a circuit (twice) around Dong Qian Lake, and coming back into town, saw a check point complete with cones, filtering 3 lanes into 1 where half a dozen officers stand at the ready. It's worth noting that some police also are carrying hand held electronic gadgets that they use to check plates on the spot. Saw them use one a few months ago, to run my plates while I was stationary.

Seems they are cracking down for sure. I have noticed there is a lot of reporting on drunk driving cases on Chinese TV channels of late. Today a DUI driver that tail ended a stationary car at some traffic lights, in which 3 of the 4 occupants died, was sentenced today; life imprisonment and CNY 4million payable to the surviving family member from the car that the defendant crashed into. So message as always is 'drink and drive and you're a bloody idiot.'

5. #5 Re: Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Hi, finally they start checking all the morons running no plates / fake plates / stolen bikes + scooters and get them off the road. Ride safe, PAL

Beijing police will be special campaigns involving the illegal license penalties for high-limit
    Source: China News at 08:26 on May 17, 2011
    Municipal Traffic Management Bureau announced yesterday that started today in the city concentrate on improving the motor vehicle licensing law concerning the special action, strike hard not required to install the license plate, block plate, misappropriation license plate and other related offenses. The traffic control department reminded the public that in accordance with the newly revised "Road Traffic Safety Law "stipulates that: of forging, altering or using forged or altered motor vehicle registration, license plate, vehicle license, driving license, at 10 ~ 15 days detention impose a fine of 2,000 yuan; constitute a crime shall be held criminally responsible.

According to reports, the consolidation of motor vehicles including motor vehicles involved in illegal without a license plate on the road, do not follow the installation of license plate, block the plate, the use of expired temporary license plate, diversion plate, install the license holder, the number card lock behavior.

Municipal Traffic Management Bureau said relevant, licensing of motor vehicles involved in illegal activities, the traffic control department will be based on the revised "Road Traffic Safety Law "upper limit strictly the relevant provisions of punishment, especially without a license plate (including the temporary use of expired plate), all vehicles to be detained; on that license plate has been altered, the use of paint graffiti, paste paper or altered (such as number plate in the 1 to 7, F to E) and other records sufficient information on the number plate caused the error to determine the content of the plot, according to "Road Traffic Safety Law "ninety-sixth article, shall be subject to severe punishment.

6. #6 Re: Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    Had a weird experience yesterday (Monday) ...

I'd heard about a MC gear shop in the NW of Beijing, so thought I'd check it out. It is outside the 5th ring road.

Arrived, parked and went inside. Average shop - nothing special.

Came outside & the police are waiting. Asked me for my license, registration, insurance and inspection documents. No problem - I know the routine.

What was weird was that the police had set up a little "check point" next to the shop. I'd parked half a block away because I wasn't sure where the shop was. I guess after they saw me go into the shop they walked over to my bike and waited.

I hung around to watch. Within a couple of smokes & a bottle of water, they'd checked 3 other bikes coming to the shop (appeared to have seized an R9).

My guess - the shop owner p'd someone off. Can't be good for biz having a police check at your front door.

7. #7 Re: Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    So what happens with all these seized motorcycles?

Do they auction them off.

Scrap them.

8. #8 Re: Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    So what happens with all these seized motorcycles?

Do they auction them off.

Scrap them.
    Just saw a little blurb on TV about this, yesterday ...

According to the report, since the campaign began, police have seized 10,700 illegal motorcycles, 7,300 automobiles, and detained 982 people.

It also showed a short video of some 3-wheeled bikes and some cars getting crushed by an excavator, and then being pushed into a pile by a bulldozer.

It was related to that story from earlier this week of the unlicensed 15 year old driving a newish BMW, along with his 18 year old friend in a fake-plated Audi, getting into an argument with a family. I guess the 15 year old and 18 year old beat the crap outta the mother & father over a traffic dispute, hospitalizing the father and injuring the mother, in front of their 5 year old child. Happened in Beijing. And, like the infamous "My father is Li Gang" ... these little bast%rds challenged the onlookers to dare to call the police. Actually, the onlookers did ... and they held the little monsters until the police came.

9. #9 Re: Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    C-Moto Senior
    15 year old driving modded Beemer in BJ, read all about it: http://shanghaiist.com/2011/09/09/15...ary_singer.php

Ride Safe, PAL

10. #10 Re: Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    omg - if an unlicensed 15 year old isn't enough to make you cringe ... how about a 5 year old?

At first, I thought that maybe this little girl is on daddy's lap ... but nope, check out the end of the video when dad gets out of the back seat and appears to be removing the pedal extensions.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast