Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 How many tire plugs is too many? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Just got the third one in my rear tire (Kenda) this afternoon. Tire was new in September, about 6-7000 K on it so far. Regularly travelling at about 100K max speed. Guy on ADVrider says not to worry but I'd like to hear some fresh ideas. Opinions?

2. #2 Re: How many tire plugs is too many? 
    Who knows?

If you have a blowout and crash no one will know if it was the plugs that caused the blowout.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

3. #3 Re: How many tire plugs is too many? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Was hoping more for an example from experience.
    Barnone, how many times would you get holes plugged in your tire before getting the tire replaced?

4. #4 Re: How many tire plugs is too many? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I've had 3 in a car tire, without concern, but that vehicle has 4 wheels. The tire shop guy insisted that I could have 20 and it would still be safe.

I don't recall ever having one in a MC tire. In theory, it shouldn't matter, but it would be a worry of mine ... probably no basis for the worry, but I would still worry.

5. #5 Re: How many tire plugs is too many? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Eventually, plugs and their presumably uneven distribution on the tire will start to affect a wheel's balance, which could lead to vibration, uneven wear, etc.

Three flats in six months sounds excessive, though. Are your tires always properly inflated? Perhaps time to think of a better tire?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: How many tire plugs is too many? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    My CFMoto Jetmax stock rear tyres seemed to attract punctures like the plague nearing the end of the usable road going life (some odd 10000km's) I was unfortunate to get a nasty piece of steel in the rear tyre at around 5000km or so, with the steel having an angular 'U' shaped profile (end-on) and also having a bend in it, meaning that it left a sizeable hole in the tyre. A plug held it for a time, but as it got closer to the 1000o km mark, the tyre seemed to collect a few more punctures (4-5 in total) and then experienced constant slow leaks whereby I'd have to reinflate the tyre each morning otherwise I'd experience decreased riding performance. The test as to whether or not the rear tyre was underinflated was easy enough to perform, simply remove hands from handlebars at any speed, and experience increasingly abrupt 'tank-slapper' cyclic movements of the front forks/bars with increasing frequency. The second tyre also seemed more prone to punctures (5 in total) and loss of inflation nearing the 10000km mark. All tyres were plugged initially successfully, but as stated experienced increasing loss of inflation over time and kilometers covered. I've since changed the rear tyre for a standard profile Kenda (Taiwan brand) which has now covered 2000km plus, even though I still have two new factory tyres in my garage (I carry a whole range pf parts and consumables - just in case).
    My mate who also has a Jetmax has started to experience loss of inflation on his factory standard low profile radial tyre, which leads me to believe there is an inherent fault with the factory supplied low profile radial tyres.
    Plugs work well on tubeless tyres provided the hole isn't an angular or is of an unusual shaped profile, or is in the side wall, or runs perpendicular/diagonally across the camber of the tyre.

7. #7 Re: How many tire plugs is too many? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    probably no basis for the worry, but I would still worry.
    My point precisely. Thinking the money for the tire is probably worth the peace of mind.

There's been a lot of construction around my complex lately. My building alone has had 3 of the apartments gutted and refurbished (I'm lucky, they don't start work before 8 and always finish before 6). Each time it's been a brand new wood screw that has worked its way between the treads. The tire has never actually gone flat as a result. Thinking I should charge the damn construction workers for my new tire but like that would happen.

/edit
    Wow, thanks for the input Bikerdoc. There is no loss of tire pressure with any of the plugs I have. Still thinking I might just get a new tire put on though for reasons mentioned above.

8. #8 Re: How many tire plugs is too many? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Was hoping more for an example from experience.
    Barnone, how many times would you get holes plugged in your tire before getting the tire replaced?
    Nuhaus,
    I've only plugged one motorcycle tire in 50 years of riding and that was a temporary fix until I could get a new tire so I don't have any experience.
    I have had a spill on a bike at speed because of a blowout on a rear tire back in 1968 and guess I am paranoid about motorcycle tires. I keep fresh unplugged tires on all my bikes.

Again, I don't how anyone can answer you original question. For what it's worth, motorcycle tire manufactures recommend against plugging.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

9. #9 Re: How many tire plugs is too many? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    Nuhaus,
    I have had a spill on a bike at speed because of a blowout on a rear tire back in 1968 and guess I am paranoid about motorcycle tires.
    Yeh, that would make me paranoid too.

Thanks for the input. Another friend of mine (the guy who got me riding bikes in the first place) just told me I had 1 too many. I know my mechanic is gonna think I'm dumb for changing the tire but I can afford it.

10. #10 Re: How many tire plugs is too many? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    ...I know my mechanic is gonna think I'm dumb for changing the tire but I can afford it.
    Needless to say, your safety and peace of mind are millions of times more important than whether your cheapskate mechanic tries to make you feel guilty for not running the tire down to bare threads.

Motorcycle tires are not the place to skimp.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast