Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: DF250RTC Street Bike 
    Is the code on the engine block ZS167MM?

I am hearing that the engine is a Zongshen engine, that was not disclosed on the Dongfang application to the EPA.

2. #12 Re: DF250RTC Street Bike 
    they are fun bikes, all I have to say is make sure you can register them. I noticed Scooter Depot added NJ PA to the restricted states list.
    Gardo northern NJ/NYC
    CCW tha Heist tha Widow
    CCW tha Misfit (tha Wraith)
    50 State legal and Worldwide
    CCW Heist Riders

3. #13 Re: DF250RTC Street Bike 
    It is best to make sure the credit card you use has purchase protection and if you cannot register it then you reverse the charges on the card and then tell the vendor to send a freight company to pick-up the bike.

The bikes are being imported by Dong Fang Inc, that is who they are in the EPA database as the importer/wholesale distributor…as to which state they are actually incorporated it’s anyone’s guess.

It does not really matter though to anyone interested in buying them…

When the bike comes check it over for damages, if it is then do not accept it.
    If not then put it together and wear it in….if it is your first bike you will not have anything to compare it to so you will or should be satisfied.

Fine for tooling around city streets, learning how to master shifting etc. I would never ever take it on the highway.

The only problem I have with the Chinese bikes beside the variability in quality, is the poor resale on them. Particularly if you are just using it to learn on, the resale is very low you almost would have to give it away.

If you want to get the most resale on it, then do not modify it at all and put some miles on it first. Like 1500-2000 which will prove it is not a lemon. That engine has a compression ratio of 9.2:1 a mechanic can check that at 2000 miles and confirm it for resale, that and the valve clearances 0.05-0.07
    can be checked as well that receipt you will sell a used bike better then any BS verbiage in an add. The cost of that is minimal and would demonstrate you took care of the bike.

I re-jetted the carb and put on a performance exhaust translates into I beat the snot out of it and now I want to unload it with its half life kicked out of it.

The resale would be $1,250.00 to $1,500.00 on it.

4. #14 Re: DF250RTC Street Bike 
    All the bikes that I have bought recently needed jet changes because of the very lean settings to meet EPA emission requirement including my 2005 Yamaha XT225, 2010 DF250RTB, 2009 Qlink XF200, 2008 Pitster Pro Classic 125. Usually just a simple increase of a size or two is needed. Not a big deal and I would not worry about nonsense statements such as
    "I re-jetted the carb and put on a performance exhaust translates into I beat the snot out of it and now I want to unload it with its half life kicked out of it."
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

5. #15 Re: DF250RTC Street Bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post

I am hearing that the engine is a Zongshen engine, that was not disclosed on the Dongfang application to the EPA.
    MJH, I wonder if the engine, according to the EPA, is technically a Dong Fang? A few years ago, when the EPA started closing the loopholes to the multitude of Chinese bikes, supposedly, only the manufacturer could bring in bikes. In theory, that would have limited the choices of Chinese bikes to Lifan or Zongshen and a couple (literally a couple) of others.

However, that has not been the case. So my guess is that the engine is approved as that manufacturer's engine. I suppose that something is done to differentiate the engine from the source manufacturer. But look at CCW--I don't think that their engines are approved as Lifan engines, but rather 'their' own even though Lifan is the manufacturer. However, I am not sure how their 'Hooligun' will be certified--either as a CCW or a Qingqi? But I think their 'Heist' and 'Misfit' are proprietarily (probably not a real word) theirs whereas the 'Hooligun' is (most likely) a re-badged Qingqi.

6. #16 Re: DF250RTC Street Bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    All the bikes that I have bought recently needed jet changes because of the very lean settings to meet EPA emission requirement including my 2005 Yamaha XT225, 2010 DF250RTB, 2009 Qlink XF200, 2008 Pitster Pro Classic 125. Usually just a simple increase of a size or two is needed. Not a big deal and I would not worry about nonsense statements such as
    "I re-jetted the carb and put on a performance exhaust translates into I beat the snot out of it and now I want to unload it with its half life kicked out of it."
    It's also illegal....

7. #17 Re: DF250RTC Street Bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    MJH, I wonder if the engine, according to the EPA, is technically a Dong Fang? A few years ago, when the EPA started closing the loopholes to the multitude of Chinese bikes, supposedly, only the manufacturer could bring in bikes. In theory, that would have limited the choices of Chinese bikes to Lifan or Zongshen and a couple (literally a couple) of others.

However, that has not been the case. So my guess is that the engine is approved as that manufacturer's engine. I suppose that something is done to differentiate the engine from the source manufacturer. But look at CCW--I don't think that their engines are approved as Lifan engines, but rather 'their' own even though Lifan is the manufacturer. However, I am not sure how their 'Hooligun' will be certified--either as a CCW or a Qingqi? But I think their 'Heist' and 'Misfit' are proprietarily (probably not a real word) theirs whereas the 'Hooligun' is (most likely) a re-badged Qingqi.
    Not the case EPA has a fields for engine OEM and Engine OEM country. The Heist is listed under PIT and RHON and has Lifan as the Engine OEM.

8. #18 Re: DF250RTC Street Bike 
    It's also illegal....
    Changing the subject as usual.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

9. #19 Re: DF250RTC Street Bike 
    Not the case EPA has a fields for engine OEM and Engine OEM country. The Heist is listed under PIT and RHON and has Lifan as the Engine OEM.
    From Kb96gt:
    "Why is under PIT and not under Qinqgi? My MSO was a Qinqgi and had no model name listed. My insurance company still doesn't know what to call it. lol."
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

10. #20 Re: DF250RTC Street Bike 
    Actually the next publication Of Bluebook will have it fixed with the Cleveland Cyclewerks Name, I asked (nicely)
    Gardo northern NJ/NYC
    CCW tha Heist tha Widow
    CCW tha Misfit (tha Wraith)
    50 State legal and Worldwide
    CCW Heist Riders

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast