Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 And another one in Beijing 
    Hi there,

I would be the latest addition to the exquisite club of Beijing ren in this forum if only I had a license and a bike and a plate.

But all is in the works. First gotta make an exit run, renew my visa, enroll at laoshan, pass all the tests and then get my bike.

After all I read on this forum, I decided I want to get one of these Shineray XY200GY-7 but have not been able to find a dealer in the Jing so far. Can anybody help me out on this?

Thanks for putting up MYM, it has been a great help already and I am looking forward to more news and chatter.

BTW, never owned a motorbike before but had to use one of these 110 cc scooters in Vietnam for some months and went out on a CJ with some other riders this spring. That is my moto experience so far...

Cheers!

2. #2 Re: And another one in Beijing 
    short update: did my exit stamp run, go a new visa, registered at Laoshan, went through all 800 questions and will be at the DMV to shedule the written test tmrw...

3. #3 Re: And another one in Beijing 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Nice work, Fahni. Once again, just memorize the answers to questions that don't make sense, and there may be quite a few of these. Logic does NOT work on this exam. You'll be legal in no time.

Any progress toward selecting and purchasing a bike? Still plenty left to this riding season.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: And another one in Beijing 
    Dear Euphonius,

thanks for following my "progress" I am not too worried about the exam. With two more weeks to go, there should be plenty of time. Then again, you never know...

As for the bike, that is a real headache. Even chinese riders in forums seem to have no clue on registrable bikes. Will go to EICMA at the weekend to get some info from manufacturers. But my masterplan is to get a 2nd hand bike. Since I don't have a 180 day visa (stupid NGO restrictions don't allow for a Z visa) and my GFs also expires Jan 2nd 2012 I probably will have to convince the seller to "rent" it to me for half a year until I can register it in my GFs name. Or I ask a friend to register it in his name. Do you think that is doable? What would you suggest?

Thanks for the support!

Fahni

5. #5 Re: And another one in Beijing 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hey Fahni - welcome to MCM and congrats on wading into the waters of Legal Riding in China. I went through Laoshan last summer and can assure you that it's really just a matter of going through the process - you'll be legal before you know it! Also - once you pass the computer test and get called for the week of "classes" - you can get lots of free riding practice - when I went through it, everyone showed up on Monday for the first "class" - and it was tough to get much riding in (5-6 people per bike).. but then Tuesday-Thursday only about a third of the people showed up and I could basically ride as much as I wanted.

As far as bike registration goes, you may already know, but if you buy new the dealer can handle the registration. If you buy used, make sure the bike is already registered and then you can potentially hire an agent to do all the leg work it takes to transfer the registration. Lao Jia Huo just posted a pretty extensive
    summary of registration issues here in Beijing. When I bought my bike, I lived inside 4th Ring and opted to get it registered in a company's name.

Good luck - and once everything's in order - I'm sure you'll find it was worth all the effort!
    Last edited by Pat; 06-27-2011 at 08:56 PM.

6. #6 Re: And another one in Beijing 
    I am progressing: had my written exam today and finished with 92 points. My gf (even though she started studying in the very last moment) finsihed with an amazing 96
    Our paperwork is on the way to Laoshan as we speak and I am looking forward to starting test driving next week.

京B-plated 200/250 cc dual-sport for sale, anyone?

7. #7 Re: And another one in Beijing 
    OK, test driving will not start before next monday but I already found a bike, made a down payment so it will be ready as soon as I got my DL

8. #8 Re: And another one in Beijing 
    Quote Originally Posted by fahni View Post
    ...but I already found a bike, made a down payment so it will be ready as soon as I got my DL
    I think you've been taking lessons from Pat on how to create suspense in a forum post! I hope you'll not keep us waiting too long before revealing your choice of bike, along with how you found it and how you decided on this one. With plenty of pix, of course!

Congratulations, and cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #9 Re: And another one in Beijing 

unintentionally! It is the little Jialing:

I found a 2nd hand one with only 160 km on the meter. Had her first oil change already and cost was only 7000 all in (1 year warranty, 京B plates, insurance)

Made up your mind about your visit to the Jing?

10. #10 Re: And another one in Beijing 
    So far as I know you'll be the first MCM member with this bike. Really look forward to hearing your feedback. What's with the seller selling a bike that's virtually new? Do you know anything of its history? Little old lady who only rode it to church on Sundays? Sounds like you got a fine deal.

My guess is you'll be having some fun with that.

I've postponed a planned August trip out of China, so I may actually get up to Beijing before the summer is out. Hope so.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast