Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Lifan LF250-B/Yahmaha Virago 250... 
    I am now stuck on custom versions of existing models……

I see that American Lifan is offering discounts to it dealers on its LF250-B

That made me wonder if anyone is into modifying those, so I Google café racer and Virgo 250 and find some but also found the Yamaha SRV250. I do not believe the SRV250 was ever sold in the USA, it was in NZ though in the 90’s.

Lifan has put the V-twin in Honda VTR frame.

I think that many models can be built around one engine and the SRV frame is a real good home for that engine.
    Last edited by MJH; 07-21-2013 at 05:03 PM.

2. #2 Re: Lifan LF250-B/Yahmaha Virago 250... 
    Unfortunately the Virgo frame curves downward between the tank and the rear wheel.

The SRV has a straight frame from the tank over the rear wheel.

3. #3 Re: Lifan LF250-B/Yahmaha Virago 250... 
    I think this would be an easy modification…

Lifan GS200III

Xinling

Xinling does advertise the bike on its website, all that is needed to modify the Lifan is the headlight and gauges and the cover for the indentation for the tank. Actually only the tank cover, but a set of gauges would be good…if they offered and were compatible with the existing connections on the GS200, that’s the tach, speedometer, fuel gauge and shift indicator, and some mirrors

http://www.cnxinling.com/product.asp?lt=49&Pone=6

Its a very simple thing…If I were American Lifan I would contact Xinling and buy the parts and then offer them as a kit with instruction to make a naked GS200II, they have backlog of the bikes.

4. #4 Re: Lifan LF250-B/Yahmaha Virago 250... 
    This is what American Lifan is attempting to sell…these are 2006-2008 models. For 2009...they at least had enough sense to stop painting the rims the same color as the bike!

But the paint comes off with a wire brush…they are cast aluminum and look fine with the paint removed. The engine is brushed metal on the Lifan and they would match it.

The tank and body panel could be painted easy enough….

5. #5 Re: Lifan LF250-B/Yahmaha Virago 250... 
    I would say that the best versions of Chinese engines are the ones that did not alter the original Japanese designs. That’s because there is plenty of documentation on the Japanese engines.

http://www.cyclepedia.com/yamaha-xv2...ervice-manual/

The FY2V41FMI and the FY244FMI
    May be just that, identical to the Yahmaha V-twin and the Honda parallel twin.

There may be some demand for commuter bikes as fuel prices rise, in that will be some interests in a variety of styles…people that previously had no interest may bring tastes for different? They may not want a cruiser or chopper? They may have varying tastes.

But something familiar brings about confidence, both of the engines have been in production for decades and both are still being offered on models today.

Since the enignes are and have been mass produced in china they should be affordable.

The Yamaha SRV is a prefect bike to fit that category.

6. #6 Re: Lifan LF250-B/Yahmaha Virago 250... 
    The Yamaha Virgo 250 is rated at 21hp and it is a 2-valve per cylinder engine. The Qlink version of that bike is or should be the same, yet they have it rated at 17hp and also they submitted the engine to the EPA as a 4-valve per cylinder engine…it is not and that make me wonder if the data is fudged?

I could go farther and consider claimed emission on both and compare the ratings.

But the carburetor would have to be considered….is there a difference? The claimed ratings are drastically different that 4hp variance represents a very big difference.

I get the information from the EPA, it is what the manufactures submit. I believe they make the data up. I have more faith in the Yamaha data…they stand too much to loose by lying.

It may not be lying or it may, it could be just ineptitude?

7. #7 Re: Lifan LF250-B/Yahmaha Virago 250... 
    Comparing apples to apples, there are not that many exact copies of Japanese engines that are being offered from Chinese manufacturers. The V-250 Yamaha is one and another would be the Honda twin which has 234cc and is rated at 16.4kw @8500 rpm.

The Yamaha is rated at 21.76hp@7500 rpm and the Honda 22hp.

Comparing the Yamaha to the Lifan version the later is submitted to the EPA with only 11kW @8000 rpm, that’s only 14.96hp and very large deficiency compared to the Japanese engine. Lifan hp/Yamaha hp 14.96/21.76 the real Yamaha engine offers 31.25% more power then the Lifan “copy”.

The Honda Rebel copies have not been imported to the US since 2008, there are none listed from that year on and the models listed in 2008 include the Rebel and also the Nighthawk, however the Nighthawk is only rated at 19.6hp @8500rpm under the Rebel that is rated at 22.30hp @8500rpm. Not sure why the Nighthawk has a 12% deficit in power compared to the Rebel but that is what Honda submitted to the EPA in 2008. The other 234cc model offered by Chinese manufacturers range from 10.5kW to 12.5kW or 14.28hp to 17hp.
    The Honda twin copies seem to offer more power then the V-250 copies but still significantly less then the original engine designs.

8. #8 Re: Lifan LF250-B/Yahmaha Virago 250... 
    C-Moto Noob
    Interesting info, thanks!

9. #9 Re: Lifan LF250-B/Yahmaha Virago 250... 
    C-Moto Noob
    hdwannabe-1.jpg
    Here's my friend's virago clone actual dynotest result.
    2V49FMM engine if im not mistaken

10. #10 Re: Lifan LF250-B/Yahmaha Virago 250... 
    Makes sense to me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast