Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Road-trip advice 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Clegg,

Need to check to be sure, but I think the restrictions on the 沪C plate relate to the Inner Ring, not the Middle or Outer Ring. Every day I pass under Zhongshan North Road, i.e., the Inner Ring, and there's a sign saying no 沪C or 沪B plates beyond that point. Didn't you say you were outside the Inner Ring?

Guy to ask would be Dewsnap, who currently rides under the 沪C banner.

Wonder whether there's a friendly email answer line like the one Lao Jia Huo discovered in Beijing...

Yes, Taobao can be a wonderous thing!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #22 Re: Road-trip advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Clegg,

Need to check to be sure, but I think the restrictions on the 沪C plate relate to the Inner Ring, not the Middle or Outer Ring. Every day I pass under Zhongshan North Road, i.e., the Inner Ring, and there's a sign saying no 沪C or 沪B plates beyond that point. Didn't you say you were outside the Inner Ring?
    cheers
    Dewsnap's outside the outer ring. I am in contact with him, I'm just inside the middle one. I thought you couldn't ride within the outer ring... sourcing bits and pieces from online. Eg. shanghaiexpat

Ugh, now i read on the newbie to shanghai thread that your work permit must be a year old (which mine is not). I have the bike shop guy making calls
    Last edited by corporal_clegg; 06-08-2011 at 05:32 PM.

3. #23 Re: Road-trip advice 
    My chinese was enough to discern the possible relevance of this post but not enough to deduce meaning

沪C牌照
    标签:大洋海底世界 环线 中环线 牌照
    回答:1 浏览:6786 提问时间:2009-08-11 19:05
    沪C牌照能去内环线以外,中环线边上的地方吗?
    2009-08-11 19:21 补充问题
    大洋海底世界?
    相关资料: 全国汽车牌照大全.doc更多资料>>
    最佳答案 此答案由提问者自己选择,并不代表爱问知识人的观点 揪错 ┆ 评论

xiongxiao_o8qb4
    [新手]
    兄弟 我也郊区的 买沪C牌照 比上海牌照(非沪C)和外地牌照都合算呀。上海牌照(非沪C)实在太贵了,基本维持在3-4万一张,等于把一辆QQ挂在新车上啦,外地牌照现在也贵啦,江浙一带的都要好几千啦,通行费方面上海牌照 (非沪C)和外地牌照 每年都要交1800元,而沪C牌照每年才交900元,900元够去市区几次了,沪C牌照去不能去的地方一次 200元,沪C牌照一个才1000元不到,比非沪C便宜3-4万呢,3-4万存银行,每年的利息都能去不能去的地方很多次啦。所以要是不经常去市区的话,买沪C的划算。不过买沪C 最大的悲哀就是“沪C牌照的车能跑到北京天安门广场,跑不到上海人民广场”太讽刺了。

4. #24 Re: Road-trip advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by corporal_clegg View Post
    My chinese was enough to discern the possible relevance of this post but not enough to deduce meaning

沪C牌照
    标签:大洋海底世界 环线 中环线 牌照
    回答:1 浏览:6786 提问时间:2009-08-11 19:05
    沪C牌照能去内环线以外,中环线边上的地方吗?
    2009-08-11 19:21 补充问题
    大洋海底世界?
    相关资料: 全国汽车牌照大全.doc更多资料>>
    最佳答案 此答案由提问者自己选择,并不代表爱问知识人的观点 揪错 ┆ 评论

xiongxiao_o8qb4
    [新手]
    兄弟 我也郊区的 买沪C牌照 比上海牌照(非沪C)和外地牌照都合算呀。上海牌照(非沪C)实在太贵了,基本维持在3-4万一张,等于把一辆QQ挂在新车上啦,外地牌照现在也贵啦,江浙一带的都要好几千啦,通行费方面上海牌照 (非沪C)和外地牌照 每年都要交1800元,而沪C牌照每年才交900元,900元够去市区几次了,沪C牌照去不能去的地方一次 200元,沪C牌照一个才1000元不到,比非沪C便宜3-4万呢,3-4万存银行,每年的利息都能去不能去的地方很多次啦。所以要是不经常去市区的话,买沪C的划算。不过买沪C 最大的悲哀就是“沪C牌照的车能跑到北京天安门广场,跑不到上海人民广场”太讽刺了。
    it seems bike with 沪C/外地 plate have to pay entry fee to enter city center, sort of like congestion charge, but cannot reach some certain area while 沪A CAN, which cost is equal paying a brand new Cherry QQ (a mini car). He also say it only justify the price if visit town frequently.

5. #25 Re: Road-trip advice 
    thanks td-ref.

according to the Interim Provisions of Shanghai Municipality on Motorbike Administration (1997, I can't find anything more recent)

It says that
    Article 3
    A “ motorbike” in the present Provisions refers to a bicycle that uses a small gasoline motor but can also be footpedaled.
    Article 4
    A motorbike shall meet the following main technical requirements:
    (1)The functional volume of the gasoline motor shall not exceed 36 cubic centimeter;
    (2)The maximum design speed shall not exceed 24 kilometers per hour;
    (3)The main safety devices, such as the brake, the handlebar, the bell or horn, the head light and back reflector, shall be adequate equipped and in good condition; and
    (4)The wheels shall be 510-660 millimeter in diameter.

and

Article 10
    Motorbike owners applying for a motorbike license under Article 12 (1) of the present Provisions shall submit the application to the traffic control department under the public security bureau of the district or county where his/her permanent residentstatus is registered.
    When applying for a motorbike license, motorbike owners shall provide the following:
    (1) the Shanghai resident identification card;
    (2) Purchase receipt or other certificates to prove lawful ownership of the motorbike;
    (3) The motorbike's quality certificate issued by the manufacturer;
    (4) Certificate of third party liability insurance issued by an insurance company in Shanghai; and
    (5) Receipt for the payment of tax for use of vehicles.

and

Motorbike license plates shall have two types:
    (1) Downtown plate;
    (2) Suburban plate.
    The plate shall be placed in the fixed position in front of the handlebar.
    Article 12
    Permanent residents in all the counties, as well as in Pudong New Area (areas beyond the Inner Ring Road), Baoshan District, Jiading District and Minhang District may apply for a suburban plate.
    No more new downtown plates shall be granted.
    When motorbikes bearing a downtown plate are discarded as useless, their plates will be canceled.

So I cannot find the law pertaining to motorcycles (I'm guessing thats what mine is, I would've called it a motorbike or motorcycle). On the traffic control website I can only find laws form 2001 onwards. The 1997 law came from a google search

6. #26 Re: Road-trip advice 
    The plate shall be placed in the fixed position in front of the handlebar.
    I have a outside-of-PRC question. Is this also required in Europe or US? Because I don't think i see plate in the front of their bikes at internet videos.

7. #27 Re: Road-trip advice 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by td_ref View Post
    I have a outside-of-PRC question. Does this also required in Europe or US? Because I don't think i see any plate in front at their bikes at internet videos.
    No - plate only at the back of a bike.

8. #28 Re: Road-trip advice 
    we'll that was all much ado about nothing.I spent Time going throught the Shanghai government websites (in English) and they were suspiciously void of any information about riding motorcycles at all, never mind the plate issue. So I thinks to myself why am I relying on the internet and MCM to arrange my stuff, just call them. They didn't know either, THE MOTOR BEUREU said they didn't think it was possible lol. I told them it certainly was and just wanted to know how so I could tell connect my bike-shop-guy...hold...questions...sorry were pretty sure a non-Shanghainese cannot register a plate.

Never ceases to amaze, in a final effort I gave the qingqi dealership the number of the regal dealership and hey-presto 没问题. It's a bit like Zelda or final fantasy, moving around the city, meeting people, get one piece of information to get another, putting the puzzle together. Can't wait to finish this level and move on to the big boss. The open road!!!!

9. #29 Re: Road-trip advice 
    C-Moto Regular
    If you're going in rural areas and not using the expressway, then I wouldn't bother registering the bike

However, there is a risk involved, and it means you have to vigilant for police and checkpoints. Generally speaking, the risk is very small, but you do need to be careful when approaching city center areas (best not to venture into the city). You also need to be careful at major intersections, toll boths, or at provincial borders.

Registration is of course a good idea if you're staying within a localized area and you're a resident of a city, etc. But registration is pretty much useless if you're going between cities or taking a cross-country trip as it sounds like the OP wants to do.

Technically, you're illegal once you cross the city or provincial border, as most other cities won't allow 'wai di' bikes. It's all based on the most absurd thing that China has going: the hukou household registration system, and the localization of everything happening within a 'shi' or a city. Outdated development model.

10. #30 Re: Road-trip advice 
    Where's PAL... anybody seen PAL? PAAAAAL?

I'll have to get sorted when I come back to Shanghai anyway and I rhink I'm on top of the budget situation so I may as well do it now.

The only time I think it'll really make a difference outside is in minor crashes. I've had problems in other countries before (not on a bike) where not having all my papers in perfect order lost me myl rights.Here it seems that in major crashes the non-local or richest person is always at fault.I'll do what I can to cover my bases. Heard a sad story about a young girl who was scootering around last weekend, no helmet, papers, nothing. Had to abort overtaking on a hard shoulder and smashed into another biker breaking his leg and killing herself. Now He's f_cked even though fully legal and plenty of people to prove that he was in the right.

Remember that question in the test: The parties in an accident may dispute the police report of the accident in the peoples court. The answer was false.

Who is OP? Old People?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast