Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Buying a bike New vs. used 
    First, thanks everybody for all the information (law,protection, bikes). I'm getting my licence now and will be getting a bike during the next two months.

I'm not a bike enthusiast (yet!) and I don't really care for big bikes or sporty looking ones. I want to lean back and enjoy the trip im planning. Me and the gf are going to travel to shaanxi, inner mongolia, maybe beijing and back this summer and I'm soon to be buying my first bike.

Inspection:
    Theres a bike in the shop i've been eyeing, 125cc low-rider thingy, dont know what youd call it, i dont know the chinese for inspection but my chinese is not bad and i can make myself understood, the bike-shop-guy speaks ok english too but when I ask if the bikes got inspection papers the channels of communication run a bit dry. This makes me think he doesnt have them. Can someone tell me the chinese name for the inspection thing.

Type of bike:
    For the roads here is a low-rider bike suitable or will we just feel like a tin of paint on one of those mixing machines? They have these weird looking new bikes, some kindof hybrid which seem to have good suspension, do you know what I'm talking about and are they any good, he wants about 6000 for them. I understand from the forums that this should come with one year insurance and will be registered in my name.

I'm a bit wary of buying a new bike as I don't really know anything about bikes yet and I like to be inconspicuous when I travel. I'd like to buy 2nd hand but it seems like they're a lot of trouble and I haven't found a shop that has a decent selection of them. Does anyone know a good bike shop here (in Shanghai)?

So to summarize my main questions:
    What type of bike can I get away with riding for incursions inland ? I'm not getting a dirt-bike because it won't be comfortable to carry my gf and our stuff for a month.

What specific things should I ask him about to verify the bike is road worthy and legal apart from the fapiao? What are these things in Chinese (with charachters)?

Are there any trustworthy bike shops or places to get body armour that you guys know of?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

2. #2 Re: Buying a bike New vs. used 
    Thanks for the advice (not! lol) anyway I've just come from the regal-raptor shop and the DD250E-9B stole my heart. She's the one (I think it was around 16000 on the road, but have seen them online for 14500). I reckon me and the gf could do alrite on it. Still don't know about the roads tho. Does anyone know a reputable second hand shop (or is it much better off getting to new one?) and again, what are the certifications called in chinese?

Is it crazy to want to put a windshield on it? I read that they can be uncomfortable to ride for long stretches because of wind-resistance.

3. #3 Re: Buying a bike New vs. used 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Clegg,

Greetings from across town, or perhaps the same 'hood, and apologies for the tardy welcome. MCM has been a bit sleepy of late, and typically is more reliable for queries like yours. Hopefully this means members are all out riding and enjoying the springtime weather before the sultry hammer of summer falls.

As for your questions, please spend some time trolling through these threads, and using the search function. These topics have been covered quite a bit, and you'll also get a much greater sense for how motorcycling works here.

On what bike, I've posted recently about why I would not want either a cruiser or a sport bike in China, but we have plenty of members who favor one or the other, and have lived to tell the tale. Dewsnap has recently posted a lot about his Raptor purchase, so check out his posts.

Second hand purchases? That's also been covered a lot, mostly with warnings, since there are tons of bikes of dubious provenance (stolen outright, crafted from stolen parts, etc) and it's probably very challenging to find a used bike with reliably legal plates/registration, etc. Not saying don't buy used, but caveatbloodyfuckingemptor.

A final thought: If you are planning to ride two-up, you need to be making these buying decisions not just for yourself and your own safety, but in the interest of your pillion's safety as well. That's a huge responsibility. Looking cool on a low-slung cruiser might appeal to both of you, but it might not be the smartest, safest approach.

thanks for making the extra effort to reach out. MCM is a great resource, and a place for a lot of good camaraderie too.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: Buying a bike New vs. used 
    Thanks for the reply. I have and will continue to trawl the threads, theres an immense amount of information, but I'm working through it. The reason I would be going for the cruiser is for safety. It looks safer than the 2n and I assumed that cruisers are better for long distances. I dont see a negative in your post about the negatives of a cruiser. I read that the turning sucks a bit on lower speeds but I would rather that and be able to sit back at high speed, maybe with a windshield. Maybe I'm wrong but the back seats on the sportier bikes don't look to be a safe/comfortable at higher speeds\long runs.

If I dont get a cruiser or sports bike what do I get? those dual-sports things dont look great for passengers

yea on the second hand thing im kindof getting that vibe from the site and my own experience, just thought there may be a reputable dealer somewhere.

5. #5 Re: Buying a bike New vs. used 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by corporal_clegg View Post
    Does anyone know a reputable second hand shop (or is it much better off getting to new one?) and again, what are the certifications called in chinese?

Is it crazy to want to put a windshield on it? I read that they can be uncomfortable to ride for long stretches because of wind-resistance.
    Windshield is a good idea, obtainable from either the Pubei Lu Regal shop or the Jaoji Lu motomart (prolly cheaper). Wrangler has one of these bikes and quite loves it. Not sure what you mean by certifications. These bikes are inspected and certified when they are plated, if the shop can get you plates for the bike you want then it *should* be all good. More information on this topic is available if you look up plates on this site. I highly recommend looking at Dewsnap's and Wrangler's posts (as Euphonius mentions) as they got their Regal Raptors in the last 6 months.

One thing against cruisers (from racking up 20K on a Honda Rebel in China), they can wreck your back on long rides. I modified the seat and shocks on my bike so that I get more of an upright sitting position (shoulders in front of hips). Going over bumps at speed got a bit uncomfortable otherwise. YMMV. My friend is 6'1" and loves his Raptor cruiser as is.

6. #6 Re: Buying a bike New vs. used 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Windshield is a good idea, obtainable from either the Pubei Lu Regal shop or the Jaoji Lu motomart (prolly cheaper). Wrangler has one of these bikes and quite loves it. Not sure what you mean by certifications. These bikes are inspected and certified when they are plated, if the shop can get you plates for the bike you want then it *should* be all good. More information on this topic is available if you look up plates on this site. I highly recommend looking at Dewsnap's and Wrangler's posts (as Euphonius mentions) as they got their Regal Raptors in the last 6 months.
    The big girl who seemed to know whats what in the showroom looked at me like i was a fool when I asked about the windshield lol. I'm not sure if i will get a legit plate right off the bat, I think that insurance, licence and registration papers should be enough for now. Whats the point in getting an expensive sh plate to just drive off into the countryside. When I get back i will check out plates. Not decided yet tho. Its all just so bloody expensive. Looks like itll be 16 for the bike another 12/13 minimum for all the gear (for both of us)... modifications etc. plus plates, will have to see how much money I can gather.

The certifications I mean from a second hand dealer to ensure the bike is legal and road-worthy.

Thanks for the notice for the wrangler and dewsnap, one of those things... i couldnt find it until I new it was there, stupid. Still the cruisers sounds like it came with less faults. I'm worried about having to deal with all this when I get it as I have no experience I wont know how much is me or the bike. Two months and all will be revealed

7. #7 Re: Buying a bike New vs. used 
    Quote Originally Posted by corporal_clegg View Post
    ...The reason I would be going for the cruiser is for safety. It looks safer than the 2n and I assumed that cruisers are better for long distances. I dont see a negative in your post about the negatives of a cruiser. I read that the turning sucks a bit on lower speeds but I would rather that and be able to sit back at high speed, maybe with a windshield.
    I'm a committed dual sport rider, with a JH600 here in China and a Kawi KLR650 in California. Apart from what Nuhaus has said about lower back pain and butt pain on longer rides, which does not happen with the bolt upright position of a dual sport, the DS also gives you the greatest possible visibility as you are high above all surrounding vehicles, and your posture allows for the widest range of head turning for head checks. if you are slightly reclined on a cruiser, or leaning forward on a sport bike, your range of head checking is definitely limited. Also not sure how comfortable a pillion would be on a cruiser on a long ride unless she (and it will be a she, right?) has a nice backrest. That has the effect of throwing the riders' collective weight further back on the bike, compounding an imbalance front to back that already exists if you are carrying luggage.

Check out Serpentza's recent thread on riding with beer girl in Guangdong, and you'll see a nicely balanced rider/pillion/luggage combo on a dual sport. For an even more impressive setup, read Pfaelzer's recent threads on riding his JH600 with pillion through Fujian in spring.

I can ride for 10-12 hours and never feel back or butt fatigue on my two DS bikes.

For overall comfort and safety in China, especially with pillion, an upright riding posture is best.

One rider's opinion!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

8. #8 Re: Buying a bike New vs. used 
    alrite euphonius. I am already quite attached to my embriotic raptor but those setups look doable. Ima head around tomorrow and check out qingqi and maybe zongchen shops. A little heart broken although but would like to figure out what is best before deciding what to do.

9. #9 Re: Buying a bike New vs. used 
    Last thing I want to do is curb your enthusiasm! Whatever bike you get you'll be on cloud 9. But no need to rush. Take it slow and easy and get the bike you want. In coming months there may also be more choices, as more makers comply with the China3 emissions requirements.

There are quite a few of us here in Shanghai who would be happy to let you check out our various steeds, and share with you our various biases/preferences!

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

10. #10 Re: Buying a bike New vs. used 
    I agree with Euphonius. Enduro style bikes are simply the best, though a well designed classical basic bikes are quite close to Enduros.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast