Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Sorry, but where are the fucking cops when you need them??????? Take those "parents", fry them in blazing tallow, and put that child in foster care NOW!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #12 Re: Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    There's a park next to my house, and I cringe watching the BMW's flying around the corners with their little kids standing up and poking out the sunroof. Wonder how far they fly when daddy hits the brakes?

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #13 Re: Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    C-Moto Senior
    was told the police confiscated some big bikes in Beijing during the last few days, another crackdown before the mid autumn festival / october national holidays?

Ride safe, PAL

************************************************** **************************
    Singer's son is released
    By Li Jinghao | 2011-9-11 | Shanghai Daily

Sep 11, 2011, BEIJING police have released the son of famous Chinese military singer Li Shuangjiang who allegedly assaulted a couple over a road dispute as the 15-year-old boy is exempt from criminal charges because he is still a minor, a Guangdong newspaper reported yesterday.

Li Tianyi was freed after 15 hours in custody and police said the case had been transferred to the traffic police department for further investigation, Xinkuai Newspaper reported.

The souped-up BMW the boy drove was reported to be involved in 32 traffic violations and until the latest accident happened, nobody showed up to shoulder the penalties for those violations, the report said.

According to Beijing police, Li Tianyi and an 18-year-old man surnamed Su were detained on Thursday. The pair had quarreled with a couple outside a residential complex over an accident that injured the couple on Tuesday.

The minimum driving age in China is 18.

Media reports said Su drove an Audi with a license plate number used by government officials in northern Shanxi Province. Su later admitted he faked the plate and lied that he was related to a senior police officer in Shanxi.

Shanxi police later said Su's father is a board chairman of a big company and operates an auto trade company.

Su's Audi was also found to be involved in 36 traffic violations since September 2009, according to the Beijing Times.

The couple accepted the military singer's apology in hospital but said they had hired lawyers and would launch legal proceedings against their attackers.

4. #14 Re: Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    Thanks for the update, Pal. These guys are getting off very easy, and the media are deliberately misreading the law. Yes, criminal law is not normally applicable against minors under 16, but there are plenty of ways to throw the book at them.

Having daddy make an apology and sweeping it under the rug is disgusting. This kid should be in reform school, and the 18-year-old should be charged with assault and battery, serious criminal charges.

Incidentally, the "military singer" father is actually a PLA general. yes, with stars on his epaulets.

They clearly are above the law. TIC.
    jkp
    Shanghai

5. #15 Re: Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    was told the police confiscated some big bikes in Beijing during the last few days, another crackdown before the mid autumn festival / october national holidays?
    Details are sketchy - rumor has it that a large police SWAT team moved in on an assembly of foreign biker-gang-types on Harleys, and confiscated several illegal bikes (I heard 10 motorcycles seized). Happened Saturday.

Doesn't sound like it was part of any normal campaign. Sounds very serious.

But I have only heard rumors, albeit from a reliable source.

6. #16 Re: Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    ...But I have only heard rumors, albeit from a reliable source.
    so much for rumors: http://www.changjiangunlimited.com/Jim4.htm

7. #17 Re: Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    Yeah, that looks a lot like an ambush from someone with a grudge...

8. #18 Re: Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Having daddy make an apology and sweeping it under the rug is disgusting. This kid should be in reform school, and the 18-year-old should be charged with assault and battery, serious criminal charges.
    More details: http://www.chinasmack.com/2011/stori...e-assault.html

Ride safe, PAL

A year in custody for road rage teen
    By Leo Zhang | 2011-9-16 | Shanghai Daily
    Sep 16, 2011

LI Tianyi, son of renowned Chinese military singer Li Shuangjiang, has been sent to a government correctional facility for a one-year confinement for assaulting a couple in a road rage incident.

Li Tianyi, 15, was charged with causing a disturbance, the Beijing Public Security Bureau said yesterday.

Police have also applied for an arrest warrant for Su Nan, 18, on the same charge.

Li Tianyi and Su had been under police detention since they quarreled with the couple and injured them on September 6.

The incident aroused public anger as Li Tianyi was reported to have shouted: "Who dare to call the police?"

The two teenagers, whose cars were forced to stop as the couple's car slowed to turn into a complex, got out and beat them. The husband had to have 11 stitches in a head wound and his wife's forehead was injured.

Media reports said that Li Tianyi's souped-up BMW had 32 unpaid tickets for speeding or other careless driving offenses but Beijing police said yesterday that he had paid all the fines.

Su had earlier claimed he was a relative of a police chief in Shanxi Province, but later admitted he lied. Beijing police said Su's father, Su Wenbin, former chairman of an auto sales company in Shanxi, had been detained for forging a car plate. Police said earlier that the plate on the Audi Su Nan was driving during the incident was fake.

In an apology, the singer, a major general, told the couple: "I didn't give him a good upbringing. I feel sorry. I'd rather you hit me."

9. #19 Re: Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    Latest I heard this morning was that the hothead 15-year-old son-of-a-military-singer was sentenced to a year of youth detention, which I expect will not be a picnic, especially given his special pedigree. The 18-year-old has been formally arrested and is now very likely to do hard time for assault. That too will not be a picnic.

And as for the "fake" plate on the Audi, clearly someone who liked that auspicious number worked the system to get it assigned to two different cars. I say, find those perps and bring them down too.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

10. #20 Re: Beijing "campaign" re license plates 
    Got my first ticket today.
    Not sure if there is a current clamp-down - maybe they have a quota to fill before the end of the year?
    Had previously not seen any road blocks targeted at bikes, nor had I ever been stopped.
    I had thought I was 100% legal, but was handed a ¥200 fine for obstructed number plate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast