Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Hello from Spain 
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Sorry about my bad manners. I should have introduced myself before any postings.
    My name is Ernesto and live in Spain. I did live in the UK for over 20 years where I learned to tinker with cars and bikes. When you have British bikes of the 60's and 70's, you REALLY learn to tinker...It makes me laugh when people say Chinese bikes are bad and unreliable, have they ever owned British bikes?
    Nowadays I've developed a liking for Chinese machinery, as my other vehicles are Japanese and reliable but boring.
    These bikes are ideal to tinker with and modify and improve. So far I have 2 Jinchengs Monkey bike replicas, tuned up of course!, 2 Skyteam Honda Dax replicas with Lifan engines, a Zongshen 125 Honda cub type, and the latest and best my Qingqi QM200GY.
    Here's a picture of 2 of them with me in the background (I'm the one with the beard and the beergut...

Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hello forchetto. Nice to meet you. Its far view on your bike but even so I can see you have modified grips and some thing wrong with you air filter. I mean you probably replace your stock one with something more interesting. Will be nice to see you modifications more close.

hi Ernesto;
    you're welcome to the site.
    first of all I congratulate Spane for winning the European soccer cup after 44 years.
    your bikes both look great, so do you and your beer "drum"
    I ride a lifan gy200 and I'm well pleased with it.
    see you next time.

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by vladg View Post
    I can see you have modified grips and some thing wrong with you air filter. I mean you probably replace your stock one with something more interesting. Will be nice to see you modifications more close.
    The grips have been fitted with some heavy bar-end weights to kill some of the vibration felt through the bars. This made my hand go to sleep after 10 or so Km. It still vibrates a bit, but not so bad.

When the photo was taken I was experimenting with jetting and removal of airbox. This was substituted by a K&N type pod air filter. The experiment was a failure. CV type carburettors do not like this kind of filter. The turbulence produced by the bikes running or any side winds upset the carburation. The tickover became unreliable and the bike lost a lot of power at the low and mid-range.

I have now gone back to stock jetting and airbox and she runs perfectly. The only change to carburation has been turning the pilot screw out half a turn. It now stands at 3 turns out.

I will be experimenting with the needle height later on, as I have made some easy changes to the silencer by removing the stainless steel cap and drilling some 10 mm holes in the end. The cap was also cut down a little before replacing.This produces a bit more pleasant sound, specially on the overrun...a deep throaty sound that does not offend anybody.
    For Europe these bikes have to comply with Euro3 emissions, mine has a SAI (secondary air injection) valve on the downpipe (now removed and blanked off) wich produced a very hot-burning exhaust system and poping back on deceleration.
    It still has an oxidation catalyst stuck inside the muffler, and I would like to hear from anyone who has removed it as I think this loses a lot of power.

I had trouble in the past modifying the air filter system on a PGO buggy that I have. This also has a MIKUNI CV carburettor, but I still tried to do the air filter mod. They do say that some people trip twice on the same stone

Searching other forums I learned the truth about Pod filters and CV carbs, for example the "Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website: SuperSport Forums" are full of advice against modifying the air boxes with CV carbs.

Other mods so far include lowering the seat height, first by cutting down the seat, then loosening the rear shock absorber to minimum pre-load and then cutting down the side stand a little. This was because when I finally managed to climb on it, instead of helping lowering the bike as the suspension compressed under my 80 kg, the side stand hit the ground. This also makes the bike lean a bit more when parked, making it more secure and easier to get on.

Has anyone with one of these bikes noticed that the rear shock absorber has an air valve on it?. It appears that you can adjust the pre-load by filling it with air at different pressures, but it needs a special kind of air pump to do it. A normal car one won't work.
    Last edited by forchetto; 06-30-2008 at 03:21 AM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Its interesting to me to what you are doing with your silenser. Here in Ukraine we have not such high exhaust emition standart like it is in EC. So our exhaust have no any SAI, catalizators or shit like this. And I suspect that it have a very little noise absorbing material in it, because from first time I bought it was sounds loud. But I still never try to open silenser and to see what is inside. If you will make such a upgrade bfrt some picture.
    As well I so that nippel or valve on the rear shock absorber. Dealer told me that its factory precharged and better dont touch it . Well actually I almoust sitisfied with my suspention. I would like to have lower seat (now mine even higher couse my new 21 & 18" tyres). And another think. Some of gays in Ukraine did open front fock. And its only one (left) side have a spring in it. So what do you think why is so? And is it give a good result to add spring to right one.

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    The EU models made to comply with Euro3 standards have a power output of 11.5 Kw or 15,4 HP . The ones sold for example, in South America have 18 HP. This could be due to the presence of the catalyser and other emisions crap.
    I have so far removed the air injection but the catalyser is deep down in the muffler and difficult to take out. The muffler is very solid and all welded together.
    I am shocked to hear that there's only a spring in the left-side fork. This can not be correct. Are they sure?. Just in case I'll be having a look inside mine tomorrow
    The rear shock absorber has a normal car/bike tyre Schrader valve in it. The Dealer and importer know nothing about it. The owners manual says nothing about it.
    After looking at it for a few days I decided to press the little pin in the middle and there was nothing in it. I bought a pump in a mountain bicycle shop that is designed for inflating air suspensions, see photo. Just a few strokes puts in something like 2 bars and stiffens the shock a lot.
    The pump is special in that it's possible to insert and remove the nozzle without losing any air, it's a special nozzle, and car pumps are no good because as you remove the nozzle the air escapes. It only takes very little air in the shock but at high pressure.

Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I read you post forchetto about exhaust silenser modification again. So you've done work with your silenser cap. So can you take few picture of it.

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Very simple mod. I just removed the rivets that hold the stainless steel cap by drilling witha 5 mm drill. The holes are now tapped M6 to accept a M6 cap screw.
    Inside all you see is a steel wall with the outlet pipe coming out. I drilled 8 10 mm holes around the outlet pipe and its quite loud, but when I put the stainless cap back on the gases are prevented from coming out because the cap fits very close to the outlet pipe. I cut down the cone a bit more to allow the gasses out and now it sounds nice, specially on hard acceleration and the overrun. In town and at small throttle openings its still quiet enough.

I'll try and take some photos now but I'm still a bit drunk from celebrating our winning the European cup...
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Here's some photos:
    This is the now blanked-off SAI (secondary air injection) port:

This is what's behind the stainless steel cap, it now has 8 10 mm holes in it, but you can try with 3, 4, 6 etc until you like the sound. The holes that used to have rivets are now tapped M6 thread:

With the end cap in position. The main hole has been enlarged to allow more gases out, as originally it fitted very close to the outlet pipe. The fixing holes have been enlarged to 7,5 mm to provide good clearance for the M6 cap screws and make them easier to align with the threaded holes:

If in the future you want to go back on this mod, you'll have to make a blanking plate to cover the new holes.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thank you very much for photos.
    And yes I'm sorry. I congradulate YOU AND ALL SPAIN. YOUR FOOTBALL VICTORY WAS GREAT. And you really have right to celibrate.

And its good you said about rear shock absorber pump. Will try to find one at home. How much you pay for it?
    Last edited by vladg; 06-30-2008 at 06:14 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast