Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Road-trip advice 
    Thanks everyone for their help so far. Have almost all the information I need for our trip. New bike on the way, safety gear selected. Just need to finish making the money, decide whether or not I'll be getting a plate (real/fake) and get my drivers licence then we're off... but where?

I'm not really sure of the possible range ( qingqi 200 gy w. passenger, 25 days off). Ideally we would like to go to guangdong (snake farms), guangxi and yunnan because they look like really beautiful places but it's quite far and I don't think we can make it. Also this will be our first trip. As I have never even taken a motorbike out of first gear yet (will have one month practice before we go) I don't know how we can get on so I think that we should better make a shorter northern loop. Go to look at the terracotta army, then inner mongolia along the great wall, back down then through ShanDong (qingdao and weihai are supposed to be nice cities tho I don't know how much that means considering all things relative) and jiangsu. But then I fear this route may be too densely populated.

What do you think about the feasibility/quality of this trip. I'm not really conservative (we're both quite young 23 & 29) want to do as much as possible but I dont want to make some stupid mistakes and end up taking a crappy route (by crappy i dont mean messy but boring or busy).

p.s. you don't need to direct me to the ride reports I'm going through them and estimate we could get to yunnan in one week of consistent riding, do you think that's possible?
    Last edited by corporal_clegg; 06-06-2011 at 12:44 PM.

2. #2 Re: Road-trip advice 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by corporal_clegg View Post
    ....decide whether or not I'll be getting a plate (real/fake) and get my drivers licence then we're off... but where?....
    .....I dont want to make some stupid mistakes....
    Not getting a real license plate, rego and proper docs (bike d-license) will be the biggest stupidest mistake you can make, are you really that naive?

Ride safe! PAL

3. #3 Re: Road-trip advice 
    :S well i will have everything else. Just the plate be fake. It's kind of a budget issue and I'm going with safety gear and bike first, then plate. Am I being naive? People drive in shanghai without plates, I cant imagine getting pulled over in rural jiangxi for no plate. Will be wearing full face helm's. won't be going on the expressway, I understand that I may be fucked if I crash but I'd rather get good gear than a 沪C when/if I have to chose.

I will be getting my drivers licence lol, don't worry, I can't even drive right now.

4. #4 Re: Road-trip advice 
    C-Moto Senior
    Just the plate be fake. It's kind of a budget issue and I'm going with safety gear and bike first, then plate.
    Mate, can't afford to ride with a legal plate and docs, stay home would be the best advice I can give you.

Am I being naive? People drive in shanghai without plates
    Straight forward, naive morons like you, thinking they can stay above the law because they are foreigners in China crack me up big time!

Happy travels & Ride safe! Pal

5. #5 Re: Road-trip advice 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    Not getting a real license plate, rego and proper docs (bike d-license) will be the biggest stupidest mistake you can make, are you really that naive?
    Ride safe! PAL
    ... what he said...

6. #6 Re: Road-trip advice 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Please do register the bike. You don't have to register it in Shanghai. Registration, insurance and all the paper work cost about 1100 rmb here in KM for my 200cc bike. If you're really concerned about the budget, you might really regret not doing this later. Really, shit happens. Add to that you say you're new to riding. Really, it's easy to be legal, compared to the alternatives and possibilities, it really easy. Also, buy more insurace. Not just the standard mandatory insurance. Really doing less is just stupid.

The good country starts from Guangxi and then Yunnan. From advice here on MCM and other sources, you could consider skipping the east and starting somewhere from Guangxi. But I'm not the China guru here, maybe wait for more advice from other China hacks. Remember, you could always put the bike on a train.

I also didn't have a chance to take an msf course, had to learn on my own. Practice stopping, you want to stop in as short distance as possible while still in control of the bike, upright. A plus would be to be in first gear. Remember, you can't brake and swerve at the same time, well, you can as long as you don't lock your tires. Learn to feel your tires starting to skid, and how to recover. For a rear skid, the throttle is your friend. Front skids are more difficult... and I really wouldn't know what to do then. The above is just survival tips I keep telling myself, by no means complete. I'm sure other people can offer much more professional advice.

Seriously, not trying to scare you, but riding in China is scary sometimes. With all the precautions, there's a high probability you will still be caught off guard, DON'T freak out. And spare the road rage for your ride report, or dear diary. Really because the truck driver that just kicked open his door inches away from your helmet has no idea what you're so angry about.

If you're looking for long range and ride anywhere bike, check out the Shineray long march XY200-GY7. I'm not sure you can still register the bike with the new C3 emiisions standard though. The tank takes 20L! But seriously, the areas you will be riding in are littered with gas stations. Also, don't be fooled by the 200cc engine. It feels seriously underpowered, and vibrates ALOT! If I were to buy a bike again, I would seriously consider a Honda 150 Wuyang / CBX150 Sundiro. Cost you about ~7K rmb. The bike is lower, lighter, and you can find parts anywhere. Shineray are really difficult to deal with, I always had problems getting parts for my long march. The Qingqi's have a much better reputation, but alas, was too small for me. I just felt cramped.

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...na-Top-14-Tips
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ew-Rider-Guide
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ow-cars-see-us

7. #7 Re: Road-trip advice 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Another huge factor to remember, Clegg, is that you are talking about riding two-up. That means double the responsibility -- not just legally, but morally. I'm assuming you love this girl....

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #8 Re: Road-trip advice 
    I will register the bike, I will have insurance, I will have a licence

Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post

Straight forward, naive morons like you, thinking they can stay above the law because they are foreigners in China crack me up big time!
    no need for name calling Pal. Thanks for opening the discussion but I'm actually not a moron. I'm new to this so give me a f***kin break. You know as well as I that plenty of people her aren't fully legal, foreigner or no.

Slabo: How long does it take to get a plate down there do you know? Do you just need the temporary residence from the police station. I will be doing some drills before I leave for sure, with her on aswell when I get better. What do you mean about skid? Do you mean when cornering, or on wet, or when breaking?

And yea I've read enough stories on MCM to be worried, I do want to get plated but even if I do get the money I don't know how, neither dows the guy in the bike shop. I will ask him next week again.

Going for my written test right now :DD can't wait to start practical

9. #9 Re: Road-trip advice 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    ...Going for my written test right now :DD can't wait to start practical
    Good luck with the written exam. Remember, rote memorization wins the day over logic in this test. I passed with something like 93 out of 100, on my second attempt (first was 89). And I still have no idea what I got wrong.

Let's meet soon if you like, and we can start discussing in detail your plans. There's too much great riding in China to be able to capture it all in one ride. So you should try to plan something with the greatest odds of being excellent for the both of you, rather than comprehensive.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #10 Re: Road-trip advice 
    C-Moto Guru
    I will register the bike, I will have insurance, I will have a licence

I do want to get plated but even if I do get the money I don't know how, neither dows the guy in the bike shop. I will ask him next week again.
    There are posts right here detailing how to get your bike plated. Depending on where your residence permit is registered (your present address) you may have the option of the slightly cheaper C plate (7500 RMB). Getting your bike registered outside of Shanghai with a Shanghai residence permit will be more difficult and necessitates using a second party.

Good luck on your exam, and hoping to hear more from you as you go through the remaining hurdles to setting up your trip.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast