Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: SO SAD AND MAD !!!!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for your advice . Just spoke to dealer and he said once he opens the engine he will tell if it needs a complete new engine or just a head , as he wants to maintain a good reputation and not have any come backs after the bike is fixed . So i guess ill have to wait and see.....

2. #12 Re: SO SAD AND MAD !!!!!! 
    No way that dealer can determine the damage to your engine. I would insist on a new quad. I would not trust that dealer to put a new engine in my vehicle. Tell him to pull one out of his stock and service it properly.

This whole deal is why I want my bike delivered in a crate to me and I will service it myself and save the dealer markup.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

3. #13 Re: SO SAD AND MAD !!!!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    No way that dealer can determine the damage to your engine. I would insist on a new quad. I would not trust that dealer to put a new engine in my vehicle. Tell him to pull one out of his stock and service it properly.

This whole deal is why I want my bike delivered in a crate to me and I will service it myself and save the dealer markup.
    Thats all fine and dandy if you know how,But as for us noobies we all have to start somewhere . The dealer is being very reasonable about it all and has no issue with replacing me with a new quad but as this one is registered to me it make things a little more detailed. i will insist on a complete new engine.Thanks for all your advice its much appreciated and now i know what to say Thanks again

4. #14 Re: SO SAD AND MAD !!!!!! 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I am sure it is a stressful experience.

But here's the deal - some vehicles can travel a great distance without coolant and without incurring any damage. Some will die within a few kms. Two identical vehicles - two completely different scenarios. I watched a TV show once about a controlled track test of this. There are far too many variables to be able to predict what will happen.

It sounds like, in your case, the head may not have been properly torqued during factory assembly. The engine compression and/or water pressure and/or oil pressure could have caused the gasket to fail. Hopefully, it just failed at a water channel, and there was no cross failure (water -> oil; water -> cylinder). When the head is removed, the mechanic will be able to see what happened.

If it was a minor failure (and only water), it won't be a problem. It may have failed in the last 10 kms, who knows? When the quad cools down, the "leak" seems larger because the engine head & block have contracted in size. A gasket is always under greatest stress on a just-started, not-warmed-up engine.

At this point, I'd work with the dealer - give him a chance.

By the way, gasket failure is surprisingly common on new bikes. National Geographic did a great show on the Harley V-Rod manufacturing process. The V-Rod and CSO factories have created special testing stations for this very purpose, and a surprising number of newly assembled engines fail & are rebuilt.

5. #15 Re: SO SAD AND MAD !!!!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey Lao Jia Hou Thanks for your words of support , yes it was very stressful especially when i have been soooo looking forward to my new bike and the wait was over i had it i was driving it and then it seems like its just over !!!
    But as i said earlier the dealer is doing all he can to fix this issue and i have to work with him . it could have been worse there are stories over here that once the bike has been sold to you you cant even contact the dealer and they switch off their phones and your on your own < no parts, no service, no help , so i am happy i have a dealer that is there with after sales help so i know this will be fixed .
    I thank you for your words they are very helpful and needed when you are new to biking there are lessons to be learned and i guess this one was the hard way but i can guarantee it never happening again !!!!!!!!!

Take it easy dude hope to chat soon
    Last edited by Jinlingking; 05-25-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12