Zongshen RX-3 - Zongshen TT250 - Ural GearUp Hack - Honda CT110
    Ural M70 Retro Solo - BMW R100R - Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    http://dansmotorcycleblog.blogspot.com/

2. #12 Re: Beijing - The Final Ride 
    Quote Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post
    Come on Andy, we're salivating. . .

Dan K.
    Finally comes the trip report, sorry to keep you waiting

As usual we left early, 6:00 am to be precise. We headed out of town via Jingcheng expressway and turned off at exit 15 to join and follow National Road G111 North, up into the mountains. It was about an hour into the ride when a crazy driving truck had to be overtaken. I managed to do it while Robert had to follow the idiot a little longer and, caused by this, took a wrong turn. I stopped as soon as I didn't see him in my mirros after a short while and called him, but his phone was off. The road there is a split highway, so turning back wasn't an option. Some minutes later, I tried to call him again and got him on the line this time. A couple of minutes later we were united and continued for another 20kms to stop at a nice rest area to have brekkie.

After filling our stomach we moved on and got off G111 at Tanghekou. We followed S309 West for a km or so and then turned North on a small country road. After 40kms on this one, we started to take photos.
    It was a bright day and the lush green built a great contrast with the blue sky.

Contrast

We came trough a village which was aboubt to be taken down. It seemed that this was a planned and pretty well coordinated action as stuff was orderly piled up roadside. Not far after that we rolled into a brand new village, which obviosly was where the other one was moved to.

Village removal

New village

We were steadily climbing ever since we left Beiing and had reached well over 1000m when we crossed a small pass, which brought us into Hebei and trough a tidy little village.

Down the pass into Hebei

More turns

Village

We reached a bigger road which we followed to the North and found a nice place for another break.
    I spotted something what appeared to be mining activity on the side of the valley and we thought that they found some precious stuff there and would certainly ruin that really nice area.

Nice spot at a creek

Mining

After the riders had been refilled, we continued to follow the road and to cross another pass, with great views to the valley below. The way up the pass is on black top, they way down is a narrow dirt road.

Riding

View

View

View

The road up ...

... and the way down

As we came down the other side we spotted similar mining sites and after seeing a brand new concrete mixing facility it suddenly became clear - a new expressway is under construction, again in the middle of nowhere. I checked the map and found that this must be part of the motorway from Zhangjiakou to Chengde. The area is mountainous and the road has to cross dozens of valleys and mountains, so the road is like tunnel, bridge, tunnel, bridge, ... and must cost a fortune - need economic growth?

Construction site sign

Tunnel site

Concrete mixing plant

A bit disappointed that the expressway construction will cause a lot of damage to the environment in this area, we moved on, slowly approaching the highlite of the trip, a narrow 25km long valley, which we named paradise valley some years ago. The small shops and kitchens at the turn off towards the valley were abandonedand and repalced by a dining mall some hundred meters up the road. We were relived to find the valley not affected by the closeby construction and other "improvements" seen elsewhere recently.
    I've been there three times so far, but never had conditions as perfect. Enough words about lil paradise, enjoy some pics without comment.

Half way into paradise we stopped to have lunch. The place we spotted was really fine and would be a perfect campsite. We were undisturbed for a good hour with only two cars passing by. Again, some un-commented pictures from that perfect spot.

We continued through the valley after our lunch stop and eventually reached National road G112, which we rode Southwest, across a pass and trough some villages. To avoid the Hebei - Beijing checkpoint, we decided to ride on more charming and much smaller roads back into capital territory.

At a small lake we stopped and decided this to be the last stop before beer. We continued through a nice valley on a perfect road when I really let it fly. I lost Robert but stopped at the intersection at the end of this stretch to wait for him. As he didn't show up after a short while, I called him with no success. So I decided to head back with a bad feeling in my stomach. I reached the spot of our final stop but there was no sign of Robert. I called him again and got him on the phone this time - had taken a wrong turn again. So we dicided to meet at the pub with me having the nice 20kms under the wheels one more time

We met for beer a while later and celebrated our last China riding day together

Safe to everybody
    Andy

3. #13 Re: Beijing - The Final Ride 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Andy,

Goodness, paradise! There's something really melancholy about reading this report, knowing as we all do that it represents the end of an era: We'll call it The Chinabiker Dynasty. I'm glad to read in MCM recently that you'll be visiting Beijing next month, as this means you've not pulled yourself up entirely by the roots. If only all of us could be so lucky as to ride even half of the insanely amazing routes you pioneered in the mountains around Beijing!

I'm hoping that Austria is treating you well. Thanks for a deeply satisfying final Beijing ride report!

一磕头
    二磕头
    三磕头

Please stay in touch!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #14 Re: Beijing - The Final Ride 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    ... Your baby, who barely knows anything but Chinese concrete, will lose traction on those gorgeous Alpine switchbacks. The pure Austrian petrol will immediately saturate your hoses and cause extremely dangerous odors
    The Austrian petrol made her more powerful than ever before and she loved the tarmac here

Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    WTF!?!?

Didn't see this one coming.

Now who am I going to tease about riding a BMW?

And I didn't get the chance to challenge you to a feet-up ride through the 1 kph compound. My JH600 would win for sure! (well, maybe my JH600B)

Beijing's riding community is losing an incredible resource who was always willing to help out any rider. A genuine loss for us. Seriously.

Good luck with your new ventures and ride safe. Enjoy the land of reasonable and sane drivers, comparatively.
    LJH, there are plenty of other BMW riders around town - catch them on the JH - if you can
    I'll let you know when I'm in for a visit and to take on the 1kph feet up challenge

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjpyle View Post
    Andy,

I'm sorry to hear that your China riding days are coming to an end. You're shared knowledge and information on this blog and elsewhere have been fantastic. On top of that, I want to thank you again for assisting me while on my MKRIDE last year. Your clutch delivery was crucial to getting me back on the road again. I can't thank you enough. Safe travels and keep the rubber down.

Ryan
    You are welcome Ryan. It was a pleasure to be a tiny piece in your successful ride. Looking forward to your publishing, please keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    Sorry to see you go but I think China is in your blood and the pull will be to strong.

Who am I now going to argue with about bloody GS riders?

You will have to come back and ride Xinjiang and maybe that other place we can't mention starting with T.
    I may be back for a ride in the places you mentioned - with a bloody GS

Quote Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post
    Andy,

I'm glad I got the chance to meet you and your wife, and I really appreciate the time you spent trying to help me out in Beijing. After ten years in China, I guess you'll be joining your wife for a little Austrian culture shock now! (Hmmm, Leberkaese. . .)

Good luck back in Austria. What will you be doing? Will your wife contiue working for Siemanns?

When you make it over to the States, remember you've got a friend in Colorado.

Cheers,

Dan K.
    Thanks Dan. My wife won't suffer a culture shock, we were living there before. I remember seeing a off-road rout from the very West all the way to the East of the US, which somehow is on my "to be ridden" list. I only hope you will be still there if I really do it.

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    This is going to be a huge loss indeed, sorry to see you leave before ever getting a chance to ride together. Looking forward to the report though
    Unplanned, we finally together
    Andy

5. #15 Re: Beijing - The Final Ride 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    I'm glad to read in MCM recently that you'll be visiting Beijing next month, as this means you've not pulled yourself up entirely by the roots.
    Actually I was already back twice, four days mid August, 9 days end of September when I accidentally ran into Felix and went for a ride with him.
    Andy

6. #16 Re: Beijing - The Final Ride 
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    I may be back for a ride in the places you mentioned - with a bloody GS

I hate to say it but a bloody GS is probably the best bike for up here.That or a Suzuki DRZ400.Do single track up in the mountains on the DRZ . GS way to heavy for that.

7. #17 Re: Beijing - The Final Ride 
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post

Thanks Dan. My wife won't suffer a culture shock, we were living there before. I remember seeing a off-road rout from the very West all the way to the East of the US, which somehow is on my "to be ridden" list. I only hope you will be still there if I really do it.
    Oh Yes, the Trans-America Trail (TAT). That's one on my list too. Lot's of good TAT ride reports over on ADVRider.

I'll miss your ride reports on MCM. Keep in touch.

Cheers,

Dan K.
    Dan Kearney - Black Hawk, Colorado, USA
    Zongshen RX-3 - Zongshen TT250 - Ural GearUp Hack - Honda CT110
    Ural M70 Retro Solo - BMW R100R - Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    http://dansmotorcycleblog.blogspot.com/

8. #18 Re: Beijing - The Final Ride 
    Thanks for finishing the report chinamaster! That impromptu ride in the mountains two weeks ago was an honor for me and the highlight of my short stay in beijing. Thanks a lot and enjoy the mighty Alps!

9. #19 Re: Beijing - The Final Ride 
    Quote Originally Posted by GRF_Hans View Post
    That's ridiculous! You think it's possible to bribe your way into here? Or is there anybody to talk to? That looks waaay sweet!
    Speaking of ridiculous....

Milton and I were just at Tianmenshan (part of our 5,000+ km ride across China - from Changsha to Urumuqi).
    So we checked on this for you while in Zhangjiajie! Sorry, there is no bribing your way onto this road.

But we don't think it's impossible to ride here. For example, if you're French and dress yourself up like a ComicCon character and do something silly that the local park authorities can sell tickets to, I am sure you can ride on this road. Here's recent proof:

10. #20 Re: Beijing - The Final Ride 
    I think Felix is just the guy for this job.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast