Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Registering your bike... 
    ...on someone else. How does it work to register your bike to another person? As I live on the second ring and I cannot get the B plates in legal way I was thinking to register my bike on my boss. I think he could accept that. The thing is... If I register my bike on him, does it mean that he is the official owner of the bike? I'd like to know in case I would change the office. Are there any other ways? Like to register on the agency or something? Many thanks!

2. #2 Re: Registering your bike... 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    the boss will have to be named on the official fapio, whether that means the original from the motorcycle dealership/manufacturer or else you have to "sell" him the bike for whatever sum (being realistic of course) and thereby create a second hand fapio on which tax has to be paid, then the bike can be plated to the new "owner" and yes, legally the motorbike will be his and he will be the registered owner - liable for all fines etc generated as a result of the motorbikes use except where the rider of the motorbike is ticketed directly. The thing is that if the bike has plates already, then these have to be handed in, or otherwise reassigned/sold and that's where the boundaries hassle transpires in places like SH and BJ where you folks have this inner verses outer ring road thing going on.

The problem is that transferring the motorbikes title can work just so you can get a plate, but becomes a real pain in the arse on almost every other level, re-inspection requires production of the registered owners ID card, accidents and claims require the presence of the registered owner if you/your motorbike have to deal with the traffic police or an insurance company to any great depth (simple accidents might just entail an agreement and exchange of cash one way or another on the side of the road with or without police attendance). If the bike is confiscated for whatever reason then the licensed owner has to 'front up' with his/her ID card and so on. Therefore if you want to be legal, then be 100% legal, where all the comeback is on you - so you don't have to depend on someone else for various aspects/formalities, after all relationships made today may not survive tomorrow for whatever reason.

My advice, find an alternative (legal) way. I'd say that at the end of the day - just be prepared to pay what it costs for the plate that you are required to have, registered in your name, at your address - it's by far the safest and the easiest solution IMHO.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 06-03-2011 at 04:33 AM.

3. #3 Re: Registering your bike... 
    C-Moto Guru
    I registered my residence in another place outside the restricted area for the bike registration. Afterwards moved back, nobody cared so far, even as the police called my wife to check why I moved to another place and she told them directly why and that I will move back soon, they happyly accepted the motorcycle registration as reason.

4. #4 Re: Registering your bike... 
    Thank you. Thats a really good answer for all my questions. I would like to have the legal plates on me (A) but I've read that to buy them you have to pay 45k RMB or something and that is even more than JH600. Would it be easy to sell the plates afterwards? They can get only more expensive next year right?

5. #5 Re: Registering your bike... 
    andre555: nice one! :) maybe I'll try that

6. #6 Re: Registering your bike... 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by filipu View Post
    Thank you. Thats a really good answer for all my questions. I would like to have the legal plates on me (A) but I've read that to buy them you have to pay 45k RMB or something and that is even more than JH600. Would it be easy to sell the plates afterwards? They can get only more expensive next year right?
    Hi filipu

I think you may have read about getting a plate in Shanghai - that is where it is very expensive. In Beijing, the A plate was about 15K rmb last month (someone told me it went up again this month). You can ask the dealer what the options are for a B plate, but carefully consider bikerdocs`wise advice. You can also ask another MCM member, Pat, about his experience with a B plate in Beijing. Pat is on a long trip but may have time for a reply. Pat`s ride report.

Good luck!

7. #7 Re: Registering your bike... 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Lao Jia Huo,

Filipu does raise an important question: Is the 15k (or 20k) you pay for a Beijing 京A plate a fee that gets gulped down by the bureaucracy, or a purchase of something that you now own and later can sell?

That's the saving grace of the Shanghai plate: It's a transferrable right to operate a motorcycle on city streets. When you sell a bike in Beijing, can you keep the plate for your next bike, or transfer it with the bike to the new owner at the market price? In Shanghai we can do either.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #8 Re: Registering your bike... 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Is the 15k (or 20k) you pay for a Beijing 京A plate a fee that gets gulped down by the bureaucracy, or a purchase of something that you now own and later can sell?
    As far as I know, the 15K is the price for the plate on an existing scrapped bike (including the bike price). That price includes a few fees for scrapping paperwork, etc (these total less than 1,000 rmb). The balance is presumably going to the seller of the junk-bike, and the agent's profit. If an agent buys a junk-bike for 10,000 rmb, then the agent's profit will be 4,000 rmb.

Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    That's the saving grace of the Shanghai plate: It's a transferrable right to operate a motorcycle on city streets. When you sell a bike in Beijing, can you keep the plate for your next bike, or transfer it with the bike to the new owner at the market price? In Shanghai we can do either.
    I'm pretty sure you can't do that in Beijing - I think the plate stays with the bike for life (11 years). But I may be wrong. I'll email TMB and ask ... fingers crossed that someone here doesn't bite my head off for "exposing to big brother what foreigners are doing." Hahaha. Oh well, it is nice to know the REAL rules, whether one follows them or not, personal choice.

Question for you - what happens to the bike you sell, in Shanghai? Is it an unplated bike that is permitted to be transferred? Just the green book (ownership) changes? How does the registration work?

9. #9 Re: Registering your bike... 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Question for you - what happens to the bike you sell, in Shanghai? Is it an unplated bike that is permitted to be transferred? Just the green book (ownership) changes? How does the registration work?
    Recently Ryanjpyle did exactly this -- selling Colin's F800GS to an out-of-Shanghai buyer, and flogging the plate on the Shanghai secondary market. I think this all went smoothly. Don't know what specific paperwork was provided to the buyer of the bike, but I'm sure Ryan had full ownership documentation as he purchased the bike new from one of the BMW agents in China (in Beijing, if memory serves).

I'm guessing that the transfer of the bike and the transfer/re-registration of the plate are entirely separate transactions, whether the bike and plate are sold together or separate.

Perhaps Ryan can chime in with details.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #10 Re: Registering your bike... 
    This is very interesting - maybe you can in Beijing. I just don't know.

When you do a bike here, there are two separate steps / places:

1) Place where the bike's ownership (green book) is done (in my case, it has always been at the used car market SW 4th ring road); then,
    2) Place where the registration (blue book) & plates are done (TMB) ... SE 4th ring road.

In a similar vein, back in 2005 I was working a lot in Harbin and I relocated a 京A CJ750 up there. I looked into transferring the plates and recall being told that my bike's 北京户口 (green book ownership & entire background file) had to be transferred & I would get new 黑A plates, but I could hang on to the 京A plate for when the bike returned (repeated the process in the opposite direction). It was quite convoluted, so I didn't bother (just rode around Heilongjiang with my 京A plate), but maybe, somehow, by chance, perhaps, a plate can be transferred from one "active" bike to another in Beijing.

Again, I just don't know - but I will ask & find out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast