Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Fixing Honda Dio - Beijing 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello, I have a Honda Dio that I have had for about 1 year, bought used. It has been great until recently.

It takes about 15-20 minutes to get it to start, and it frequently stalls, especially going up hills. Once it warms up I can start it reliably, but with full throttle the power fluctuates constantly... full power and then I lose almost all power, and it cycles back and forth like this. Backfires occasionally, but not that loud.

I changed the spark plug about 2 weeks ago and helped immensely, however, the problem has returned.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone have an idea of the problem?
    2. Does anyone know a reliable place to go that has experience with 2 stroke engines, preferably Honda Dio engines?

Thanks

Jason

2. #2 Re: Fixing Honda Dio - Beijing 
    go to Jim`s Shop, (jimbosidecars), Tianbei Lu, Shunyi.
    Sabine

3. #3 Re: Fixing Honda Dio - Beijing 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by SabineHartmann View Post
    go to Jim`s Shop, (jimbosidecars), Tianbei Lu, Shunyi.
    Sabine
    Thanks... I didn't realize that they would repair vehicles other than sidecars... I don't live in Shunyi (Lido actually) so it would be a bit of a trip to get there. Do you have any other suggestions in the Lido area?

Jason

4. #4 Re: Fixing Honda Dio - Beijing 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Hi Jason

I guess the Yamaha guy didn't work out? When I owned that Dio, I had it done at Qili Motors in South Beijing (far away).

I had a thought - Mr Yu's lovely wife rides a couple of scooters. He/she might know a good, nearby repair shop, as they are well-connected in the MC biz. Their shop sells MC clothing & accessories.

Mr Yu's shop is just south of you, on Yaojiayuan Lu. Chinese language only.

I've heard that the FLH mechanic is pretty good, also. They sell scooters & I`ve seen all shapes & sizes sitting outside its service doors.

Finding FLH:

Coming from Harley dealer. Head East about 200 meters, turn right at T-junction and then immediately turn left. In about 100 meters, on your right, you will see a driveway with a double door gate - turn into the driveway and FLH is about 50 meters down on your right.

Finding Mr Yu's shop.

Coming from Harley dealer. Head East about 200 meters, turn right at T-junction and then keep going straight for about 2 kms. You'll come to a large intersection (Yaojiayuan Lu). Turn left.

Immediately get over to the right lane. A few meters past the pedestrian-controlled crosswalk traffic light, turn right into the shopping centre driveway. The driveway will force you to turn left (parallel to the main road, heading East). Go past the main building & parking lot, between two low-rise buildings. Mr Yu's shop is on the left, about 3/4 of the way down. You'll probably see scooters/MCs parked out front.

Cheers
    Richard

5. #5 Re: Fixing Honda Dio - Beijing 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks Richard,

Do you think it might be worthwhile taking it to Qili Motors as you have had it serviced there before? I don't mind riding it down there. It probably would make it once the engine has warmed up a bit :)

Do you happen to have a map showing it's location? I wasn't able to locate it using Google maps.

Thanks again,

Jason

6. #6 Re: Fixing Honda Dio - Beijing 
    C-Moto Noob
    Not to worry about the map... I found it here: http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ll=1#post21693

But I would appreciate your thoughts on taking it to Qili Motors instead of one of the local shops. I want to make sure they actually fix the problem as opposed to just swapping out the plug again. I can do that myself :) The language barrier makes it difficult to explain as by the time I get to the shop the bike runs better. The real problem is when it is cold and won't start.

Thanks!

7. #7 Re: Fixing Honda Dio - Beijing 
    Sounds like a carburettor problem, off hand, if you have already checked choke operation is still ok, not stretched/bent etc.
    Probably just pilot(slow) jet blockage, so maybe try some carb cleaner through it before you spend much money. This often happens with old fuel going off, gunk in carby. If you can disassemble competently yourself, soak it all and blow it through gently, drain out fuel tank, flush and refill with good, strained fuel or you will get the same happen again. Inline fuel filters are handy against bad fuel if there is room to fit one but mainly this happens when fuel has sat or some rust has got into carby.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

8. #8 Re: Fixing Honda Dio - Beijing 
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonaedwards View Post
    Do you think it might be worthwhile taking it to Qili Motors as you have had it serviced there before? I don't mind riding it down there. It probably would make it once the engine has warmed up a bit :)
    Qili servicing has been hit & miss recently. It has become quite successful and therefore somewhat arrogant. It seems to only want to work on new bikes, recently purchased from it. And it is definitely 100% Chinese language only.

I've got to service my Honda 125's brakes soon in prep for selling it, so I'll begin by prowling around your neighbourhood. I'll ask FLH, Jialing, Yamaha, etc. if they will touch my 125 and also if a Dio can be done. I expect some brush-offs with my Honda 125 because it is "a farmer's bike" ... a lot of shops think it is below them to work on these aged workhorses like the Dio & 125s.

If I completely strike out, maybe next week we can both head to Qili? Our new Yamaha YBR125 was purchased from Qili & already needs work, and probably could sneak your Dio in with it.

9. #9 Re: Fixing Honda Dio - Beijing 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Qili servicing has been hit & miss recently. It has become quite successful and therefore somewhat arrogant. It seems to only want to work on new bikes, recently purchased from it. And it is definitely 100% Chinese language only.

I've got to service my Honda 125's brakes soon in prep for selling it, so I'll begin by prowling around your neighbourhood. I'll ask FLH, Jialing, Yamaha, etc. if they will touch my 125 and also if a Dio can be done. I expect some brush-offs with my Honda 125 because it is "a farmer's bike" ... a lot of shops think it is below them to work on these aged workhorses like the Dio & 125s.

If I completely strike out, maybe next week we can both head to Qili? Our new Yamaha YBR125 was purchased from Qili & already needs work, and probably could sneak your Dio in with it.
    That would be fantastic Richard, thanks! I am actually leaving for the summer on June 15th (returning in August), but if you have any luck finding someone in Lido, I would be very grateful. If not, I should be able to find some time to head down to Qili with you.

Thanks again!

Jason

10. #10 Re: Fixing Honda Dio - Beijing 
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonaedwards View Post
    ... if you have any luck finding someone in Lido
    I sent you a PM via The Beijinger about a Lido guy. Close to your home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast