Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 850km, 3 provinces : Shanghai-Moganshan-Qiandaohu... 
    Hello all,

Well, not really a RR (I'm way too lazy right now !), just some pictures to share with you guys and some comments about the trip :

Route : leaving Shanghai Friday early morning by the G318, all the way to Huzhou where I took the G104 south to Moganshan. Took me 4,5 hours with my small but brilliant Honda 150cc. Then Saturday went from Moganshan to Anji, then the S306, S104, S208 and finally S302 to Qiandaohu where I almost immediately decided to go back : the place was absolutely packed with tourist buses, and the magnificent small roads around Moganshan were calling me...

The bike : a reminder for those who don't know, a Honda-Sundiro SDH 150-16 (150cc) "Shadow", which performed brilliantly during the whole trip. I mean it : it was PERFECT ! I did a good maintenance on it before leaving, then another one when I came back yesterday, I'm really impressed with this little bike, which could cruise at 80km/h for hours while fully loaded and withstand all the bad roads around Moganshan or Anhui.

I had a BLAST on the very small roads around Moganshan, mountain roads going right and left all the time for 20 to 50kms, with big elevation changes, all run between 30 and 50 km/h all the time, it was great great fun ! The only "inconvenience" are the local drivers completely cutting the corners which led to some tense moments... When they arrive at a blind corner, they honk and think it's then ok to proceed at full speed in the middle of the road...

The pics !
    Moganshan 20110526-28 013.jpg
    Beautiful narrow paths

Moganshan 20110526-28 019.jpg

Moganshan 20110526-28 022.jpg
    I just love this kind of roads... Twisties for hours, it was the most fun I had on the bike until now.

Moganshan 20110526-28 023.jpg

Moganshan 20110526-28 026.jpg
    The local fauna....

To be continued....
    Last edited by Fred; 05-30-2011 at 03:46 AM.

2. #2 Re: 850km, 3 provinces : Shanghai-Moganshan-Qiandaohu... 
    Continuing...

Moganshan 20110526-28 056.jpg
    Twisties in the mountain...

Moganshan 20110526-28 082.jpg
    Each corner revealed a beautiful landscape, I rarely stop to take pictures while I'm riding, I'm having too much fun !

Moganshan 20110526-28 087.jpg

Moganshan 20110526-28 091.jpg
    My favourite pic of the trip : mountains everywhere, I'll admit it : I love Zhejiang...

Moganshan 20110526-28 107.jpg
    No problem if you miss the corner, you can go through the building... "insert image of a rider jumping through the hole with chicken flying..."

To be continued....

3. #3 Re: 850km, 3 provinces : Shanghai-Moganshan-Qiandaohu... 
    Finally the bike :
    Moganshan 20110526-28 049 Mod.jpg

which proved to be too fast for the rider in the narrow twisties.....
    Gun it !! Oooh wait...

Moganshan 20110526-28 081.jpg

4. #4 Re: 850km, 3 provinces : Shanghai-Moganshan-Qiandaohu... 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Great pics & entertaining humor!

Very nice bike - you should put it on the train and come up to Beijing!

5. #5 Re: 850km, 3 provinces : Shanghai-Moganshan-Qiandaohu... 
    You're certainly getting 'out there' Fred. Love it!

I'm heading out to Moganshan and Anji over the Dragon Boat Festival. I'm itching to try those much talked about twisties in Zhejiang. It'll be my logest ride yet.

What mileage have you done on the Shadow now mate?

6. #6 Re: 850km, 3 provinces : Shanghai-Moganshan-Qiandaohu... 
    Quote Originally Posted by dewsnap View Post
    You're certainly getting 'out there' Fred. Love it!

I'm heading out to Moganshan and Anji over the Dragon Boat Festival. I'm itching to try those much talked about twisties in Zhejiang. It'll be my logest ride yet.

What mileage have you done on the Shadow now mate?

Hey Dan, if you're heading over there, I can only recommend you highly this super fun road to go from Moganshan to Anji :
    Perfect Moganshan road.JPG

37 km of sick twisties, really a lot of fun to ride (well actually less as the last portion is the boring S306). The road surface is not so good at some spots with potholes, but it's not dirt either...
    Every time I'll go back to Moganshan I'll be sure to ride there.

You can zoom on the map and actually try every small roads around Moganshan, not one disappointed me. I rode to several dead-ends, but it's good fun anyway to explore.

About the Shadow, I'm only at 3,000 km now, not as much as I would like to, but hey, it's better than nothing and the reliability has been perfect until now. ;-)

7. #7 Re: 850km, 3 provinces : Shanghai-Moganshan-Qiandaohu... 
    Much appreciated Fred. That road is now firmly in our itinary. I'll be sure to explore every ince of those mountains.

Glad the bike has been so reliable for you, I'm also nearlly at 3000km's and i've had no end of problems with the Regal-Raptor. Just goes to show how much better quality the Japanese bikes are compared to China's offerings.

8. #8 Re: 850km, 3 provinces : Shanghai-Moganshan-Qiandaohu... 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by dewsnap View Post
    I'm also nearlly at 3000km's and i've had no end of problems with the Regal-Raptor. Just goes to show how much better quality the Japanese bikes are compared to China's offerings.
    You get what you pay for goes the old saying!

Go up the real Moganshan mountain and enjoy lunch at The Moganshan Lodge and run the big loop around the Moganshan mountain and take a swim in one of the reservoirs. Great roads out that way, sometimes you need to watch out for the stupid tour bus drivers. This coming weekend (Dragon Boat Festival long weekend) the whole area around Moganshan / Anji will be extremely crowded with tourists (the lovely Chinese tour groups with matching baseball caps and a guide with megaphone and umbrella up front).

RIDE SAFE, PAL

9. #9 Re: 850km, 3 provinces : Shanghai-Moganshan-Qiandaohu... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    You get what you pay for goes the old saying!

Go up the real Moganshan mountain and enjoy lunch at The Moganshan Lodge and run the big loop around the Moganshan mountain and take a swim in one of the reservoirs. Great roads out that way, sometimes you need to watch out for the stupid tour bus drivers. This coming weekend (Dragon Boat Festival long weekend) the whole area around Moganshan / Anji will be extremely crowded with tourists (the lovely Chinese tour groups with matching baseball caps and a guide with megaphone and umbrella up front).

RIDE SAFE, PAL

I can only concur with you Pal and offer a bit of a warning to you Dan : local drivers and tour bus drivers are blatantly cutting each corner, especially the hairpins of course, going extremely fast relatively to the terrain they drive on and will be a real threat for you this weekend. Watch out !
    Always start your cornering at the outside and do not cut inside your lane until you see the end of the turn.

On a side note, once you escape the front of the buses, you're not safe home : watch out for the tourists vomiting from the side windows, you don't want half-digested niurou baozhi on your visor... Hahaha ! ;-))

10. #10 Re: 850km, 3 provinces : Shanghai-Moganshan-Qiandaohu... 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    a side note, once you escape the front of the buses, you're not safe home : watch out for the tourists vomiting from the side windows, you don't want half-digested niurou baozhi on your visor... Hahaha ! ;-))
    Mate, spot on! Same applies for the rest of China and bus travel, vomitting out of windows and throwing trash.

Another serious road hazard around Moganshan / Anji = trucks hauling long bamboo trees!

I am quite often out there on very early Sunday morning high speed runs with a real big bike and back home for lunch with the family.

Ride safe! PAL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast