Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: And another one in Beijing 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    What's with the seller selling a bike that's virtually new? Do you know anything of its history? Little old lady who only rode it to church on Sundays? Sounds like you got a fine deal.
    The shop's story is that the former owner was only around 1.68 tall so to small for the bike which makes sense since the back suspension of the bike has been modified (don't know how to describe in english: the back suspension can be lowered with a screw. You probably know what I mean) and is way down. So they will have to raise it again for me.

2. #12 Re: And another one in Beijing 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Please try to confirm this story. With such low-mileage bikes on the second-hand market, there's always the suspicion that the odometer has been tampered with.

Again, sounds like a great find and I'm excited to hear more about this bike. Wish it had double the displacement, but if you are in the neighborhood of 80kg or less, it'll be a really excellent starter bike -- very light to hold up when you find yourself compelled to put a foot down, and very forgiving when you drop it (as you will). Be sure to get some metal-spined wraparound hand guards so that when you do drop the bike you don't snap off the levers.

Good to know it has an adjustable suspension, as do our bigger Jialings.

Finally, is it safe to assume that this bike is NOT C3 compliant, but is can be legally registered because it qualified in the pre-C3 era and is a second-hand transfer? Or is this bike also C3 compliant, as the JH600 has been since late 2010?

Best thanks!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #13 Re: And another one in Beijing 
    Yes, I have seen the fapiao, it is only two months old and was bought at the same shop. It fell one time on the right side. Just two small scratches on the plastik and a dent brake bar. Checked it as carefully as I could (only forgot the spokes and the rims) and did not find anything wrong with it. Odometer works.

Can't decide on the hand protectors. I was going for this: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=10926146590 as they are probably easier to put onto the bike.
    Or would you reccommend something like this?:
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=6917312647 (sorry, don't know how to get rid of the highlighting)
    I was shzing away from these as they require some messing with the accelerator handle and maybe some shortening of brake/clutch handle
    The bike has a C3 sticker. I think all the 150cc bikes have one now.

4. #14 Re: And another one in Beijing 
    The handguards several of us in Shanghai are using are these, which are a very good copy of the Acerbis guards that Pfaelzer installed on his JH600. They have a very strong aluminum backbone, but the installation hardware -- particularly the part that clamps to the bar inside of the brake levers -- may not fit all bars, so you may end up finding a mechanic to do some milling for you. My set came with little plastic windshields that can be bolted on separately. I've not dropped the bike since installing, but I'm very confident they will protect both my hands and my levers.

A well-spent 80 RMB.

cheers
    Last edited by euphonius; 07-21-2011 at 06:17 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai

5. #15 Re: And another one in Beijing 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    The handguards several of us in Shanghai are using are these, which are a very good copy of the Acerbis guards that Pfaelzer installed on his JH600. They have a very strong aluminum backbone, but the installation hardware -- particularly the part that clamps to the bar inside of the brake levers -- may not fit all bars, so you may end up finding a mechanic to do some milling for you. My set came with little plastic windshields that can be bolted on separately. I've not dropped the bike since installing, but I'm very confident they will protect both my hands and my levers.

A well-spent 80 RMB.

cheers
    I see, so something like my second choice. Tks for the counceling!

6. #16 Re: And another one in Beijing 
    It was our colleague Milton who ordered my set for me, so he'll be the best source for which taobao vendor provided them. I think that vendor was recommended by ChinaV, whose word is gold in these parts. There does seem to be a wide variety of the quality of these knockoffs, so it's worth doing your homework.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #17 Re: And another one in Beijing 
    I passed the driving test on monday but my sweety put her foot down in the figure of 8 so she is "invited" to go there next friday again.
    What was a real bummer is the fact that the actual licence won't be ready for pick-up before the 9th or even the 12th.
    So I already had to scrap my first out on 6th/7th. It is going to be a hard time fighting the temptation to just pick-up my plated bike and start riding around...
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

8. #18 Re: And another one in Beijing 
    seems that's Tom with the Jialing ride ...

congrats for the bike and license - fell freee to join one of our next rides with the CJ's

thomas
    http://www.4444-Chang-Jiang-Design.com

9. #19 Re: And another one in Beijing 
    And that seems to be Tom

Thanks and will let you know when I actually have the license in my hands...

JH-150GY-3

10. #20 Re: And another one in Beijing 
    HaHa! Got my license and my bike yesterday!!

Took me more than five hours to run to the drivers school which is in the far west and then back to the shop wich is up northeast and then riding back through rush hour traffic to my home in the center of town. I have to say: riding in rush hour traffic sucks big time!

At the shop nothing was prepared even though they called me twice the last three weeks to tell me the bike was ready to be picked up. But the broken break lever was still not fixed, the new air horn was not on the bike yet, the plates were not on the bike and all spare parts I had ordered were still not in the shop. TIC

Anyway, will take out the baby (still couldn't decide on a name) for a ride in the mountains on the WE and than I can elaborate a little more on handling and performance.
    JH-150GY-3

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast