Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Buying a QingQi in Shanghai 
    I'm looking for a good bike to take me and the missus cross country for 3 weeks during the summer. I first thought a cruiser would be a good choice but have been advised to go with a dual-sport.

So I had another poke about the other day to see what else was available. Went to an empty parking lot and a hotel which were sopposed to be zongshen and qingqi dealerships respectively. I eventually found another qingqi dealership near the b address of google maps result for qingqi motuoche (ie. address was also incorrect). the shop was chock full of scooters and 125 standards. there was one cruiser and a liger (200gy) in the front corner. the liger looked class but he wanted 15800 for it. non- negotiable he said. Checked the eqingqi shop and after sometime with my dictionary I found I had ordered one for only 0 rmb plus delivery (200rmb) I called them and found out that the dont actualy have any of the bikes in stock. they told me the bike i saw in the dealership was not going to be released until august. Called a dealer in hangzhou, he said that he will have one next week for a bit over 7000. Dont know what the difference between them is. You have the qm200gy b(a)/b(sd)/b(asd)/2b/i and so on so forth. From the site i can only find superficial differences, the specs seem the same but the bikes look different.

In short im drowning in a load of bs. Will try the dealership again with a chinese in my stead otherwise will have to train it to hangzhou to buy it, figure out how to ride it quicksnap and bring it home under cover of darkness (written test for driving licence on tuesday :)).

Any advice or offers of help in this respect would be greatly appreciated.

2. #2 Re: Buying a QingQi in Shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Clegg,

I rolled up next to a nice looking Qingqi a while back on Wuzhong Lu, and asked the guy where he bought it. He said there was a dealer near there. I didn't get the address but made a mental note to check it out. I remember chasing down a list of putative dealers here in Shanghai, and maybe even posting it in MCM. Unless it's been leveled for a new overpriced housing estate, the place the guy mentioned should be out in the general vicinity of the Dragon Rider shop at 2632 Wuzhong Lu (吴中路 2632号), somewhere near the Middle Ring.

Google lists the following locations:
    上海轻骑摩托车专卖有限公司,浦建路111号, Pudong Xinqu, Shanghai - 021-58898693
    轻骑摩托车专卖店,张杨路1685号, Pudong Xinqu, Shanghai
    东余杭路附近, Hongkou, Shanghai
    Alas, none is anywhere near Wuzhong Lu. Are any of these the ones you tried to find? Did you try that phone number?

Say, isn't Felix waiting for delivery of a new Qingqi? (Felix is out doing sidecar tours in the rain this morning, but hopefully he can chime in on the source of his new ride.)

Hope you find something! I'll nose around too.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Buying a QingQi in Shanghai 
    yea I tried the first two addresses. the first one both the number and the address belong to a hotel. Second one is where I met the guy who wanted the 15800 dowry, there must be some confusion but I managed to get a price from the factory.... they said that the bike I saw in the shop will be selling for around 10k in august, must be a mix-up, but I have pics of the bike and compared to the one on the website and they're the same. Didnt know the one in hongkou. May check it out tomorrow after I have my chinese teacher take a shot at the second one again. Will be happy to see his face if she gets a good price and I roll up and lay down a deposit. will be in wuzhong on tuesday for written test so will scope about.

C'mon felix :) Just p'md him

4. #4 Re: Buying a QingQi in Shanghai 
    The one called 'liger' is a 250, not 200.

I do indeed have one on order, but you're not going to hear anything nice from me. I ordered it direct from the factory in shandong, via a contact that a nice person gave me, in f#$%ing February. Qinqi are totally incapable of meeting their own deadlines and have absolutely no interest in their customers. They have totally ruined all my bike trip plans for which i had allocated time off work in may. On top of that it cannot be registered. I do not recommend getting one like that.

Either wait for them to be officially in the dealers or look for something else. Whatever you do, do not try dealing with the factory; they are government owned so it's a lost cause...

5. #5 Re: Buying a QingQi in Shanghai 
    Sorry to hear that man. I have noticed that a bit (about not about not caring for the customers. Im going around today again to try find a shop/haggle some more for the one i found. which one did you order? how much was it? do you know the difference between the different models? i cant figure it out like b(a), b(asd), b(sd)

6. #6 Re: Buying a QingQi in Shanghai 
    Mine is the b(asd), cost 14000.

See if the one in the shop is fuel injected or carburetted, the difference in price might be there. Mine has a carburetor and can't be registered, but the fuel injection version (EFI) should be registerable. If you don't know how to tell the difference search the forum, it's been covered a lot too

7. #7 Re: Buying a QingQi in Shanghai 
    Got it, deposit down. Took my chinese teacher with me to the shop. Got them down to 14000 quite easily (could've got more) but I got a bit excited and they reckoned 14 enough. The owner of the shop was pretty cool. Seems pretty genuine, he said tho that he cant register me for the licence plate if im not shanghainese. I saw a post of someone here who knows how to do it as a foreigner, if you read this let me know who you are otherwise I will go through the threads again. Also he said if I can't get the gike taken for no licence plate and if I do to call him and he'll help me out of it. I think he said he knows someone.

DSC02317.jpgpicture-qingqi-qm200gy.jpg

QM200 GY B(A)
    Now just three long weeks to wait to gather the rest of the money and learn how to drive :p and I have my first bike :DD can't f**king wait

8. #8 Re: Buying a QingQi in Shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Congratulations! Lots of folks in this forum riding various flavors of that bike, all of them smiling. Check out another thread today on dual sport luggage for the Qingqi rack, which is all of 80 rmb in taobao.

Nice!

Now about registration, the shop owner may have never registered a bike for a non-local, but if it can be registered for a local it can be registered for a foreigner. There is no longer this kind of discrimination, and he is presumably just not up to speed. If he's saying the bike CAN be registered in Shanghai, you are good to go! If you are outside of downtown, go for the 沪C plate and you'll be in business in a couple of weeks.

Look forward to riding with you!

cheers
    Last edited by euphonius; 06-05-2011 at 01:32 PM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #9 Re: Buying a QingQi in Shanghai 
    *low bow* thanks a million euph for all you help, you rock. The heads up on the luggage rack was the cherry.

10. #10 Re: Buying a QingQi in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by corporal_clegg View Post
    Got it, deposit down. Took my chinese teacher with me to the shop. Got them down to 14000 quite easily (could've got more) but I got a bit excited and they reckoned 14 enough. The owner of the shop was pretty cool. Seems pretty genuine, he said tho that he cant register me for the licence plate if im not shanghainese. I saw a post of someone here who knows how to do it as a foreigner, if you read this let me know who you are otherwise I will go through the threads again. Also he said if I can't get the gike taken for no licence plate and if I do to call him and he'll help me out of it. I think he said he knows someone.

DSC02317.jpgpicture-qingqi-qm200gy.jpg

QM200 GY B(A)
    Now just three long weeks to wait to gather the rest of the money and learn how to drive :p and I have my first bike :DD can't f**king wait
    Hi Corporal, it might be you read my post before. I was at the same dealer about 10 days ago. He told me exactly the same story. BTW: I saw this bike about 16 months ago stored there for the first time. That time he told me 14800 and 13800 after short negotiation. So, I thought now, after 1.5 years the bike is so outdated I get it for 10000. This was about 2 months ago I went to him with cash but we stopped at 13000 and I left. Finally, 10 days ago I was there again and told him go ahead with 13k and arrange the Hu C paltes, please. He said, this will be 22k in total. Fine... But at the end of our talk he said actually he does not know how to arrange it for a foreigner withou SH hukou
    and how much rmb I have to spend in addition to "convience" the authority in charge. He promissed to figure it out and call back my wife (the guy does not speak EN). Since then he never called back. So I guess I will forget him. BTW: the bike has a carb and is the 2009 model, China 2 standard, but the lao ban said he was able to get the plates as "backdated" or so. Funny thing about him is also, as I argued the bike is no more new and can have potentially internal damages from corrosion (engine, front brake) he refused as he said the bike has not seen any gasoline in the tank yet and as such is dry and new, ha ha.

Cheers,

Maciej

PS: actually I was intending to order a JH600 (got the opportunity to make a short test ride on Milton's - thanks to you!) But for the moment I decided to buy something lightweighted as a beginner rider in SH. I think if i have the plates, i can change any time to the JH600 or any bigger bike, let's see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast